australian fans

slave to zep

If anyone in Sydney wants to meet up and chat about Led Zeppelin, I'll be at the Glebe Street Fair tomorrow. Light breakfast at Badde Manors Café in Glebe Point Road 9.30am.

Meg

Too bad I'm in Canada otherwise I'd join ya Meg :D

you had me excited there for a sec! perth is a bit far for me, id love to see that band tho.

Hi slave to zep,

Sorry for confusing you. Yes, it is a bit far for you!

I am going tomorrow night. There are some tickets available at the door so I will have to

get there early. Should be a good night. I'm looking forward to it.

Has anyone seen The Zep Boys?

They are playing here this weekend and I was thinking of going along if I can get tickets.

Edited to add 'here' is Perth.

:o:o ...too bad that I will be in sunny Perth only from Dec 18th to Jan 4th!

:o:o ...too bad that I will be in sunny Perth only from Dec 18th to Jan 4th!

The Zep Boys were really good and looked like they enjoyed themselves as much as the crowd did. I am so glad I went along.

Enjoy Christmas in Perth, AMAZONIC. I hope it's not as hot as last year.

If I remember correctly, it was about 45 degrees on Christmas Day and 47 degrees on Boxing Day.

Enjoy Christmas in Perth, AMAZONIC. I hope it's not as hot as last year.

If I remember correctly, it was about 45 degrees on Christmas Day and 47 degrees on Boxing Day.

Oh, thank you, Fortuna! Oh yeah, I remember how torridly hot it was last year!! :veryhot:

I was there last year too!! My Christmas are always spent in Perth! Basically it's my second home :) Have family there...precisely in the northern suburbs, Beldon, a couple of minutes from Mullaloo Beach...

You are right: it was 47 degrees on Boxing Day, that was crazy!! We all were shocked by it. Perth's climate is always torrid in summertime, but hey 47!!! :fan:

Not to worry, I have excellent memories of that day: we had a swimming pool party going on with family & friends all day! Cocktails' galore & music while immersed in the refreshing water of the pool.Just great! :party::toast:

I am sure we'll do it again this year :P

Oh, thank you, Fortuna! Oh yeah, I remember how torridly hot it was last year!! :veryhot:

I was there last year too!! My Christmas are always spent in Perth! Basically it's my second home :) Have family there...precisely in the northern suburbs, Beldon, a couple of minutes from Mullaloo Beach...

You are right: it was 47 degrees on Boxing Day, that was crazy!! We all were shocked by it. Perth's climate is always torrid in summertime, but hey 47!!! :fan:

Not to worry, I have excellent memories of that day: we had a swimming pool party going on with family & friends all day! Cocktails' galore & music while immersed in the refreshing water of the pool.Just great! :party::toast:

I am sure we'll do it again this year :P

Sounds like the perfect way to spend an extremely hot day AMAZONIC. Great to be so close to the beach too.

I hope you enjoy your holidays with your family just as much this year.

• 3 weeks later...
Ross Halfin is in Sydney. Be on the lookout....

G'day Cactus.

This is from Ross' diary.

Not very complimentary.

January 1

Been in Sydney, Australia for New Year. Flying across Australia was complete cloud. Dawn came above the top and looked quite beautiful, then white nothing like an iced cake for five hours. Sydney on arriving was pouring rain, it was depressing. I looked out of my hotel and wondered why I came here for this... When I'd been with Soundgarden in Sydney it rained for a week - I should have known. I was going to Ayers Rock but it was raining there the day I'd booked a flight. It took a couple of days to clear up. New Years eve and New Years day have been nice but give me Asia anytime.

I suppose it doesn't rain anywhere else in the world?

The beach's are okay at best. I went to Bondi (full of teenagers), Manley (not bad but pretty boring) and Balmoral, which was rather quaint - I expected a castle with the queen. It is also expensive here. They have all these restaurants that have three chefs hats like Michelin stars. I ate in two of them and they were average. I'd rather be at Ago in LA, at least it's always good. This Modern Australian cuisine is awful, the best thing I had was a meat pie at a cafe, or fish and chips on the beach and that's British cuisine.

