tsrts oldsters

boogie

well i was already a zep fan, but the beatles were my fav.. small town, usa, got a job at a movie theater. what a decade for movies,.... blazing saddles, jaws, star wars, the song remains the same.we kept most movies for one week. when tsrts came we got it for 2 weeks, we played it twice a night. wehad to turn away a lot of people. i saw tsrts 2 times a night for 2 weeks. wow!!!! as an husher i had to tell everyone to stop smoking pot in the theater. but not before i took a hit first.!!! hey... put that out!!! don't you see the cop??? we acually had town cops walk in to see what was the big deal.

the owner, i figured out later. was gay, he thought plant was "something special". anyway.. the line went around the block, first time ever for any movie. this all made me relize zep was the best........

still to this day i can't get over any led zeppelin not being the best.....

Oh man, all rock & roll movies were a big deal back then. I vividly remember when TSRS came out. We waited for hours in a long line. Everyone cheering at the same spots, like a concert. Sneaking my cassette recorder in to get Since I Been Lovin You. I drove for an hour just to catch Dazed from Supershow that was part of an otherwise crappy music flick once also. Good times...The Hendrix movies were great fun too

Me and my best friend frantically rode our bicycles (the banana seat ones, with the homemade chopper front forks) 5 towns from where we lived to see that. Smuggled in bottles of Boones farm wine, bag of weed, and munchies under our jackets. Hadn't learned to sort the seeds out of the weed though, and got yelled at for the stink and popping noises it made. Someone said they would clean it for us, and that's the last we saw of that bag. But the show was everything we had hoped for, since we had never seen a real concert yet. I do remember being scared during the JPJ fantasy part, when he had the freaky mask on...

I went to see it on its release day here in the UK. I went in the early afternoon and stayed to watch it the 3 times it was shown. B)

I reckon I saw it more than 30 times on the big screen over the following years. Not seen it on the big screen for such along time except for seeing the TRST stuff shown as part of the official launch in the cinema for DVD.

People need to see it up there, far better than just on a big tv despite HD blureay etc. See it in all its intended glory. :rolleyes:

My friend and I went to the NYC premiere of TSRTS. We were at the '73 concerts so we spent almost the entire time looking for ourselves in the film and, in doing so, missed the "big picture". We went to see it with two guys who were also at the'73 concerts and all of us were under the influence of one substance or another that night.

The next and last time I saw TSRTS was in LA - this time with my husband - probably very late 70's or very early '80s and, both of us were, once again, under the influence of one substance or another.

Ahhh.. seeing The Song Remains The Same at the the cinema! Back in the late 70's it was given a midnight showing in the local flea pit. Myself and friend decided to go after an evening of heavy drinking in the local pub. Duly arriving after the landlord had chucked us out, we sat in an otherwise completely empty cinema to await the joys of Zeppelin.

About ten minutes in the loudest sound you could hear was the snoring. :D

Ahhh.. seeing The Song Remains The Same at the the cinema! Back in the late 70's it was given a midnight showing in the local flea pit. Myself and friend decided to go after an evening of heavy drinking in the local pub. Duly arriving after the landlord had chucked us out, we sat in an otherwise completely empty cinema to await the joys of Zeppelin.

About ten minutes in the loudest sound you could hear was the snoring. :D

It was screened privately for Ahmet in New York, who also fell asleep. When awoken,

he asked "Who's the guy on the horse?". OMG. Classic.

They showed it here in this country a bit late, I remember it was in 1977, and I was 12 at the time. I had loved the band for about a couple of years, but still hadn't heard but a portion of what they had released then. Anyway, the cinema (which was one of the biggest here then) put up a new, powerful sound system, and I was seated pretty close to the big screen, and close to the center too. Well, a strange mafioso type scene came on, with a lot of shooting and nonsense going on, and I had no idea who Richard Cole or Peter Grant were. :unsure:

Then it started. Thing is, they didn't show it for very long, and I had no money so I only saw it once, but the experience really stayed with me. I remembered scenes from the movie for years; I didn't see it again until around the mid-1980's, on rented video cassette. Jimmy with the Hurdy-Gurdy and the sunglasses, hah! Another was the drum solo: At some point far into the solo I happened to notice that I wasn't sitting back in a relaxed way watching, but rather was leaning forward - and so were others around me. :lol:

The whole thing just overwhelmed me completely, and I walked out of the cinema in a sort of trance-like state, and they've been my single favorite band ever since. The experience also made me want to play myself, and I bought my first electric guitar maybe a year later - had to sell all my albums to buy it, and only kept one: Led Zeppelin's Presence.

