ZZ Top Gets Busy On First Album Since 200

Jahfin

Hi all,

Besides being such a great band/songwriters/musicians,I always loved their sense of humor.

'Pearl Necklace'

'Mexican Blackbird'

"Just Got Paid"

"Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers"

"Thunderbird"

"Arrested for Driving While Blind"

"I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide"

"Cheap Sunglasses"

"Tube Snake Boogie"

"Sharp Dressed Man"(funniest video ever!)

"TV Dinners"

Have mercy! :D

Frank Beard= the most underated drummer in Rock&Roll,....IMO.

KB

I don't know very well ZZ Top, but I heard some songs and I like it.

So I wanna hear some recommendations.

any?

Like others have said....the early albums, especially before their MTV commercial stuff. It's Good Commerical stuff... but some don't care for anything but the Bluesy ZZ TOP. And I'm one of those people.

TEJAS is an album that's gets overlooked by American Radio, but I suggest you do not leave it out!

This is "Arrested For Driving While Blind":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv6NtJxzk-g

Be careful though: back in the 80s, they released ZZ Top's work on cd for the first time, but they remixed the drums to sound like 80s drums with lots of reverb, and even cut some songs, ie Just Got Paid's slide solo on Rio Grande Mud is considerably shorter, even some stuff was re-recorded. For instance, the final lyric in Mexican Blackbird off of Fandango originally was "the Mexican Black will be there waiting for you" and on the version on the 80s release was "the wings of the Blackbird will spread like an eagle for you." These are the only versions you can get on cd. The good news is that Tres Hombres and Fandango have been remastered and sound like the LPs, while Deguello was never given the treatment, because at the time there was a lawsuit regarding Elmore James songs, and since it contains a cover of Dust My Broom, was held back. Those three sound like the original LP while, ZZ Top's First Album, Rio Grande Mud, Tejas, and El Loco have not been given the treatment. I think there are plans to do this eventually though. Right now, they're preparing the Eliminator remaster because this is the 25th Anniversary of that album coming out. However, the Chrome, Smoke, & BBQ box set, which covers their Warner Brothers career (ZZ Top's First Album through Recycler) is all remastered, so they're the original versions. If you ask me, this was a big blunder on the part of whoever was in charge.

For the record, here's ZZ Top's recorded output:

1970 - ZZ Top's First Album

1972 - Rio Grande Mud

1973 - Tres Hombres

1975 - Fandango!

1976 - Tejas

1977 - The Best Of ZZ Top

1979 - Deguello

1981 - El Loco

1983 - Eliminator

1985 - Afterburner

1990 - Recycler

1992 - Greatest Hits

1994 - Antenna

1994 - One Foot In The Blues (a compilation of their blues stuff)

1996 - Rhythmeen

1999 - XXX

2003 - Mescalero

2003 - Chrome, Smoke & BBQ: The ZZ Top Box (four discs)

2004 - Rancho Texicano - The Very Best Of ZZ Top (2 discs remastered from the box)

Hi all,

Hey Deezer!!! You are so right,when the CD's came out,and 'remastered',I was like

:wtf: ,what is this treble,high end nonsense??????

It ruined the sound for me,so I kept playing my old tapes,....

one more time,.....Frank Beard,who doesn't have one :D ,is one under rated drummer,.....that hombre kicks some kister,... :thumbsup:

KB

I've got Tres Hombres, Fangango and Eliminator and they're all great. I might have to replace my version of Tres Hombres with the remastered one though - I always thought the drums sounded very 80s for an album released in 1973!

Oh yes definitely do it. Replace Fandango too. Both sound so much better. My parents used to play me the original Fandango on vinyl, and I hated it when I heard the cd! So glad they remastered it.

This is awesome news!!

I always loved the band, pre-Eliminator. The older the better. The debut album through Deguello are no-nonsense rock & boogie. I gave up after Afterburner.

Hopefully I'll find that they've got back to their roots. Anyone in the know of more recent stuff that isn't pop-friendly?

I hope they get back on the right track too with this new one! :)

• 2 years later...

From Paste

By Bonnie Stiernberg

ZZ Top Working on New Album with Rick Rubin,

Black Keys

zztop_300x300.jpg

ZZ Top have teamed up with super-producer Rick Rubin for their 15th studio release.

The as-yet-untitled follow-up to 2003’s Mescalero will be out by the end of the year and will also feature a collaboration with The Black Keys.

Guitarist Billy Gibbons told Spinner that the album will have a raw sound.

“We’ve enjoyed a friendship with Rick, which now includes an opportunity to focus our collective energy in a studio setting, which is actually more like bringing the live show into the room,” he said. “The art of capturing the maverick rogue called ‘live in the studio’ is what Rick does so well — better than anyone.”

Gibbons is also excited to work with the Black Keys, referring to them as “a couple of really fresh blues-based rockers that truly say it.”

Should be interesting. I'm hoping they don't go for a retro ZZ sound and stick to their guns. Personally I think XXX and Mescalero are great records, far harder sounding than anything they did previously.

