Alice in chains

Diana-loura

• 5 weeks later...

I love Alice in Chains. They've helped me through some hard times. Their sound is very epic and haunting, and I love the harmony and vibrato of Layne's voice. It's hard to pick a favorite song of theirs.. but 'Rotten Apple' is really amazing in my opinion.

And not to wander too far from the topic of Alice.. but have you guys ever heard Layne's side project with his band Mad Season? The album they put out was called 'Above'. I think it's great.

Edited by Sugarplum

One of my favorites as well. Fell in love with them when dirt came out in the nineties. Listened to it over and over and over. then of course i heard them less after unledded came out. Plant and Page unledded that is.

Lyically my favorite is Junkhead. It's just so in your frigging face..this is what i do and i don't give a shit if you don't like it! On top of it he's even got the balls to say that if you'd try it you'd be doing like me. Now that's rock and roll lyrics!

They music is beyond. Just hardcore rock.

Got very lucky and was able to see them at mohegan sun in 2007. They were absolutely amazing. Blew me away like I kind of figured they would. Played many songs from dirt and other albums, but no junkhead, but i'm not surprised.

After that was velvet revolver. After seeing them that first night i'm a changed rocker. It blew me away so much seeing two just amazing bands back to back that I went again two nights later in Saratoga, NY.

AIC played several extra songs in the beginning. I 'll never forget I was so psyched to hear dam that river that I literally jumped as high as i frigging could and came down and smashed right into the guy behind me. It was only the first song!!!!! I was still so pumped from the outstanding show two nights earlier.

I hope they come back!

There are some recent clips on you tube of the Alice In Chains with their new singer...I'm not saying the dude is bad but he's definitely no Layne Staley. I understand and respect Cantrell and the rest of the guys for wanting to move on.  Layne's passing was very sad, but that doesn't mean the remaining members of AIC have to sit around and not create new material. I wish they didn't call it Alice in Chains though...that doesn't seem right.

Edited by the queen without a king

^^

That's what I think too. They're still great musicians, no doubt, but without Layne, I don't think the band gives off the same feel as it did before. I wish they would just go on with a different name, to prevent any hard feelings among fans.

Edited by Sugarplum

LAYNE STALEY Tribute And Benefit Concert To Feature TANTRIC, HURT

The seventh annual Layne Staley Tribute And Benefit Concert — honoring musician Layne Staley's life and music — will be held on Saturday, August 23, 2008, 8:30PM at Showbox Sodo located at 1700 1st Avenue S., Seattle, WA, one block south of Safeco Field.

This year's event will feature the band HURT, who spent time on the road as direct support for ALICE IN CHAINS on their 2006 tour. The show also features another favorite among ALICE IN CHAINS fans, TANTRIC, whose single "Down and Out" is currently #20 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart and #19 on Radio & Records' Active Rock chart.

TANTRIC and HURT not only share a strong tie to Layne's fans, they also both feature the violin during their live performances.

As is tradition, the tribute concert will also showcase local Seattle artists, including up-and-coming band FUTURE FOSSILS; and returning to the stage for a second year is band on the rise RIVERBEND. The event will also feature many special touches that uniquely honor Layne and his fans, including a special performance by Nancy McCallum, Layne's mother.

All proceeds benefit Layne Staley Fund, a non-profit 501©(3) organization created in 2002. Seeking to turn the tragedy of Layne's death into hope for those that suffer, Layne Staley Fund uses donated funds and proceeds from the sale of merchandise and tribute revenues to support local chemical dependency facilities, drug education, and outreach programs. Layne Staley Fund was co-founded by Nancy McCallum and Jamie Richards of Emerald City Musician's Network.

For more information, visit www.laynestaleyfund.com.

Advance tickets are $22.00 plus applicable service charges at all Ticketmaster outlets and online at www.ticketmaster.com or charge by phone: (206) 628-0888. Tickets will be available for purchase day of show for $25.00 at the door (unless sold out in advance).

what alice in chains song do u like most?

:)

I have a funny feeling I never replied to your question....how unpolite of me :(. Oh well, better late than never :). My fave AIC song is "Rooster" and "Dirt" album of course :)

ALICENCHAINS.jpg

ALICENCHAINSDirtalbum.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alice In Chains!!!

Being a teenager in the 90's would have been a whole hell of alot gayer without this band. Thank you, Alice In Chains. Thank you.

Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons... the only good things from the 90's IMO.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found this on Baldy's blog a while ago, thought I'd share it.... Baldy has been with Alice since they played the bars and warehouses around Seattle. He documents their career in photos and video religiously. he's the 5th Beatle you might say. He's made it easy for Jerry and the boys to concentrate on the music all these years.

From Baldy's blog, written the night we lost Mikey......

Alice In Chains' main page

I've spent a lot of time tonight watching old home video from the studio as Mike, Layne, Jerry & Sean recorded Facelift. It's been so long, but in some ways it feels like yesterday. Everyone was so young, so excited, and as silly as it may sound; things were so much fun at that point in time. And that's a word I keep coming back to as I try and wrap my head around the loss of another friend. Mike Starr was fun. He was a carefree spirit; quick with a joke or a laugh or a silly face, and always fun to spend time with. He loved being a musician, and he loved being in a band. And he was great at it. The guy was a rock star before he stepped on his first stage.

I think Mike lost a part of himself once he was out of the band, and he spent the remainder of his life trying to fill the void. I hadn't seen Mike in several years though, so I can't speak to his battles and struggles. What I can speak to is the guy I remember from what seems like so long ago. Mike was immensely talented, and took enormous pride in the band he helped create. He was a monstrous bass player, and a monstrously good time to hang out with. He was a good friend, and tonight especially I'm trying to focus on the great times we had together.

As I watch these tapes from 22 years ago I keep coming back to a line Jerry wrote in Your Decision; "No one plans to take the path that brings you lower". Mike and Layne were both good people who made bad choices, and the weight of those choices was something they could never get out from under. But neither of them intended for things to turn out the way they did, and neither of them deserved it.

Mike Starr was a founding member of Alice In Chains, and he was a participant in Celebrity Rehab, and for good or bad, those things are what make up part of the headline tonight. I'm choosing to focus on the Mike Starr that was my friend though. A good person who deeply loved his family, friends, and fans, and who was deeply loved in return.

He will be missed...

-Baldy

Edited by SharPei_Ibuprofin

It's amazing how their songs seemed to point to tragedy and yet they are so peaceful and soothing at the same time. Who else did that? Behind Led Zeppelin, Alice In Chains is my 2nd favorite group of all time. Then of coarse R.E.M. All three represented the final decades of the 20th century imo__the 70's belonged to Led Zeppelin, the 80's saw R.e.M. challenging the rules of rock stardom and the 90's may be attributed to Kurt and his train wreck but there was a sound that over shadows that and time will reveal the truth. Musically, Alice In Chains was much more than a novelty............

and always will be....

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...