The Recipe Thread

Nathan

London Broil to perfection.

Baked potato

(Antioxidant) salad. Lots of berries, walnuts, mixed greens, English cucs, red onion, celery, fresh mint tossed with pomegranate and lemon juice. Divine!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

For the cookout tomorrow:

Ingredients

9 potatoes,

6 slices bacon

3/4 cup chopped onions

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons white sugar

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon celery seed

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

3/4 cup water

1/3 cup distilled white vinegar

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 30 minutes. Drain, cool and slice thin.

Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside, reserving drippings.

Saute onions in bacon drippings until they are golden-brown.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, celery seed, and pepper. Add to the sauteed onions and cook and stir until bubbly, then remove from heat. Stir in water and vinegar, then return to the stove and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute. Carefully stir bacon and sliced potatoes into the vinegar/water mixture, stirring gently until potatoes are heated through.

Hi all,

For the cookout tomorrow:

Ingredients

9 potatoes,

6 slices bacon

3/4 cup chopped onions

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons white sugar

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon celery seed

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

3/4 cup water

1/3 cup distilled white vinegar

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 30 minutes. Drain, cool and slice thin.

Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside, reserving drippings.

Saute onions in bacon drippings until they are golden-brown.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, celery seed, and pepper. Add to the sauteed onions and cook and stir until bubbly, then remove from heat. Stir in water and vinegar, then return to the stove and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute. Carefully stir bacon and sliced potatoes into the vinegar/water mixture, stirring gently until potatoes are heated through.

:wtf:Is all-purpose flour?

Plain or self raising.

It sounds really nice, I'm gonna give this a go later.

Edited by Fool In The Rain 60

Hi all,

Mum,watch your language! :P

Gold Medal Flour

KB

I'm still non the wiser.

Perhaps I will Goggle it.

And I do apologise for my Language. ;)

I know what it is now.. A blend of hard and soft wheat.

As far as I know we don't have it in the UK, so I will use self raising. :)

Edited by Fool In The Rain 60

Hi all,

Well then Mum,get out of the kitchen! :D

Bleached flour

"Bleached flour" is any flour with a whitening agent added and is referred to as refined flour. Cake flour is high in starch and low in protein and when chlorinated (bleached) allows cakes and other baked goods to set faster, rise better, the fat to be distributed more evenly, and there is less vulnerability to collapse. There are several kinds of bleaching agents added to flour. These agents oxidizes the surfaces of the flour grains and aids with developing (maturing) of gluten. Bleaching makes flour slightly acidic and the taste can be noticed. The chlorination does assist in causing the small bubbles that allow baked

KB

• 1 month later...

Chocolate Guinness cupcakes (three of my favourite things together :D mmmmm...)

Makes 24 cupcakes

Cupcake ingredients

1 (12-ounce) bottle Guinness stout

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

3 large eggs

3/4 cup sour cream

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, plus more for garnish

2 cups sugar

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

Frosting ingredients

1 (8-ounce) pkg cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 lb confectioners' sugar

Cocoa powder, for dusting

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the Guinness, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the sour cream.

3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour, and baking soda. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet Guinness mixture.

4. Butter 24 muffin tins and divide the batter among the muffin tins.

5. Bake 25 minutes, until risen and set in the middle but still soft and tender. Cool before turning out of the tins.

6. Beat the cream cheese in a bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the heavy cream. Slowly mix in the confectioners' sugar. Top each cupcake with a heap of frosting and dust with cocoa.

I made these for my b-day party last night and they were a hit! In fact, I just had one with breakfast. What? For b-fast? Damn straight!!cool.gif

• 3 months later...

Had a taco bar dinner party last night and I made this fruit tart for dessert. Always an impressive hit. It has four layers and and takes a little while to make but always worth it. A light and delicious dessert to follow dinner. And the layers can be swithed out in experimentation.

316182_799444769310_19901900_38088734_1807777313_n.jpg

Fruit Tart

1st Layer

Crumble @48 nilla wafers and 1/3 cup walnuts or almonds (optional) with 1/4 sugar, mix in 1/3 cup melted butter and press into bottom of a springform pan. Refrigerate while you make the next layer.

2nd Layer

Soften an 8 oz brick of cream cheese. Whip up with 1/4 sugar. Add 1 cup prepared vanilla pudding and 1 cup soften cool whip.

Add to whipped cream cheese and whip together until smooth. Scrap onto cookie layer and smooth out.

3rd layer

Fresh or frozen blueberries, fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced and fresh or frozen rasberries. Arrange in a pleasing pattern on top of the cream cheese layer. If you use frozen I would recommend waiting until just before the last layer because the juices will start to run as they thaw.

4th layer

Make a small box of jello. I usually use lemon but in the photo I used orange because silly me bought lemon pudding by mistake.

Set in the fridge to soft set ( its jellatinous but not firm, so stir and check it often). Once at the right consistancy, spoon over the fruit to cover completely and set in the fridge to finish the jello set.

