Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
slave to zep

australian fans

Funnily enough they are playing the Bowral hotel on the 30th which is my hometown so maybe I will get to see them twice. haha.

That's it, rub it in! :)

Nice part of the country, Bowral.

I might take the family for a drive down there for the weekend.

Funnily enough they are playing the Bowral hotel on the 30th which is my hometown so maybe I will get to see them twice. haha.

and they are doing 3 on the central coast...................

ah reggie, your bloody inbox is full again..................

Not anymore, again...

I know! I would way rather be with you lot at a gig than revising for a test or something! :D

And I forgot to say hi to Grant Ventura :wave:

I look forward to hearing about your gig and I hope you come a little further south one day :thumbsup:

Howdy Gibsongirl.

Nice to meet you.

G

Hey, let me ask all you guys a question...

A pair of sneakers, tied together, hanging off power lines...

Is that just an Australian thing or is it International?

Or is it just a Brisbane thing?

I had a friend over from India, and I was taking her around town, and she noticed sneakers and shoes dangling from power lines, and I said "yeah, I guarantee you that you will find at least one pair of shoes hanging from power lines in every suburb in Brisbane..."

And then it got me thinking, is it an Australia/Brisbane thing or International?

Then we started thinking about how you'd actually get the sneakers to dangle from the power line...and we've come to the conclusion that you tie the sneakers together first (obviously) then hold them out, stand underneath the power line, throw them up, then hope that as the shoes pass the power line, the laces are stopped by the power line, which causes the shoes to come together and cross over each other...

This is not just an Australian thing in fact it is very international. Doing a little research, there is no clear reason why it happens but many theories.

Designating gang activity

A ritual performed by those leaving school/military/institution

An indication that this is a drug area

Way of disposing of old sneakers

Could be all or none of these I suppose.

This is not just an Australian thing in fact it is very international.

An indication that this is a drug area

Could be all or none of these I suppose.

I haven't seen this in Europe, though... :blink:

But I have seen it here in a side street in Glebe (Sydney) and when I asked about it, they said it was an indication that that street was a drug area.

But I have seen it here in a side street in Glebe (Sydney) and when I asked about it, they said it was an indication that that street was a drug area.

They don't call them "sneakers" for nothing!

According to Wikipedia it started in the USA:

Shoe tossing has been observed in areas of the United States, Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Mexico, Ecuador and Ireland.

Really?? I've never heard that before... What do you do? Go to the house that's underneath the shoes? Or knock on everybody's door til you find the dealer?

I mean there's a pair dangling from Brunswick Street, which is one of Brisbane's busiest shopping streets...I guess there's more for sale than I thought...

Really?? I've never heard that before... What do you do? Go to the house that's underneath the shoes? Or knock on everybody's door til you find the dealer?

Hahhahahaa...believe it or not, but apparently it is true.

Hey, I wasn't interested in that, of course. But after a dinner out in Glebe, a friend had parked his car in that side street and when we got there, I was just amazed to see those sneakers hanging on the wires. So I asked this friend of mine the meaning of that and he said it was a sign that if you wanted to get some dope that was the right place!!! :blink:

No wonder I told him rightaway to get in the car and take off..hahahhahah

Over a number of years, I've seen both a pair of sneekers and then later a pair of work boots dangling from power lines in Francis Street next to Broadway Shopping Centre opposite the basketball court.

reggie your in box is full again who you talking too???

ANYONE & EVERYONE!

Inbox ok now.

Hey, he's a MAN on high demand! ;)

Can you say that? apologies for my english hahhaa

Over a number of years, I've seen both a pair of sneekers and then later a pair of work boots dangling from power lines in Francis Street next to Broadway Shopping Centre opposite the basketball court.

Oh yeah, that is the street! I am talking about!

reggie......do i have to tell you again.............

Yes Mum, I'll clean out my inbox, again...

According to Wikipedia it started in the USA:
"Well there's yer problem" ! :P

No way! I see this pair off shoes dangling on a power line everytime I pass it but I never thought anything of it. Although I highly doubt that there is any drug activity going on because it's mostly wealthy families and retirees who live in that area.

A street not far from me does a have a computer mouse (with the cord attached) hanging off the power lines though! Goodness knows how they got it there or what for :lol:

No way! I see this pair off shoes dangling on a power line everytime I pass it but I never thought anything of it. Although I highly doubt that there is any drug activity going on because it's mostly wealthy families and retirees who live in that area.

A street not far from me does a have a computer mouse (with the cord attached) hanging off the power lines though! Goodness knows how they got it there or what for :lol:

God figure! Maybe Adelaide is different from other cities.

I have been there a few years ago. I remember a nice beach, Henley Beach..?? :)

just wanted to bump this up in case there are any new people who have just joined and might care to join us. all welcome! its next sunday, 25th may.

just wanted to bump this up in case there are any new people who have just joined and might care to join us. all welcome! its next sunday, 25th may.
Looks set to be the first of many ! :)B)