I finally found TSRTS on VHS in 1989-90 I think, and still have that copy. B)

I remember also having to travel a bit to see it. Our town didn't end up getting it until it came to the DRIVE IN! It was all about the drive in. Par------tay time for sure! One big party. Blankets on the ground and those terrible drive in speakers cranked up as loud as they would go.

Wouldn't it be great to see it on the Big screen again! Especially if we could get away with what we did then!

We saw it frequently in HS (late 70s/early 80s), always at midnight, at one of several theatres. It was always a lot of fun; great memories of the movie and the people I saw it with :) I've said here before that SIBLY in the movie was a mind blower for me. I remember going a lot senior year in particular with my then-BF, after a few beers or whatever, and totally soaking that song in. I never saw it at the theater with my husband, but we still have his old VHS copy that we watch from time to time. I would love to see it on the big screen again though B)

it was a definately a thing of the late 70s and early 80s to show cool films at midnight, i remember woodstock and the last waltz also used to get regular showings along with TSRTS

i saw the film for my 12th birthday, i went on my own as no one else my age was interested and got my mates big brother to drive me there as he was cool. on the way there he was telling me what to look out for as he'd already seen it. i still remember the smell of patchouli oil and a bit of dope even on a saturday afternoon and people clapping after moby dick

i saw many of the late night showings and had a great time at them even though i often went to them on my own as well. always a great atmosphere as most folk had come from closing at the pubs and there were so few opportunities to see such films pre home videos being common. at one there was a near riot as the volume wasnt loud enough. the manger came in to tell us the system was shagged and that we'd have to move into the other cinema next door causing a stampede through the exits and down the stairs and a lot of argy bargy. after we settled in and the maid had been round with ice creams and stuff and the lights were dimming down, a guy walked up the aisle offering joints for sale.

walking home six miles afterwards seemed like nothing at the time

the showings were held at independant small cinemas, most if not all of which are gone now. i cant see the same thing being allowed in the new multiplexs somehow

I got to go to the showing of TSRTS in theatres back in November. Hardly anyone showed up but I had a great time. It was so loud I thought my head may explode but I loved it.

My dad says that he used to go and everyone knew everyone else there. He says they were midnight showings on Friday then on Saturday it was The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

My twin and I hitched from washington state to NY for the SRTS 73 concert. We partied alot, me alittle more than most. My sister made it to the concert while stupid me was passed out in the motel. She's on the video when Bonzo is counting on the song Ocean in the beginning. I tell everyone it's me because you can't tell us apart. Boy I'd give anything to turn back the clocks. Damn it still burns my butt!!

My twin and I hitched from washington state to NY for the SRTS 73 concert. We partied alot, me alittle more than most. My sister made it to the concert while stupid me was passed out in the motel. She's on the video when Bonzo is counting on the song Ocean in the beginning. I tell everyone it's me because you can't tell us apart. Boy I'd give anything to turn back the clocks. Damn it still burns my butt!!

bummer. a serious bummer

Wonderful stories... well, the god's honest truth is, I saw it at a midnight showing in the '70s but hardly remember it because, well, I was too stoned. :)

I'd love to see it on a big screen again. Hopefully at a place where they would overlook the smell of burning substances. (But I'd be very judicious in my usage, this time.)

I wasn't around for the original release. At about the time I was just starting my Zeppelin journey, fate would have it that my local small town cinema would be showing a rock-film festival. Seeing TSRTS that night changed my life. There has never been a festival before or since at that cinema, and without it I probably would never have gotten into Zeppelin as far as I have.

Archived