Just before serving, remove the outside of the springform pan carefully, (you may need to run a knife around the edge to break away the jello from the sides) and serve.

Enjoy!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Cecil,all,

Anjin, Just the basic cook in advance type stuff...

Rather than me faffing around in the kitchen, While guests help themselves too my booze. You know...!

:D

Alright,.....1-2lbs of ground beef 80/20 should feed(to keep 'em silent for a few minutes) 4-8 folks.

Bread crumbs a cup or two,onion,1/2 cup,diced,2-3 eggs beaten.Any spices,herbs on hand.Mix well,place in a pan 2"-4" thick.Bake in the oven at 350° for 40-50 minutes.

KB

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Time to bring this thread back to life. I have had the yearly disagreement over the cranberry relish vs the jelly you buy by Ocean Spray or other brands. I make my own with cranberries, oranges, sugar and walnuts. You just cant beat it home made. I wont eat that crap in a can. My wife can have it. But then she undoubtedly give in and get a spoonfull of my home made and if its a year that it comes out great she will give in and admit its better. This year the cranberries are very red. I believe they are from Mass? Because in Cape Cod in the novelty stores there are so many cranberry items and I think most of them come from up there. Ill freeze what I dont use tomorrow for Xmas.

As for the Turkey, I know people use different methods. I prefer to simply do it in the oven roasted and the last hour uncovered to brown it and cook the wings, which I love, crisp. I get gravy packets by McCormick just in case the drippings are not great on a particular turkey. But usually it works out fine. The idea is to get rid of as much grease as you can and then add hot water and stir up the drippings and add salt and pepper and then flour to thicken.

My butternut squash I did weeks in advance and froze. Some local farms have outdoor sales on it with pumpkins and such.

Time to bring this thread back to life. I have had the yearly disagreement over the cranberry relish vs the jelly you buy by Ocean Spray or other brands. I make my own with cranberries, oranges, sugar and walnuts. You just cant beat it home made. I wont eat that crap in a can. My wife can have it. But then she undoubtedly give in and get a spoonfull of my home made and if its a year that it comes out great she will give in and admit its better. This year the cranberries are very red. I believe they are from Mass? Because in Cape Cod in the novelty stores there are so many cranberry items and I think most of them come from up there. Ill freeze what I dont use tomorrow for Xmas.

As for the Turkey, I know people use different methods. I prefer to simply do it in the oven roasted and the last hour uncovered to brown it and cook the wings, which I love, crisp. I get gravy packets by McCormick just in case the drippings are not great on a particular turkey. But usually it works out fine. The idea is to get rid of as much grease as you can and then add hot water and stir up the drippings and add salt and pepper and then flour to thicken.

My butternut squash I did weeks in advance and froze. Some local farms have outdoor sales on it with pumpkins and such.

:thumbsup:

I can't have Thanksgiving or Easter without making Dill Bread. The family would riot if I didn't.

I make my dough in the bread maker machine and then finish the second part by hand.

Mix 1 pkg active dry yeast with 1/4 c. warm water. `Add 2 tlbs sugar, 1 tsp. salt 1 c. sour cream (full fat, not light) 1/4 c. minced onion, 1 tlbs dill weed, 1 egg, 2 tlbs olive oil and 2-3 c. flour. Mix in bread maker or knead 8-10 minutes and let rise 1 1/2 hr until double. Punch down and let rest 10 minutes. Divide into 3 pieces and make each piece into an 18' rope and braid, pressing ends under. Cover and let rise 30 minutes. Combine 1 egg yolk with 1 tsp water and brush the surface and then sprinkle with poppy and/or sesame seeds. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to learn the art of making good biscuits from scratch. Anyone have any good tips.

I made a batch from my cook book last night and while they were acceptable they could use improvement. I know you are not suppose to work the flour too much after you add the wet ingredients and that's probably what I need to work on. Will use my hands instead of utinsils next time. It may take a few attempts with tweaking to make some really good biscuits.

• 1 month later...

Magic Bars:

1/2 c unsalted butter

1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs

1 c semisweet chocolate chips

1 c butterscotch chips

1 c chopped walnuts

1 can (14oz) sweet cond milk

1 1/3 c shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350F. I use a 13x9 pan.

Melt butter in pan in oven; swirl butter to coat pan..bottom and sides.

Spread graham cracker crumbs evenly over bottom..I usually mix them with the butter first to make a crust, then pat down.

Layer choc chips, butterscotch chips and nuts over graham cracker crumbs. (1 layer of each)

Pour milk over nuts

Sprinkle coconut over milk

Bake x 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Let cool before cutting.

Hi all,

Anytime! I have 4,000 recipes for meatloaf. :P

KB

I know, me too! Today I making one with potato chips, crackers, barbecue sauce and bacon in the recipe...it's a Guy Fieri thing! Love him!!

My kitchen smells heavenly right now...