What Do You Guys Believe Exists?

Sketchy K

Why ever not? i have two.

There are many living in the UK.

You never heard of Glaswegians? ask Ally he'll put you right.

If you ever meet a Ghost just kick him in the Ghoulies.

Now come on, New Zealand if full of them, have you never seen Lord of the Rings?

Ronnie James Dio comes to mind GRHS.

All kids do it, even my 21 year old Pixies Nose.

Ozzie says that all "Fairies Wear Boots" so they should be easy to identify.

You wont be saying that when "Jesus gonna make up your dying bed" will you?

Regards, Danny

PS, That little "Devil" made me do it. :o;):lol:

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: Danny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much! I almost died laughing! I was feeling a bit down today but you made me laugh! Thank you Thank you! Thank you!!!!! :thumbsup:

JUNE 1756. 1 TUESDAY. Drank Tea at the Majors. The Reasoning of Mathematicians is founded on certain and infallible Principles. Every Word they Use, conveys a determinate Idea, and by accurate Definitions they excite the same Ideas in the mind of the Reader that were in the mind of the Writer. When they have defined the Terms they intend to make use of, they premise a few Axioms, or Self evident Principles, that every man must assent to as soon as proposed. They then take for granted certain Postulates, that no one can deny them, such as, that a right Line may be drawn from one given Point to another, and from these plain simple Principles, they have raised most astonishing Speculations, and proved the Extent of the human mind to be more spacious and capable than any other Science.

Go fish.

Woah. I've changed. I believed in ghosts, bigfoot... and I used that canard "absence of evidence does not equal evidence of absence"?

*cringes*

I will put out that this a comment on only me, no one else, so no need to take it personally unless your name is Nathan, you live in Boca Raton, FL, your Dad is Jewish clergy, and you haven't posted here in a really long time. :P

Guess I gotta change some answers:

Bigfoot: No

Ghosts: No (side note: why are they always wearing clothes in sightings? If you think about it, it makes no sense.)

Supernatural: No

Woah. I've changed. I believed in ghosts, bigfoot... and I used that canard "absence of evidence does not equal evidence of absence"?

*cringes*

I will put out that this a comment on only me, no one else, so no need to take it personally unless your name is Nathan, you live in Boca Raton, FL, your Dad is Jewish clergy, and you haven't posted here in a really long time. :P

Guess I gotta change some answers:

Bigfoot: No

Ghosts: No (side note: why are they always wearing clothes in sightings? If you think about it, it makes no sense.)

Supernatural: No

Hi Nathan. I remember you. I used to be Yukon. Im with you on Bigfoot. I used to think the Loch Ness Monster had something to it but no more. Hoax. I would not totally exclude supernatural. I just dont know. Life in outer space, I believe it has to exist somewhere but too far away for us to detect presently.

Hi Nathan. I remember you. I used to be Yukon. Im with you on Bigfoot. I used to think the Loch Ness Monster had something to it but no more. Hoax. I would not totally exclude supernatural. I just dont know. Life in outer space, I believe it has to exist somewhere but too far away for us to detect presently.

I don't completely rule out the supernatural. I am an atheist, but not the stereotyped "I know for a fact that there are no gods or such" atheist.

I simply find myself skeptical due to the lack of empirical evidence, and I find the canard "science can't touch the supernatural" to be a sad cop-out. People have told me that it'd be better to call myself an agnostic, but I do not think it can never be known (an agnostic is someone who thinks it is impossible to know so there's no point talking about it, basically). I do, in fact, think the question can be answered. So no, I don't know, but it can be known, and I am skeptical.

As far as life in outer space, you don't have to believe it... it's a fact.

The smallest amount of planets in our observable universe is estimated at around 100 billion trillion. So even if intelligent life is a rare as 1 in a billion (which, if I'm not mistaken, is the projected statistic), that still means there are at least 1 billion planets in our observable universe alone with intelligent life on them. And that's only in our observable universe. It's pretty much accepted that our observable universe is no where near being the entire universe, and it's actually possible that the amount of planets could actually be infinite, or, at the very least, there could be so many planets that to human understanding the amount of planets may as well be infinite (we may not actually have a name for the number), making the existence of more intelligent life outside of our planet entirely inevitable.