This time of year Bondi is full of British backpackers and other tourists.

Obviously he didn't stray too far from his hotel or he would have found plenty of good restaurants around The Rocks or Darling Harbour.

Manly beach boring?

Only if you don't swim in the surf!?

Who goes to Balmoral?

On Manley is a war memorial which I spent the late afternoon reading the names of all the dead next to names like Flanders, Ypres, Somme, Paschendale, it was quite sobering and quite old school England, King and country and all that - sad and pointless too...

Especially when the British dragged us into the conflicts in the first place.

The one good restaurant in Sydney is in Chinatown, called the Golden Century. It has no hats or stars. You go in and it's full of tanks holding giant crabs, lobsters, albacore - you name it. All fish from the deep, they look so large you'd think they were mutated from a '50s horror film. It is freaky looking into the tanks. My joy was thinking you can glare at me but I'm going to eat you and I did - the Tucker was fantastic.

Sydney has good eclectic bookshops - I enjoyed browsing. Bought a book, You Can't Always Get What You Want by Sam Cutler, the Rolling Stones tour manager at Hyde Park and on the 1969 US Tour. Sam coined the phase "Ladies and gentlemen, the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world, the Rolling Stones", which you can hear on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out. I always wondered what happened to him. According to this he lives in Melbourne which explains the book. It tails off and doesn't explain how he got there etc. But is a good read on the '69 Stones Tour.

Walking around I noticed all the women seem to smoke. It is vile and they're nearly all ugly too. Perhaps we deported only ugly girls to the colonies. The other thing is people do say things like "G'day, no worries, good on ya, enjoying your tucker, you right" all the time. I'd shoot my child if he talked like this. How anyone would want to move here is beyond me. The first couple of times I came here to Melbourne then Sydney I thought this country is amazing like America with no Americans! Then I came in August and it was depressing and you are cut off from the rest of the world. You fancy a trip to Paris, no problem, only twenty-eight hours. London belongs to me...

He probably got knocked back!

So all English girls don't smoke?

I know where I prefer to live!

Spent New Years Eve in Sydney Harbour. Toyed with taking my camera then didn't and kicked myself, the restaurant was at the edge of the harbour looking directly at the bridge and opera house. There were so many people, I'd never seen anything like it, and the fireworks were spectacular. The downside was walking back to my hotel through over a million drunk people. A lot of Scottish walking around in kilts looking for fights. I took a photo on my sureshot of a Jock up a tree screaming at people offering to fight anyone - animals, no wonder we deported them to the new world (and Toronto). The impressive part of New Year was the police who were friendly and helpful - you wouldn't see that in US or London. They handled the drunk hordes with aplomb, in a cheery way. I was hoping they were going to "Bash" tarzan screaming up on his tree...

More tourists no doubt.

Odd being here for New Year. When I woke on New Year's Day England was still in 2008....

Yeah still way behind the times!

Happy New Year Ross and come again soon and bring Jimmy with you.

What's up Rossy,didn't get the red carpet treatment ?.Or were you just having a bad day..heavens to Betsy Rossy,had we known you were coming you could've had a nice rest in our convict stocks..............for at least a week.Bloody whinjers.

wow can't believe i only just found this thread

I love summer coz it's the only time of the year everyone is off work and it's pretty much just one big party for about 4 weeks. I passed up on two concerts these past few days. Rollercoaster and Southbound.

Rollercoaster because last years one was pretty much just a haze for me, and Southbound pretty much coz of the cost. A mate was trying to sell me a ticket for $220. Didn't really feel like spending that much cash on it, i'd rather fix my amp or guitar that's way over due.

All this stuff about sharks these days is pretty repetitive. since christmas it's pretty much been everyday one has been spotted. The father got killed when he was snorkelling with his son and since then it's been one sighted on scarborough or trigg or cott and even stuff about the government doing nothing to stop it. But i mean it wouldnt really stop me from going in the water unless i knew the shark was at the beach. That shark attack was just down the road from my house.

