The Recipe Thread

Nathan

The best cake ever:

1 box of butter yellow cake mix

1 can of 'Solo' Almond Filling. NOT paste

Prepare cake as directed on box, then add almond filling. Bake as directed...

I use a confectioners sugar icing as frosting, but you don't need anything...

Great with coffee!

Enjoy!

Edited by planted

The best cake ever:

Great with coffee!

Enjoy!

Is this allowed? Surely this is a recipe thread? Come on Planted. I could say the best Pizza ever is a Sloppy Joe. Open the box, remove the pizza, put it in the oven on 200 c ( 180 fan) cook for 10 mins, slice into eighths. Eat

Edited by chillumpuffer

Is this allowed? Surely this is a recipe thread? Come on Planted. I could say the best Pizza ever is a Sloppy Joe. Open the box, remove the pizza, put it in the oven on 200 c ( 180 fan) cook for 10 mins, slice into eighths. Eat

Oh, get over yourself. Haha

I love this recipe...it is embarassingly easy, which Im sure is a welcome surprise to some of my gal pals here.

But, I take your point, chillumpuffer. ;)

The best cake ever:

Great with coffee!

Enjoy!

That sounds really good!

I've tried a couple of bagel recipes recently and both turned out well. This one had 1-2 fewer steps, and the bagels were really good:

http://flourarrangements.org/2012/02/a-better-bagel/

I made one batch with wheat flour only, and another with white bread flour.

Edited by Virginia

• 1 year later...

CHILI

Here is the recipe to my homemade chili - hope some of you try this recipe, especially if you like spicy!

Heat Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large pot.

Dice 3 large Spanish onions, finely chop as much fresh garlic as you want - add onions and garlic to EVOO and saute

Cut 10 jalapenos and saute them with the garlic and onions.

Brown 4 pounds of ground sirloin or whatever meat you desire. Make sure to brown in a different pot. Once browned, drain fat and add to the onions, garlic and jalapenos.

Once you've added the meat, add 4 large cans of diced tomatoes, or sometimes I get whole tomatoes and crush them by hand. Doing the latter gives the dish more texture. Once the tomatoes are added, let cook for about 10 minutes.

Add Cayenne Pepper, Cumin, Paprika, and Chili Powder. I add these ingredients a few times before the chili is done, giving them a chance to cook into the other ingredients. I don't measure the amount of these ingredients, I add according to taste. Let cook for approximately 20 minutes.

The final ingredient is Brooks Hot Chili Beans. I add 2 large cans. Add the beans and let the chili cook for another 15 minutes or so.

I usually serve the chili with oyster crackers and fresh french bread. I sometimes make pasta elbows or another pasta the second day for chili mac.

Edited by Amstel

• 3 months later...

Dang, I think I may have created this thread in a former life. lOL. Anyway, my cranberry relish turned out great this year. My wife who normally is not a fan of it even liked it.

2 recipes follow cranberry relish and butternut squash

The secret is using honey instead of sugar

A bag of Ocean Spray cranberries, the redder you can find the better.

3 small clementine oranges (seedless)

Honey to taste, probably a bit more than half of one of those small honey bears.

Walnuts (makes it better unless you have an allergy or do not like nuts)

After processing the cranberries and oranges and mixing with the honey, allow at least 4-5 days in the refrigerator to let the sugar from the honey work on the berries. Stir it after a day or two. If you think it needs more honey add some and it will be fine.

My butternut squash comes out very good also

I cut in half length ways 3 heads of butternut squash

Bake at 350 for a couple hours and until a fork goes in easy

Then scrape the insides out after it is cooled enough to handle with a pot holder into a large bowl

Add 1/2 to 3/4 of a stick of butter

Honey (maybe a half a bear or a little more)

Brown Sugar (maybe about 3 tablespoons but to taste-the honey will sweeten it alot)

Use an electric mixer on high and it will be smooth with no lumps. You will love it.

• 5 years later...

Easy homemade picante (HOT)

10 dry Chile de árbol pods

2 garlic buds

1/4 brown onion

2 cans of diced tomatoes

2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar

1 tablespoon of salt

1 tablespoon of sugar

Roast dry chilies for a few minutes in skillet to get oils moving inside the dry pods and then add to a small saucepan of boiling water with onion and garlic buds.