In other words, it is impossible for intelligent extraterrestrial life to not exist, simply because of the size of our universe (and I do emphasize our universe since it's pretty much accepted that our universe is not the only one [or, if it is, it wasn't always the only one]).

Edited by Nathan

Way back in this thread I related what I believe to be a true ghost story . I am not one who studies this type of experience nor am I somebody who feels the need to explain it. I just know that for whatever reason,it happened. Female dressed in white glancing into our bedroom as she walked by. Have never experienced another situation like it since but, I still get a chill whenever it comes to mind.

Throw another log on the fire please !!!

Way back in this thread I related what I believe to be a true ghost story . I am not one who studies this type of experience nor am I somebody who feels the need to explain it. I just know that for whatever reason,it happened. Female dressed in white glancing into our bedroom as she walked by. Have never experienced another situation like it since but, I still get a chill whenever it comes to mind.

emphasis mine

And that right there is why I don't believe it.

Clothes don't have souls, and they don't die. No way there are clothes of any kind in any afterlife world.

Note: I'm only being halfway facetious. :P

Edited by Nathan

Easy Ally, Voyeurs are real people, if you had been out Dogging that night She might have come back for a second peek, you lucky, lucky bastie you. :o:lol:

Very Kind Regards, Danny

emphasis mine

And that right there is why I don't believe it.

Clothes don't have souls, and they don't die. No way there are clothes of any kind in any afterlife world.

Note: I'm only being halfway facetious. :P

Hi Nathan,

When your Soul leaves your body and travels up to Heaven, Purgatory or Hell, let me tell you that at −273.15°C or −459.67°F or Fcuking Cold to the rest of us, you really do need your cloths on, and if Ally remembered to look very closely He will remember that His White Lady had Thermal Nickers on as well. :yesnod:

Regards, Danny

I don't completely rule out the supernatural. I am an atheist, but not the stereotyped "I know for a fact that there are no gods or such" atheist.

I simply find myself skeptical due to the lack of empirical evidence, and I find the canard "science can't touch the supernatural" to be a sad cop-out. People have told me that it'd be better to call myself an agnostic, but I do not think it can never be known (an agnostic is someone who thinks it is impossible to know so there's no point talking about it, basically). I do, in fact, think the question can be answered. So no, I don't know, but it can be known, and I am skeptical.

As far as life in outer space, you don't have to believe it... it's a fact.

The smallest amount of planets in our observable universe is estimated at around 100 billion trillion. So even if intelligent life is a rare as 1 in a billion (which, if I'm not mistaken, is the projected statistic), that still means there are at least 1 billion planets in our observable universe alone with intelligent life on them. And that's only in our observable universe. It's pretty much accepted that our observable universe is no where near being the entire universe, and it's actually possible that the amount of planets could actually be infinite, or, at the very least, there could be so many planets that to human understanding the amount of planets may as well be infinite (we may not actually have a name for the number), making the existence of more intelligent life outside of our planet entirely inevitable.

In other words, it is impossible for intelligent extraterrestrial life to not exist, simply because of the size of our universe (and I do emphasize our universe since it's pretty much accepted that our universe is not the only one [or, if it is, it wasn't always the only one]).

I think I would prefer the word unlikely than impossible as to their existence. But you are basing your conclusions on numbers and I would certainly classify you as an agnostic over an atheist based on your past posts on Judaism. Your parents would probably not like the idea of you expressing yourself as an atheist being from a Jewish raising I would guess? Whether they are orthodox or conservative. I do not rule out anything that is out there. Alien life and I do indeed believe in God. But unlike you, believe that Jesus is indeed the son of God. But that aside, its probably going to be difficult to live to see proof of life out there due to time and distance. And just how far away things are. If there were intelligent life in striking distance, within a few galaxies in distance, dont you think we would have already heard from them? I do. And they may just be too far away. Perhaps they have a signal traveling out there, maybe on its way to us? God, I sure hope the first thing they hear from us is not I Love Lucy.

