If you love Led Zeppelin you’ll like…

Mike2519

Trying to broaden my horizons with things of a Zep flavour; try not to make suggestions too obvious like Bert Jansch or Robert Johnson. Ok here’s my contribution…

Alvin Youngblood Hart; a modern bluesman with a rock edge and just some down right fantastic songs. I’d definitely recommend him to anyone who likes Zeppelin, in particular Motivational Speaker is a very good album with a brilliant version of In My Time of Dying that even tops Led Zeppelin’s for me.

Got a suggestion?

Great idea, I'll throw out some of my by the wayside favorites of recent years

Although they are now defunct, I always loved Big Wreck. Their first record "In Loving Memory" was fantastic. The single "The Oaf" has a great groove http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvuUwy8kcSk

And their second single "That Song" is great but the vids on YouTube are messed up :angry:

I also loved the now defunct Splender. Very pop-ey but great guitar layering.

Here's there slower hit, this video is set to Final Fantasy and is much better than the official video which was a re-mix of sorts

Another cool anime themed fan vid for thier hit "Yeah Whatever" Anime Splender Vid!

An my favorite song by them was "Monotone" but I can't find it anywhere!

And a band I think some very Zeppelin esque groove: The Flaming Lips! Don't let the absurd name turn you off, these guys rock!

"Flight Test"

"Race for the Prize"

Also worht a mention is teh Magazine album by Jump Little Children. I don't think they are very Zeppelin-ey per se, but they put on perhaps teh best live show I've ever seen in hundreds if not thousands of shows. I only liked Magazine but the songs off that record are great. I highly reccomend that album "Magazine" Obligatory MySpace page

Trying to broaden my horizons with things of a Zep flavour; try not to make suggestions too obvious like Bert Jansch or Robert Johnson. Ok here’s my contribution…

Alvin Youngblood Hart; a modern bluesman with a rock edge and just some down right fantastic songs. I’d definitely recommend him to anyone who likes Zeppelin, in particular Motivational Speaker is a very good album with a brilliant version of In My Time of Dying that even tops Led Zeppelin’s for me.

Definately heard some Skynard and Allman Bros in there. The drummer is very influenced by Bonham. Good stuff, will have to check them out

Hot Tuna, during the mid 70's. Their albums "Hoppkorv" and "America's Choice" were mostly electric power blues, with a couple great covers of Chuck Berry, Lightnin' Hopkins, and Muddy Waters songs. "Double Dose" is live electric / acoustic stuff that has a lot of heavy / trippy songs. Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady have been together for close to 50 years now, and still tour. They were the musical core of Jefferson Airplane, but as Hot Tuna do not carry the harmonizing and politics - just tight instrumental interaction with minimum vocals. Check out "Wish you Would", "Serpent of Dreams", "Funky #7", and "Can't be Satisfied", you'll see...

Most people might be familiar with this because of Alllison Krauss, but I recommend the soundtrack to "O Brother Where Art Thou".

Its an Americana roots album featuring Applalachian folk, bluegrass and the Blues. Allison Krauss's talent really shows in this album. Another notable is Chris Thomas King, a modern day bluesman. In the movie he plays an archetype of Robert Johnson or Tommy Johnson and on the soundtrack he plays an acoustic .

this day and age I would recomend: "Red Hot Chili Peppers" and "Umphrey's McGee"

and lets not forget the true songsters that started it all like:Blind Lemon Jefferson/Charley Patton/Furry Lewis and Leadbelly...(Leadbelly being my favorite of them all).

and also: Bukka White/Robert Johnson and his older cousin Gary Johnson..

don't be affraid to purchess some of these old Blues/Folk legends. you will not be sorry! you will hear the history of rock-n-roll while listening.

I'm serious! it's that obvious...

The Tea Party

I don't know quite why, but when I first heard this band I got a really Zeppelinesque feel.

I was really sorry for myself that I didn't discover them any sooner (just like Zep) 'cause they don't exist anymore. I think they're heavily inspired by Zeps more eastern sounding arrangements, but also Zep in general (who isn't) and you can definitely hear (and see) it in their music.

He even plays the guitar with a bow in Save Me !

A few examples:

Sister Awake

The Bazaar

Walking Wounded

Save Me

Heaven Coming Down

One of my favorite albums.

The first time I heard it, it made me think of LZ, not sure why, maybe the groove and drums.

No longer together, but a truly excellent release from 2000 or so.

Isle of Q

islebig.jpg

Found a youtube for the first track, Little Scene

Other great tracks include The Clone, Here and Gone, really the whole cd rocks a heavy groove.

Some great music here, really like the stuff by The Answer.

Evermore, I really liked the music from that film too; I was particularly impressed with Tim Blake Nelson's performance on In the Jailhouse Now. I thought Clooney just looked funny miming to Man of Constant Sorrow.

No offense meant, but this thread belongs in the Other Bands thread, not Led Zeppelin Main.

Yeah I know, sorry about that, I only noticed that board after this had a few replies.

• 2 weeks later...
The Tea Party

I don't know quite why, but when I first heard this band I got a really Zeppelinesque feel.

I was really sorry for myself that I didn't discover them any sooner (just like Zep) 'cause they don't exist anymore. I think they're heavily inspired by Zeps more eastern sounding arrangements, but also Zep in general (who isn't) and you can definitely hear (and see) it in their music.

He even plays the guitar with a bow in Save Me !

A few examples:

Sister Awake

The Bazaar

Walking Wounded

Save Me

Heaven Coming Down

The Tea Party Stink.

Regards,

Grell

They introduced me to Kaliedescope's "Beacon from Mars", Pretty Things "Silk Torpedo." I already knew and loved the orginal "Bring it On Home." Willie Dixon's version is on the Mulholland Drive soundtrack.

This is a band out of British Columbia I think, called King Karma. Balls to the wall blues rock. Check out the drummer, Rick Fedyk. Bonzo influenced this guy big time....

I loved their sound. The production was great. Big and raw. The songs just okay. Was Page involved with production do you know?

He produced the first one under a nom de plume...

The production is definitely Pagey. Bonzo-sounding drums, Pagey-style riffs, Planty-style vocals w/ Michael des Barres...

Great album - the CD is available on Wounded Bird records...

Archived