What about Rhythmeen? I've seen both that one and XXX in the budget bin recently but haven't picked up either because I was afraid they would only be more of the same. There for a while it seemed like Billy Gibbons said each new ZZ Top album would be "a return to the grease pit" but most struck me as their usual post El Loco sound. With Rick Rubin at the helm, I'm hoping he can boil them back down to the bare basics before the drum loops and synths set in. By the way, they're in town this weekend with Tom Petty but the order is wrong. Tom Petty should be opening for them, not the other way around. That's said with all due respect to Mr. Petty, of course. Kinda like when Steve Winwood opened for him here a couple of years ago.

What about Rhythmeen? I've seen both that one and XXX in the budget bin recently but haven't picked up either because I was afraid they would only be more of the same. There for a while it seemed like Billy Gibbons said each new ZZ Top album would be "a return to the grease pit" but most struck me as their usual post El Loco sound. With Rick Rubin at the helm, I'm hoping he can boil them back down to the bare basics before the drum loops and synths set in. By the way, they're in town this weekend with Tom Petty but the order is wrong. Tom Petty should be opening for them, not the other way around. That's said with all due respect to Mr. Petty, of course. Kinda like when Steve Winwood opened for him here a couple of years ago.

Rhythmeen is different than XXX and Mescalero, not in a bad way just different and IMO worth picking up. The other two are probably not your cup of tea if the older ZZ sound is your thing. There's some stuff on XXX that almost gets into electronica meets the Melvins type of stuff, a lot more of a hard edge that the mid 80's ZZ. I like it.

Rhythmeen is different than XXX and Mescalero, not in a bad way just different and IMO worth picking up. The other two are probably not your cup of tea if the older ZZ sound is your thing. There's some stuff on XXX that almost gets into electronica meets the Melvins type of stuff, a lot more of a hard edge that the mid 80's ZZ. I like it.

I don't rule out everything post-El Loco as there is some good stuff there. It's just that after a while it all starts to sound the same. Thanks for the info.

• 8 months later...

Rocket Rock: Soyuz Crew Gets a Sendoff Song from ZZ Top

557534main_jsc2011e048469_226.jpg

Image above: Expedition 28 Flight Engineers Mike Fossum (left), Sergei Volkov (center) and Satoshi Furukawa flash a thumbs up sign in front of their Soyuz TMA-02M spacecraft. Photo credit: NASA/Victor Zelentsov

557533main_jsc2011e050702_226.jpg

Image above: Expedition 28 Flight Engineer Mike Fossum signs a wall in the Baikonur cosmonautics museum. Photo credit: NASA/Victor Zelentsov

A celebratory toast, an Orthodox Russian priest blessing, and a salute are a few trademarks of a Soyuz launch. This time cheap sunglasses, long beards and an iconic guitar also made their way to the rocket pad.

NASA Astronaut Michael Fossum, now on his way to the International Space Station aboard the Russian Soyuz TMA-02M along with his fellow astronauts and cosmonauts aboard got a sneak preview of a track that is slated to be in part of ZZ Top’s, as yet untitled, forthcoming album.

Watch mission video while “Flyin’ High” is playing

Listen to “Flyin’ High” played during mission audio (mp3)

The sound of music, yet another time-honored trademark of a Soyuz launch, provided temporary entertainment for the crew moments before blastoff. About an hour before the rocket’s first two stages ignited, the crew nestled in their custom-fitted seat liners rocked out inside the descent module of the vehicle poised at the tip of the rocket.

ZZ Top offered a track entitled “Flyin’ High” from the new album, the band’s first studio recording since 2005, to be played in honor of the crew’s loved ones. An excerpt from the song’s lyrics, “Flyin’ high, I’m gonna touch the sky,” resonates with the Soyuz trajectory and docking at the International Space Station.

Fossum grew up in McAllen, Texas, and holds a degree in mechanical engineering from Texas A&M University. The long-bearded, American rock band also from Texas shares the common tie with Fossum in its roots.

During the course of his previous mission aboard the Space Shuttle Discovery, Fossum played the band’s hit “Got Me Under Pressure,” a reference to the raising of cabin pressures during the course of that 2008 flight.

Astronaut Fossum is joined on the Soyuz heading to the space station by Russian cosmonaut Sergei Volkov and Satoshi Furukawa of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency.

Rhythmeen is their last great album.

Mescalero had too much filler, and was brickwalled too, which makes it unlistenable. But had much better material than XXX which was/is rubbish.

Could have been good if they had trimmed it and mastered it properly.

Live, these guys have been mailing it in with the same core setlist for years now, and they continue to lip synch "Legs". C'mon Billy, with all that great back catalog we really don't NEED "Legs", if you can't sing it, stick in something else !

Saw 'em in the early 90's at Spartan Stadium in San Jose, CA. (w/Steve Miller)

They put on a great show but I have to say that the audience was the worst bunch of assholes I'd ever been around.

Young punk fuckheads. <_<

Archived