Just a question

Cav

I posted a legit question last night asking about Jimmys playing, and the reasons behind its decline and then rise again. It was answered with postive response, but seems today to have disappeared from the forum. There was nothing unnormal in the topic, and iam wondering if anyone may know why it was removed.

It was my first post and already iam getting removed.

Regards

I posted a legit question last night asking about Jimmys playing, and the reasons behind its decline and then rise again. It was answered with postive response, but seems today to have disappeared from the forum. There was nothing unnormal in the topic, and iam wondering if anyone may know why it was removed.

It was my first post and already iam getting removed.

Regards

:o That's strange.

I don't know why that happend, but I can tell you why. It was because of his severe heroin use.

Well, yes, but I think he went into a real tailspin when Bonzo died.

He hand-picked a band to realise his musical vision, they quickly became the biggest group on the planet and then it was taken from him overnight. It took him quite a few years to recover from that, I think....and could also be why he got into heroin that much more in the 80's.

I've already explained this to great degree in a previous thread. If that particular thread has indeed been removed suffice to say Jimmy Page doesn't appreciate the topic. If it

has not been removed Cav is encouraged to reference it.

I guess I never considered them being that aware of, or caring about what was going on in here. Thanks for the explanation, Steve.

I guess I never considered them being that aware of, or caring about what was going on in here. Thanks for the explanation, Steve.

I've tried to find the details in my post history but after 2,778 posts my history is 95 pages long. Perhaps use the forum search function to see what can be found. I'm not

convinced the thread was removed until exhaustive efforts are made to find it. If the

question is that important the effort will be made. Regardless, I do stand by my

previous posts in this thread.

To be honest guys there was no ill will towards Jimmy Page. In my eyes there is no one that compares to Page, he is a true master. That said, to referance my post i only asked was there other things aside from his vices that aided in what i had seen as a decline, then rise. In the early days till around 75 he was just unreal, then from there to the mid to late 80's it seemed as though he maybe lost just abit. Not a lot just a bit. Also i stated that on a video posted on this site Jimmy states himself that he did not pick up the guitar for 5yrs and when he did he forgot how to do proper cord changes. My question to that was why had he not played and how does someone this great who based his whole life on that insturment forget? To close the final thing i asked was when was the last time Jimmy played White Summer/Black Mountainside live and do you think he is still capable of doing so?

As i said before don't get me wrong or think i doubt his abiltys because he sounded unreal at the O2, and hopefully this is a good sign for more to come

No disrespect, and true regards

Cav

To reference my post i only asked was there other things aside from his vices that aided in what i had seen as a decline, then rise.

Also i stated that on a video posted on this site Jimmy states himself that he did not pick up the guitar for 5yrs and when he did he forgot how to do proper cord changes. My question to that was why had he not played and how does someone this great who based his whole life on that insturment forget?

To close the final thing i asked was when was the last time Jimmy played White Summer/Black Mountainside live and do you think he is still capable of doing so?

Clearly his vices were/may have been a factor. I'm trying to be very diplomatic so this thread doesn't disappear. Enough said on that aspect.

Secondly, IMHO the era in which he played may have resulted in a perceived decline.

I'm speaking specifically and firstly to the "overindulgence" of the times (3 hour shows) and secondly to the inevitible "familiarity breeds contempt" so to speak. Sure playing

six nights at Madison Square Garden, for example, is a huge accomplishment but your

playing the same venue in the same scene night after night. Even the luster of LA,

long-favored haunt, wore off over time.

I was very surprised to hear he made a comment that he hadn't picked up a guitar in

five years because it simply is not true if in fact he meant immediately after the end

of Led Zeppelin.

They rehearsed at Bray Studios the day before John died and Jimmy's next public performance was March 10th 1981 at Hammersmith Odeon when he joined his old friend Jeff Beck during the encore 'Going Down'. Jimmy was mobbed by fans at the

stage door afterward. Do the math but it ain't five years! He has said when he first

sent someone to get his main Les Paul after the end of Led Zeppelin the case was

found to be empty and he took that as an omen that it was all over. However, the

guitar was located soonafter.