Hows that for a really random post :D Long overdue, haha

ross has just added another page to his diary. he is still BORED. oh dear ross. all i can say is, what a spoilt man you must be! on holiday with your loved one, in some of the most exclusive places in the world ( he has been to the barrier reef, among other places ) and still not happy. sheesh! i live in oz , and ive never been to any of the places he has mentioned ( except sydney ). he should take a step back and think about what he is doing with his life. not good.

maybe he is only happy when he is with jimmy :rolleyes:

yeah! bring jimmy down under!!!!

ross has just added another page to his diary. he is still BORED. oh dear ross. all i can say is, what a spoilt man you must be! on holiday with your loved one, in some of the most exclusive places in the world ( he has been to the barrier reef, among other places ) and still not happy. sheesh! i live in oz , and ive never been to any of the places he has mentioned ( except sydney ). he should take a step back and think about what he is doing with his life. not good.

maybe he is only happy when he is with jimmy :rolleyes:

yeah! bring jimmy down under!!!!

Wow, after reading what Ross had to say I'd have to wonder why anyone would want to travel with someone so negative. I wouldn't if I wanted to enjoy myself. Me's thinking he must have been on Jimmy's trip to Vancouver :D

"Happy New Year to all our friends in Oz"

Thanks, Dzldoc! and all the best for 2009 to you too! :wave:

This is from Ross' diary.

Not very complimentary.

January 1

Been in Sydney, Australia for New Year. Flying across Australia was complete cloud. Dawn came above the top and looked quite beautiful, then white nothing like an iced cake for five hours. Sydney on arriving was pouring rain, it was depressing. I looked out of my hotel and wondered why I came here for this... When I'd been with Soundgarden in Sydney it rained for a week - I should have known. I was going to Ayers Rock but it was raining there the day I'd booked a flight. It took a couple of days to clear up. New Years eve and New Years day have been nice but give me Asia anytime.

I suppose it doesn't rain anywhere else in the world?

The beach's are okay at best. I went to Bondi (full of teenagers), Manley (not bad but pretty boring) and Balmoral, which was rather quaint - I expected a castle with the queen. It is also expensive here. They have all these restaurants that have three chefs hats like Michelin stars. I ate in two of them and they were average. I'd rather be at Ago in LA, at least it's always good. This Modern Australian cuisine is awful, the best thing I had was a meat pie at a cafe, or fish and chips on the beach and that's British cuisine.

This time of year Bondi is full of British backpackers and other tourists.

Obviously he didn't stray too far from his hotel or he would have found plenty of good restaurants around The Rocks or Darling Harbour.

Manly beach boring?

Only if you don't swim in the surf!?

Who goes to Balmoral?

On Manley is a war memorial which I spent the late afternoon reading the names of all the dead next to names like Flanders, Ypres, Somme, Paschendale, it was quite sobering and quite old school England, King and country and all that - sad and pointless too...

Especially when the British dragged us into the conflicts in the first place.

The one good restaurant in Sydney is in Chinatown, called the Golden Century. It has no hats or stars. You go in and it's full of tanks holding giant crabs, lobsters, albacore - you name it. All fish from the deep, they look so large you'd think they were mutated from a '50s horror film. It is freaky looking into the tanks. My joy was thinking you can glare at me but I'm going to eat you and I did - the Tucker was fantastic.

Sydney has good eclectic bookshops - I enjoyed browsing. Bought a book, You Can't Always Get What You Want by Sam Cutler, the Rolling Stones tour manager at Hyde Park and on the 1969 US Tour. Sam coined the phase "Ladies and gentlemen, the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world, the Rolling Stones", which you can hear on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out. I always wondered what happened to him. According to this he lives in Melbourne which explains the book. It tails off and doesn't explain how he got there etc. But is a good read on the '69 Stones Tour.

