Yes - 'Close To The Edge and Back' 2008 Tour

hot dog

YES in the round is one of the best shows you could have ever seen. I first saw YES in 79' and saw them a total of 7 times. I would love to see YES again.

Although I respect you and your opinion, HeavK, I must disagree. I saw them during their "In the Round" tour and was sickened. Not by their performance, but by the fact that it was Sept. 25th, 1980.

:(:(:(

My husband has been a huge Yes fan for decades. After reading this article, he is really looking forward to the '08 tour.

We were talking about Yes when we were outside tonight and he told me a story (don't know if it is true) about Chris Squire renting a home in the Los Angeles area in the 70's - the home was decorated with modern paintings and Chris hated the artwork and couldn't stand to look at it so he took some sort of power tool - my husband thought it was a drill - and defaced the paintings - the story reminded me of the Zep guys defacing the modern art in the Danish gallery.

From a few years ago. A bit corny, but sincere.

I can't wait to see them this summer. Got lawn seats; hope it don't rain.

Yes + NJPAC = awesome!

My wife and I for our second anniversary, treated ourselves to a wonderfully classy evening of Yes. I’m not a critical reviewer of the show from a technical standpoint (there were a few glitches to fulfill those purists among us), but as I’ve read in so many reviews before, Yes touches a part of us spiritually. Looking around at the audience, and how we’ve all grown old, yet still have the privilege of Yes being on stage, Live in 2002, I can’t help but feel blessed. Apart from the some of the synth sounds, to me, none of the compositions seems locked in time. The dynamics, the tension, the interplay between the band members, the relaxed fun that was going on….there’s just nothing like it in all of music. I am aware and listen to a bit of the current music mainstream, with bands that reach for what Yes was. Tool seems to be the only mainstream band, in the sense that they employ long compositions, a tremendous rhythm section, similar dynamics for emotional effect etc. that I could compare in experience. But Yes, with their gentle, sincere spirit, no matter how sappy by todays cynical standards, is a far more unique, uplifting, complex, fulfilling experience. I feel for kids now, not having the exposure to such wise and positive music.

I had the opportunity to turn, a friend/musician who is only 26, on to a band he never would have had the chance to see, by todays’ connections. He is a very talented singer songwriter, who although very accomplished compositionally hasn’t been exposed to such as Yes. He had never heard their music and was blown away. From what he heard, that I sent him, Starship Trooper stood out as a favorite. How great was it that they played that? And it was such a loose, fun version. It was also wonderful to be surrounded by such a knowledgeable community of fans, who show rapt enthusiasm at every nuance.

Listen, nothing beats the energy of witnessing the band back in its stadium-filling heyday. That excitement of hearing new material for the first time, head full of whatever supposed mind-expanding drug was available, massive avalanches of crescendo after crescendo. But today, with a much-settled soul, a clear head and comfortable seats, I feel gifted by their music.

I saw a couple guys that I went to high school with who told me that they had seen the band successively for 28 years. It was great to see them. I had forgotten what big fans they were. My wife Betty and I had the pleasure of sitting next to an English couple, John and Joyce, who shared stories of shows “over the pond” back in the day. During Awaken I was totally lost in the moment, tears streaming down my face, convinced that as I die and go to Heaven, this would be the soundtrack that I would hear. I felt numb and I’m sober 8 years. Awaken seems to me, and John concurred, to be a sort of an undiscovered gem, which I never realized until maybe five years ago, what an unbelievably powerful composition it is. I don’t remember it being the centerpiece of their set back in the late 70’s or 80’s. (I don’t actually remember much of anything from those days) I guess that’s why, at 47, to be able to see Yes in all their glory, fat, bald, gray warts and all, yet as brilliant musically as they ever were is something that I could have never imagined. God’s grace is abundant.

Thank you John, Joyce and John for great commraderie, and Jon, Steve, Rik, Chris and Alan for sharing your soul.

I'm listening to a Yes show from the Rainbow in London Dec. 15, 1972 that kicks ass. I'd rather listen to this repeatedly than see Yes now. Last time I saw them they were lackluster.

This show is not too long after Alan White had joined the band and it's amazing how quickly he mastered the tough drum parts of Bruford.

I didn't take these, but they're from the 2nd time I saw Yes, in 1975.

2_1075_2.jpg

2_1075_1.jpg

7_1075_1.jpg

This was My first Yes Show Jackson 77 My second was posted on page one of this thread along with the last one.Have some great pics taken by my friend but He has asked me never to post them so the only way you see them is to drive to louisiana or go to his house in California sorry from 77 and 78

yesjackson77.jpg

Here is one from 78 in the round la ticket tearer screwed the pooch on this one.

yes78lacalround.jpg

I didn't take these, but they're from the 2nd time I saw Yes, in 1975.

2_1075_2.jpg

2_1075_1.jpg

7_1075_1.jpg

This was My first Yes Show Jackson 77 My second was posted on page one of this thread along with the last one.Have some great pics taken by my friend but He has asked me never to post them so the only way you see them is to drive to louisiana or go to his house in California sorry from 77 and 78

yesjackson77.jpg

Here is one from 78 in the round la ticket tearer screwed the pooch on this one.

yes78lacalround.jpg

Where did you see them?

This was My first Yes Show Jackson 77 My second was posted on page one of this thread along with the last one.Where did you see them?

I've seen them in Texas and Tennessee. 1974, 75, 78, 80 and 2000. The best performance for me was the 2nd time in July of '75.