Hi Nathan,

When your Soul leaves your body and travels up to Heaven, Purgatory or Hell, let me tell you that at −273.15°C or −459.67°F or Fcuking Cold to the rest of us, you really do need your cloths on, and if Ally remembered to look very closely He will remember that His White Lady had Thermal Nickers on as well. :yesnod:

Regards, Danny

:hysterical:

I think I would prefer the word unlikely than impossible as to their existence. But you are basing your conclusions on numbers

Yes and no. I'm basing my conclusions on both mathematical and logical statistics. We know for a fact intelligent life evolved once (see: planet earth). So it's already not impossible. Statistically speaking, if it can happen once, it can happen again. Our universe is huge. Impossibly huge. We humans can't comprehend how big it is, and we probably never will. There has to be more intelligent life out there. I don't see how it's possible that we're the only ones, and I'm quite sure that the vast majority of scientists would agree.

and I would certainly classify you as an agnostic over an atheist based on your past posts on Judaism. Your parents would probably not like the idea of you expressing yourself as an atheist being from a Jewish raising I would guess? Whether they are orthodox or conservative. I do not rule out anything that is out there.

The only people in my family who seem to take issue are my Dad (a Hazzan), and my mom's dad (a Deacon). The rest seem absolutely fine with it.

And here's why I'm not an agnostic:

http://www.merriam-w...ionary/agnostic

1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

2: a person unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics> — ag·nos·ti·cism noun

I do not hold any view that ultimate reality is unknown and unknowable. In fact, while I agree it may not be currently known, I in fact think it is most definitely knowable. I also am NOT unwilling to commit to a position.

Here is what I say, specifically, about God and the supernatural:

I do not rule out the possibility that my mind can be changed. If future evidence suggests that there is a higher power, then I will change my mind most readily. That said, my understanding of our universe (based on studying astronomy, cosmology, physics, biology, etc) leads me to conclude that any sort of creator is entirely unnecessary. Therefore, I lack belief in any form of higher power (or am otherwise skeptical).

I believe the position is known as "weak atheism" or "agnostic atheism".

I do admit that if definitive evidence of a creator came about, I'd most likely be a Jew. I love the culture and the civilization. So I'm no anti-theist (I was when I first lost my faith, mostly just out of anger that I lost my faith). I honestly don't care what anyone believes, as long as they don't try and force it on me, and, unlike some, I'm not interested in "spreading atheism" (which I think is incredibly stupid, quite frankly, especially since the lack of proselytizing is what first endeared me to Judaism). I am, however, quite vocally outspoken against religious radicalism (creationism, Sharia Law, religious-inspired bigotry, etc) and do in fact support anti-theism in response to religious radicalism (because while you can't fight fire with fire, you also can't put out a raging inferno with a light drizzle).

Although I do think I'm starting to pull this thread off-topic. Sorry... :blush:

Perhaps we should move to a private conversation or start a new thread if you want to continue with this?

Alien life and I do indeed believe in God. But unlike you, believe that Jesus is indeed the son of God.

Fair enough.

But that aside, its probably going to be difficult to live to see proof of life out there due to time and distance. And just how far away things are. If there were intelligent life in striking distance, within a few galaxies in distance, dont you think we would have already heard from them?

No.

Light speed is the cosmic speed limit. From everything we know, it is literally impossible to go faster.

The closest star to our solar system (that is not the sun) is Proxima Centauri. It is 4.2421 light years, or 2.49371841 x 1013 miles, away. Currently, the fastest vehicles we have are the twin Helios spacecraft currently in orbit around the sun. Using their fastest speed, it would take 18,110 years to get there from here (or from here to there). The reason light speed is basically an impossible speed barrier to break is because as matter goes faster, its mass increases. In order to reach light speed, we would need a rocket many times the size of our solar system burning more fuel than is estimated to exist in our entirely solar system... indeed, burning more fuel than our sun burns. Even if we were thousands of years ahead in technology, it would be impossible (the reason light can reach that speed is because photons basically have no mass, so there's no mass to increase).