Walking around I noticed all the women seem to smoke. It is vile and they're nearly all ugly too. Perhaps we deported only ugly girls to the colonies. The other thing is people do say things like "G'day, no worries, good on ya, enjoying your tucker, you right" all the time. I'd shoot my child if he talked like this. How anyone would want to move here is beyond me. The first couple of times I came here to Melbourne then Sydney I thought this country is amazing like America with no Americans! Then I came in August and it was depressing and you are cut off from the rest of the world. You fancy a trip to Paris, no problem, only twenty-eight hours. London belongs to me...

He probably got knocked back!

So all English girls don't smoke?

I know where I prefer to live!

Spent New Years Eve in Sydney Harbour. Toyed with taking my camera then didn't and kicked myself, the restaurant was at the edge of the harbour looking directly at the bridge and opera house. There were so many people, I'd never seen anything like it, and the fireworks were spectacular. The downside was walking back to my hotel through over a million drunk people. A lot of Scottish walking around in kilts looking for fights. I took a photo on my sureshot of a Jock up a tree screaming at people offering to fight anyone - animals, no wonder we deported them to the new world (and Toronto). The impressive part of New Year was the police who were friendly and helpful - you wouldn't see that in US or London. They handled the drunk hordes with aplomb, in a cheery way. I was hoping they were going to "Bash" tarzan screaming up on his tree...

More tourists no doubt.

Odd being here for New Year. When I woke on New Year's Day England was still in 2008....

Yeah still way behind the times!

Happy New Year Ross and come again soon and bring Jimmy with you.

:lol::hysterical:

Good 'ol Rossie...hahaha..He will never change....LOL. Either you love or hate him.

I can't help but just laugh to what he wrote. He's just too funny...

Reggie,

Sorry but in a couple of things, maybe a few more I have to agree with Ross. Please don't take it bad. ;)

The weather in Sydney in the last two years is just awful: rainy and humide, almost tropical. It is really depressing. One of the reason I always travel to WA in December-January...and when it rains in SYD , it can go on for days & days. Just miserable, considering it is supposed to be summertime.

I have just come back from Perth, and I always say that it is the best Aussie city in regards to summer climate. It can get too hot, but at least it is dry and with a pleasant sea breeze in the afternoon. Every time I travel there for Xmas, hardly there is ONE wet day... Just perfect. I always have the best summer holiday, trust me.

The fireworks in Sydney are the most amazing I have experienced in my life, truly. Cross my heart :D I saw them two years ago in Lavender Bay, not far from Luna Park, and the crowd was just outrageous. I was with some friends (including two male) and by the time it was all over, we had to literally run away because lots of "youngsters" (Aussie & not ) were creating fights, throwing bottles at people, the girls (mind you, most of them Aussie) were so drunk that they were making completely fool of themselves.I just felt embarassed for them.. and the police??? well, I was shocked! They were completely standing there without doing anything...unbelievable! Never seen something like that.

I don't have a very nice memory of that night after the fireworks were over. :(

As for Sydney beaches, I agree with Ross on that one too, Reggie.

Personally, but also according to all the friends & people I met from overseas, they all agree that Western Australia & Queensland have the best beaches in OZ, not Sydney. I am sorry :(

I think, IMHO, Bondi is quite overrated. I agree with Ross when he says that it is full of teenagers (all year round, I would say..).

I like Manly, though. I always go there. Better people, better beach, better enviroment.

Balmoral is a bit uncommon. It looks like some sort of European beachside spot, very elite, some small Saint Tropez. B)

Being European myself, I can understand where Ross is coming from, though.

And I do get it when he says that living in Australia makes you feel so isolated from the rest of the world.

If you live say in Venice, London, etc, you can always plan a week end to Paris, Prague, Barcelona. They are only a couple of hours away...The closest country here is NZ, but I don't think I would fly there only for three nights...LOL

Apart from the above, I still think that Australia is a BEAUTIFUL country, otherwise I wouldn't have moved here. I guess, I have the best of both worlds. When I get bored of Sydney, I just plan a trip back to my homecountry to see my family and when I get sick of the dramas & stresses of Italy, again I fly back to Oz...

As for Sydney, it has its good and bad sides. My favorite is and will always be PERTH, anyway... :P

Archived