I've seen them in Texas and Tennessee. 1974, 75, 78, 80 and 2000. The best performance for me was the 2nd time in July of '75.

I agree they are a really good Band like Zep they like to extend thier songs . My favorite show was The LA CAL show at the Forum .The in the round went over great still to this day the Best Bass solo I have ever seen.

I REALLY hope they come to the UK!

Cant wait, shame about Rick not being part of it, saw him live 2 years ago in my hometown of Rochester and he was stunning, was about a five minute walk from my house! Closest rock concert I've ever been to.

I saw Steve Howe in Dartford with a yes tribute band called 'Fragile', was a really intimate gig, the venue only has a 300 seat capacity - I left that show in a daze was simply sublime. I cant wait to see the real thing.

I wonder where they'll play in the UK, every big band on the planet seems to be playing the O2 at the moment and its not really that great a venue, at least thats what I thought when I was there last.

• 5 weeks later...

With Anderson Ailing, Yes Cancels Summer Tour

Mitchell Peters, L.A.

English progressive rock act Yes has canceled its upcoming 26-city North American amphitheater and area tour, citing its founding vocalist Jon Anderson's recent health problems.

"In the wake of my recent respiratory attack, doctors have advised me to spend the coming months resting and recovering," Anderson said in a statement. "I'd like everyone know how deeply disappointed I am by this turn of events."

To read the remainder of the article click here.

Mitchell Peters, L.A.

English progressive rock act Yes has canceled its upcoming 26-city North American amphitheater and area tour, citing its founding vocalist Jon Anderson's recent health problems.

"In the wake of my recent respiratory attack, doctors have advised me to spend the coming months resting and recovering," Anderson said in a statement. "I'd like everyone know how deeply disappointed I am by this turn of events."

That is disappointing news but health comes first. May Jon return to full fitness soon.

Mitchell Peters, L.A.

Thanks so much for letting us know, Jahfin. I'm a member of the Yesfans site and bought my tickets (for Seattle show) through Ticketmaster yet this is the first I've heard of this news. I'm going to miss hearing Jon's angelic voice this summer. :( Hope he makes a full recovery.

Sad to learn of Jon's health issues. We were really looking forward to attending the Baltimore gig. Crossed fingers for his full recovery. Perhaps they'll reschedule in a couple of months?

Hope so.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Drama in the Yes camp continues......the following message Jon left on his website and MySpace brought a little tear to my eye. :( I'm sure we can all relate to that kind of disappointment, the part of not hearing from friends and loved ones when we are down.

It also reminds me of another band who would not be the same without their lead singer.

"Not Yes"

September 18, 2008

Disappointed, and very Disrespected

Disappointed that, with the exception of one phone call from Alan, none of the guys have been in touch since my illness, just to find out how I am doing, and how we will foresee the future for YES. And disappointed that they were not willing to wait till 2009 when I'm fully recovered.

And I feel very disrespected, having spent most of this year creating songs and constant ideas for the band, spending time with Roger Dean creating a stage design, also working with VH1 and Sirius and XM Radio to help promote the welfare of YES.

Getting sick was not "on my radar", and I thank my own angel Janeee and my family for helping me through this difficult time, and the many well wishers, friends and fans alike, for understanding that ''things happen''.

Of course I wish the guys all the best in their 'solo' work, but I just wish this could have been done in a more gentlemanly fashion. After all YES is a precious musical band.

This is not YES on tour...

I send best wishes to one and all,

Jon Anderson

September 2008

Drama in the Yes camp continues......the following message Jon left on his website and MySpace brought a little tear to my eye. :( I'm sure we can all relate to that kind of disappointment, the part of not hearing from friends and loved ones when we are down.

It also reminds me of another band who would not be the same without their lead singer.

"Not Yes"

September 18, 2008

Disappointed that, with the exception of one phone call from Alan, none of the guys have been in touch since my illness, just to find out how I am doing, and how we will foresee the future for YES. And disappointed that they were not willing to wait till 2009 when I'm fully recovered.

And I feel very disrespected, having spent most of this year creating songs and constant ideas for the band, spending time with Roger Dean creating a stage design, also working with VH1 and Sirius and XM Radio to help promote the welfare of YES.

Getting sick was not "on my radar", and I thank my own angel Janeee and my family for helping me through this difficult time, and the many well wishers, friends and fans alike, for understanding that ''things happen''.

Of course I wish the guys all the best in their 'solo' work, but I just wish this could have been done in a more gentlemanly fashion. After all YES is a precious musical band.

Jon Anderson

September 2008

Gee thats kinda sad 1) for him and what he said and 2) because he has gone public !!

The tour should be called "More Drama" - it never ends with these guys. I'm very sorry to hear that the other guys have not even called Jon to see how he's doing.

There are some clips on YouTube of the new singer - it's unreal how much he sounds like Jon.

"Not Yes"

September 18, 2008

Jon Anderson

September 2008

Oh, AWABW, that is sad! Aw, poor Jon. I hope he recovers (both physically and from that awful sense of disappointment) soon. I wasn't a huge Yes fan until my husband turned me on to their music. We actually met Jon when he was doing his solo thing in the early 80's and he was as nice as could be. He was playing in a small club and my husband couldn't believe how he took the time to talk to us, took requests, had a drink with the fans, etc. - and was generally charming and pleasant - he thanked us! That night has always stayed with me. I tend to be that way with people (rockers and otherwise) - a good experience will stay with me forever as will a negative one.

And, amen to what you said here:

"It also reminds me of another band who would not be the same without their lead singer."

Archived