Let boil for 5 minutes until all are soft then put in blender with canned diced tomatoes and other ingredients and blend on high until the picante is smooth and thin.

If you like hot picante sauce on tacos or eggs in the morning, this is really easy to make. Not quite as hot as habenero picante, but much hotter than jalapeno picante.

Edited by kipper

• 4 months later...
On 12/21/2020 at 4:25 PM, Charles J. White said:

I make a good vegan pasta sauce with beyond meat and white rice pasta. In recent months I've been learning how to cook. It's nice being in the kitchen

I have Risotto down very good.  I love it. So Xmas Eve I really have my work cut out. I am going to make my pizza's early, have them on the pizza round tins with the holes and put them in frig.  I am making a double batch of Risotto (Arborrio Italian rice, shallots, Chardonnay, chicken broth and Parmesan Reggiano)>  Then I am going to tackle chocolate souffle and cheese souffle.  Have shrimp and Xmas cookies and snacks  also.  The souffle's are the bigger challenge. I have the ramekins, separating the eggs and them using the kitchen aid to beat them and the mix and then folding and baking has to be done delicately.  I have only done them twice, and was lucky. Now I am hooked.  Cream of tartar is used in one but the strangest ingredient is the cayenne, which gives it a little zip.  It really does the trick

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I have Risotto down very good.  I love it. So Xmas Eve I really have my work cut out. I am going to make my pizza's early, have them on the pizza round tins with the holes and put them in frig.  I am making a double batch of Risotto (Arborrio Italian rice, shallots, Chardonnay, chicken broth and Parmesan Reggiano)>  Then I am going to tackle chocolate souffle and cheese souffle.  Have shrimp and Xmas cookies and snacks  also.  The souffle's are the bigger challenge. I have the ramekins, separating the eggs and them using the kitchen aid to beat them and the mix and then folding and baking has to be done delicately.  I have only done them twice, and was lucky. Now I am hooked.  Cream of tartar is used in one but the strangest ingredient is the cayenne, which gives it a little zip.  It really does the trick

I've been making cauliflower pizza dough, it's fantastic! Gluten free! with beyond meat with no cheese. I actually eat it with no cheese now. 

Hearty Potato Chowder

2 cups diced pared potatoes

1/2 cup sliced carrots

1 teaspoon salt

2 cups water

2 tablespoons chopped onion

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons all-purpose flower

1/4 teaspoon paprika

1/8 teaspoon pepper

2 cups 2% low fat milk

2 slices crisp bacon, crumbled

In medium saucepan, cook potatoes and carrots in salted water until tender. In medium skillet, cook onion in butter for 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour and seasonings; mix well. Gradually stir in milk. Add to potato mixture in saucepan. Stir over low heat until slightly thickened. Top with crumbled bacon. 4 to 5 servings

Edited by luvlz2

On 12/23/2020 at 4:58 PM, luvlz2 said:

Hearty Potato Chowder

2 cups diced pared potatoes

1/2 cup sliced carrots

1 teaspoon salt

2 cups water

2 tablespoons chopped onion

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons all-purpose flower

1/4 teaspoon paprika

1/8 teaspoon pepper

2 cups 2% low fat milk

2 slices crisp bacon, crumbled

In medium saucepan, cook potatoes and carrots in salted water until tender. In medium skillet, cook onion in butter for 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour and seasonings; mix well. Gradually stir in milk. Add to potato mixture in saucepan. Stir over low heat until slightly thickened. Top with crumbled bacon. 4 to 5 servings

Thanks for posting

On 12/23/2020 at 8:36 AM, Charles J. White said:

I've been making cauliflower pizza dough, it's fantastic! Gluten free! with beyond meat with no cheese. I actually eat it with no cheese now. 

Interesting.  Thanks.  I would just wonder about the consistency of the flour?   Trying to get a good pizza dough down is tough. I think I know what Walmart is doing with their dough.  I think they are using olive oil in the flour and water mix?  Ill try to find the damn recipe.  For some reason their dough is very good.  I made white regular sauce pizza's Xmas Eve.  The white being a garlic/olive oil instead of the traditional sauce.  Use black olives, peppers, mushrooms.  

• 2 years later...