Unreleased Songs

MHD

Just listening to the wonderful The Swan Song on YouTube. I have read that this is one of 5 commercially unreleased tracks. Where can I Get hold of TSS (and the others, for that matter)? The sounds a bit dodgy on YouTube. I know TSS morphed into The Firm's Midnight Moonlight. If anyone has any info, feel free to PM me.

There are many more than just 5 unreleased songs. But there are 6 confirmed studio recordings that the public knows about:

Sugar Mama - available on numerous bootlegs

I Wanna Be Her Man - available on numerous bootlegs

Sunshine Woman - BBC recording available on "Ottawa Sunshine" and other bootlegs

Swan Song - available on numerous bootlegs

Lost In Space - has yet to surface

St. Tristan's Sword - has yet to surface

There are many more than just 5 unreleased songs. But there are 6 confirmed studio recordings that the public knows about:

Sugar Mama - available on numerous bootlegs

I Wanna Be Her Man - available on numerous bootlegs

Sunshine Woman - BBC recording available on "Ottawa Sunshine" and other bootlegs

Swan Song - available on numerous bootlegs

Lost In Space - has yet to surface

St. Tristan's Sword - has yet to surface

These are just a few of many. If you're looking for only original songs then there aren't too many more formed songs that have not been released, however there are a lot of recorded covers and semi covers that exist on bootleg. Here's some more information about the tracks listed above:

Sugar Mama: Is a cover of a Sonny Boy Williamson song. Sunshine Woman is also a cover, but I can't remember of who at the moment.

Swan Song: There are various versions of this song, in reality it's just a theme played out to any length of time rather than a real song. Some versions exist that go to over an hour.

Lost In Space and St. Tristan's Sword: It's been questioned whether "Lost In Space" and "St. Tristan's Sword" really exist, I haven't seen any credible evidence that they really do.

Just listening to the wonderful The Swan Song on YouTube. I have read that this is one of 5 commercially unreleased tracks. Where can I Get hold of TSS (and the others, for that matter)? The sounds a bit dodgy on YouTube. I know TSS morphed into The Firm's Midnight Moonlight. If anyone has any info, feel free to PM me.

All you have to do is ask the right people

:whistling:

Sugar Mama: Is a cover of a Sonny Boy Williamson song.

While Williamson did record a song called "Sugar Mama Blues" in 1937, Zep's song bears only a slight resemblance to it.

Sunshine Woman is also a cover, but I can't remember of who at the moment.

It's a mixture of various blues lyrics, including "Let Me Love You" by Willie Dixon.

Swan Song: There are various versions of this song, in reality it's just a theme played out to any length of time rather than a real song. Some versions exist that go to over an hour.

As far as I know, there are 2 bootlegged recordings of "Swan Song": a 60-minute home demo featuring just Jimmy (c. 1973), and a 5-minute studio demo featuring Bonham and Jones (1973/74). I would disagree that it's not a "real song", because the studio demo is almost as fully formed as the renditions of "Bird On A Wing" that Page and Paul Rodgers performed in 1983.

I can't edit my original post, but I forgot to mention:

Fire - from a May 1978 rehearsal in Wales (also known as "Say You Gonna Leave Me")

Jennings Farm Blues - early instrumental prototype of "Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp"

Blues Medley - alternate version of "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper"

Slush - supposedly an original song, although it may just be a working title for one of the tracks on HOTH

In The Morning/Take Me Home - prototype of "In The Light"

In The Light (alternate version) - harpsichord version with alternate lyrics

Plus dozens of half-finished instrumentals.

Blues Medley - alternate version of "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper"

That's actually just a few blues standards played together including "That's Alright Mama" and "Fixin' To Die"

Slush - supposedly an original song, although it may just be a working title for one of the tracks on HOTH

That's just "The Rain Song"

In The Morning/Take Me Home - prototype of "In The Light"

In The Light (alternate version) - harpsichord version with alternate lyrics

Those are all basically the same thing. They were steps to the final version that appears on Physical Graffiti. They contain different lyrics but get closer to the lyrics on the album as it goes along. There are many MANY different takes of these, and they're almost all worth a listen.

Archived