His next public performance was May 12th 1982 with Robert Plant in Munich at the Sports Arena. Jimmy and Robert had fancied going somewhere to have a break as Jimmy had been working hard on the 'Death Wish II' soundtrack and Robert had been working on his solo album. They joined Foreigner on 'Lucille'. Again, it ain't five years!

Next public performance was May 24th 1983 at the Civic Hall in Guildford. Jam session with Eric Clapton during the encore on 'Roll Over Beethoven', 'Further On Up The Road', & 'Cocaine'. Once again, not five years!

On September 21-22nd 1983 he performed two nights at the Royal Albert Hall for the Prince's Trust and ARMS, which led to a partnership with Paul Rodgers in The Firm and

active touring throughout the 80s and 90s. No five year gaps between performances

until March 4 2002 (Epsom College) and the 02 Arena concert on Dec 10th 2007, and

clearly he had not forgotten how to play, although extensive rehearsals were required.

To the best of my knowledge, the last time he performed White Summer/Black Mountain

Side was December 22nd 1993 at Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium in Nagoya, Japan. Some

of this music was clearly inspired by Bert Jansch's song 'Black Water Side' which Jimmy is well aware of. I don't doubt for a minute he could perform any of these songs again if he so desired.

Thanks for the response.I have to make a correction to what i said some what.The interview with Page i spoke of is in the Pre/Post Zep forum under the title Jimmy and Roy-1984. The interviewer states to Jimmy that he had not played that much in the last 5yrs, which is a correction to my stating he had not played in 5yrs. That said Jimmy says he at one point did not play for 18 months and when he did he had problems remembering proper cord changes. Again this is by no means an atempt to put down the talent of Jimmy.To SteveAJones you have been kind in your response's to me, and i hope that judgeing by your last post you are not angered by me asking these questions.I may not be as versed as some on the life and times of Mr Page but that is why iam here and asking some questions to expand my knowledge.

Regards

Thanks for the response.I have to make a correction to what i said some what.The interview with Page i spoke of is in the Pre/Post Zep forum under the title Jimmy and Roy-1984. The interviewer states to Jimmy that he had not played that much in the last 5yrs, which is a correction to my stating he had not played in 5yrs. That said Jimmy says he at one point did not play for 18 months and when he did he had problems remembering proper cord changes. Again this is by no means an atempt to put down the talent of Jimmy.To SteveAJones you have been kind in your response's to me, and i hope that judgeing by your last post you are not angered by me asking these questions.I may not be as versed as some on the life and times of Mr Page but that is why iam here and asking some questions to expand my knowledge.

Regards

Well said Cav!

Jimmy disagrees and this is a touchy subject for him which may explain any removals.

Really? That must be why I've read in interviews were he said drugs DID effect him.

Someone would pull a thread for talking about that? I feel strange.

I doubt it, drugs are talked about a lot here, they had an influence on the music.

If you meant yourself, believe me it doesn't take anyone new to cause this stuff to happen.

Thanks, then first iam at the right place and second i can't wait to see how this post unfolds. That is if it or myself are still aloud to be here tomarrow.

Cav

Jimmy says he at one point did not play for 18 months and when he did he had problems remembering proper cord changes.

To SteveAJones you have been kind in your response's to me, and i hope that judging by your last post you are not angered by me asking these questions.I may not be as versed as some on the life and times of Mr Page but that is why I am here and asking some questions to expand my knowledge.

Regards

If he had fogotten about the jam with Jeff in March 1981 he would have thought it was a period of 18 months (Sep 1980 to May 1982). Perhaps he remembered struggling to change chords when they went to Munich after he had devoted so much time to the 'Death Wish II' soundtrack.

I can appreciate you are here asking questions to expand your knowledge. If my replies

have helped to illuminate the path then I have fulfilled my purpose.

Really? That must be why I've read in interviews were he said drugs DID effect him.

You said severe heroin use affected his playing. I said he disagrees and that this is a

touchy, unappreciated subject. If you can find one example from any interview he has

given during which he blames heroin use for directly affecting his playing, post it.

• 1 month later...
i don't know why they would pull your thread, maybe jimmy's heroin dealer is a moderator.

I had posted something once that was pulled before anyone replied.

I guess they found the info I posted a little too personal nothing bad though and I learned of this through an article in the local news paper. :blink:

Archived