Yes - 'Close To The Edge and Back' 2008 Tour

hot dog

Close to the Edge and Back Tour

(Oliver Wakeman playing keyboards on this tour)

North America 2008

July 12: Quebec City, QUE - Quebec City Festival

July 13: Toronto, ONT - Molson Amphitheatre

July 15: Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena

July 16: Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium & Star Pavilion

July 18: Chicago, IL - Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island

July 19: Detroit, MI - Freedom Hill

July 22: Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun Arena

July 23: Boston, MA - Bank of America Pavilion

July 25: Atlantic City, NJ - Borgata Event Center

July 26: Wantagh, NY - Nikon at Jones Beach Theater

July 28: Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center

July 29: Baltimore, MD - Pier 6 Pavilion

July 31: Tampa, FL - Ford Amphitheatre

Aug 1: Miami, FL - Hard Rock Live Arena

Aug 2: Orlando, FL - Hard Rock Live

Aug 4: Atlanta, GA - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park

Aug 6: Kansas City, MO - Starlight Theatre

Aug 8: Houston, TX - Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion

Aug 9: Dallas, TX - Superpages.com Center

Aug 11: Denver, CO - Red Rocks Amphitheatre

Aug 14: Vancouver, BC - General Motors Place

Aug 15: Seattle, WA - WaMu Theater at Qwest Field Events Center

Aug 19: Mountain View, CA - Shoreline Amphitheatre at Mountain View

Aug 20: Anaheim, CA - Honda Center

Aug 22: Universal City, CA - Gibson Amphitheatre

I'll look forward to the UK dates :)

http://www.yesworld.com/

Jon Anderson was just on the radio, maybe 2 weeks ago, promoting some tour he was doing with a different group. There was something very odd in the way he was trying to describe the type of musicians they were, and what the their focus was. Is this guy always wacky and aloof - I'm not familiar with his personality?

Close to the Edge and Back Tour

(Oliver Wakeman playing keyboards on this tour)

North America 2008

It's Anderson, Howe, Squire, White, Wakeman Jnr.

Thanks for the news! I know my husband will want to see this - he's been a huge Yes fan since the early 70's and has seen many of their concerts.

Jon Anderson was just on the radio, maybe 2 weeks ago, promoting some tour he was doing with a different group. There was something very odd in the way he was trying to describe the type of musicians they were, and what the their focus was. Is this guy always wacky and aloof - I'm not familiar with his personality?

I don't know how he is now but my husband and I met Jon Anderson during the early 80's and he was great - as nice as could be. Again, I can't speak for the way he is now because I know people go through changes but, back then, he was very nice so that's how we remember him.

I am waiting with anticipation for the announcement of the UK shows. Yes are one of my favourites, and a band which I have yet to see live. Please play Sheffield, Jon :thumbsup:

For some reason I never saw them until the last tour in 2004. They are still a great live band and I cannot wait to see them again.

Just reading this thread is getting me hungry for Yes live. I feel an urgent need for Fragile to be put on the CD player!

Now, over to the What are you listening to at this moment?.... thread :D

"Sadness falling like burnt skin..." Reminds me of the time I saw Yes...Sept. 25th, 1980 "In the Round" at the St.Louis Arena......something else was on my mind that night, in fact, it was a fucking bummer. I've always appreciated Steve Howe, though. "Close to the Edge" is actually my fave Yes album...

Great news! Thanks for posting. Saw them at Wolftrap in Northern Virginia a couple of years ago, but they didn't headline, or were doing other music? Something odd.

Have to ask hubby, who has the encyclopedic memory. I only go forward, not backward.

Curious - Rick Wakeman is still officially a member, so I'm wondering if he simply can't be arsed trudging around the States, and has opted to play a few selected European dayes instead?

He's doing a theatre tour here in the UK with his Grumpy Old Picture Show which continues into the summer, so I guess this is preventing him from joining the tour.

From RW's website:

Rick and YES

"Throughout much of last year, e-mails and phone calls were held between Jon, Chris, Steve, Alan and myself as to where we all felt the future for YES lay, and of course, there were conflicting views in many areas! (Nothing new there, but very healthy of course). My major concern was that of over-touring, which I felt YES had done since 2002 with far too many shows, especially in America which for me diminished the "specialness" of the band. I also was concerned for the health of the band, both as a whole and as individuals. It's a matter of public record for instance, that Jon in particular really suffered during the last weeks of the previous YES tour which was extremely worrying for us all.

Over the years, I have had my fair share of "narrow escapes" when it comes to health and I felt that I simply could not do months and months of touring each year anymore and I expressed this to the other guys from the outset. I'm absolutely fine at the moment, but want to stay that way, so I suggested to the new management that we perhaps limited the shows we would do and make each show something special, but this was rejected with the management feeling that lengthy touring was the answer for the band.

It was therefore with an extremely heavy heart that I had to say to the guys that I could not be part of a massive long term touring schedule as I did not feel it right for the band musically and also for the band member's health. We are a democratic band and I accept that I was a sole voice in this thinking.

Chris and I met up a few times and spoke about who I felt would be able to do a good job in the keyboard department and I put forward just two names, my two eldest sons Adam and Oliver. Adam, to be truthful, was not really a "contender" because he is fully committed to Ozzy and is touring constantly. Oliver has worked with Steve of course on various recordings and so there was already a rapport there. I was therefore very happy when Oliver told me that Steve had called him.

I am sad of course not to be walking on stage with the guys on the upcoming tour, but like each member of YES, I have developed a deep inner spiritual feeling that takes over your whole life, and sadly witnessing too many friends around my age, (both musicians and people connected with the business), either departing this world or having serious illness, has played an enormous part in the very difficult decision I had to make.

I truly hope that this is not the end of the Classic Line-Up and that something very special may happen in the not too distant future. In the meantime, I wish the guys, good health, great music and much happiness."

Rick Wakeman - 14th March 2008

• 1 month later...

Yes Reveals 'Very Different' New Material

yes_01l.gif

Yes

Gary Graff, Detroit

Even as it prepares for its 40th anniversary tour this summer, Yes is working on new material, frontman Jon Anderson has revealed to Billboard.com.

Anderson says the progressive rock heroes are preparing four new songs of the "opus" variety -- lengthy, multi-movement compositions along the lines of "Close to the Edge" and "Tales From Topographic Oceans."

To read the remainder of the article click here.

Archived