Yes, there are other ideas... wormholes, warp drives, etc. But none of these are currently technologically possible for us, and even Michio Kaku and Stephen Hawking have trouble seeing how it could ever be done. The amount of energy required would be ridiculously massive... making a supernova look non-existent by comparison, in fact. And there's no way of knowing what damage such a thing could do to the fabric of spacetime (and therefore existence), so even if it was possible, the question would then be, is it really worth the (possible) risks?

We are currently not technology capable of understanding anything that could come from so far away. If the human species lasts long enough, I promise you that our great-great-great-...-great-grandchildren will likely not be alive to see the day we actually "make contact" with other life. We are currently just too primitive, and will be for an extremely long time.

Let's be realistic for now and just look forward to landing the first man on Mars, perhaps a colonization on the Moon, and private/commercial flights into space. Those are more realistic goals with our current level of technology, and I can guarantee that most of us on this board will be alive to see at least 2 out of those 3 goals, if not all 3 (in fact, I would not be surprised if Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones live to see the first man on Mars... it will likely happen within the next decade).

And they may just be too far away. Perhaps they have a signal traveling out there, maybe on its way to us? God, I sure hope the first thing they hear from us is not I Love Lucy.

No, don't worry. Our TV/Radio signals die out before they even leave our solar system, so I Love Lucy will most likely never be heard/seen by anyone out there.

Edited by Nathan

Well Ill be short and mention a couple of things Nathan brought up. Warp drives are interesting conept. I believe that is the concept of building a craft that would use Sir Isaac Newtons law to attain speeds unimaginable by normal means. A type of increasing momentum buildup with nothing to slow it. But a strike with an asteroid could easiley ruin it. But it could not be manned Im sure. A manned spacecraft would have to have volunteers willing to never return and reproduce on the ship. The closest star you mentioned I have been told could be reached in 40 years if and only if we could travel at a speed of half the speed of light. I agree something has to be out there. Its just too far and they are bound to the same rules of physics that we are regardless of how advanced they may be. I do not agree that the beginning is totally explainable by scientific means. You cannot get something out of nothing. You can take your gas's and dust particals and all that starting out a chain of events leading to all of this, but you still must explain how you get something out of an empty void. It cant be done at this point. If we can exist, and be intelligent, so can a God. And he could chose his own reasons whether to interfere or not in events on this planet. Your points are all good ones and I too have studies Astronomy in college. So I do have some knowledge of it and much is from Seeds. An author of one of the best books on astronomy. I was fortunate to take the course during the run of the comet named after the amatuer Japanese astronomer who first saw it. I was able to see it with binoculars quite well.

I believe that Near Death Experiences actually occur and are more than simply a misfiring of the neurons at the point of death. I think that there is a sensory plane that we are not always aware of /in tune with.

I am a RN, have had many patients that have been close to death and passed on. I also have personally experienced the NDE years ago- it was awesome.

I believe that Near Death Experiences actually occur and are more than simply a misfiring of the neurons at the point of death. I think that there is a sensory plane that we are not always aware of /in tune with.

I am a RN, have had many patients that have been close to death and passed on. I also have personally experienced the NDE years ago- it was awesome.

What do you mean? What happened to bring you to that point? If you would rather not say I understand but Im curious.

What do you mean? What happened to bring you to that point? If you would rather not say I understand but Im curious.

As I said, I am a RN. I work with people who are dying, or those who have been revived after their heart stopped. Their reports, as well as experiences that I had at ages 21 and 26 while critically ill, have convinced me that there is an level of consciousness (for lack of a better description) that we are usually not aware of and many persons don't believe in.

I'm not certain whether I want to expand with truly descriptive information or not. My mother doubted my experience when I described it to her, until I described a dog I saw that had died before I was born sitting at the feet of a long deceased relative. I never knew this dog existed prior to my experience.

Strange stuff. But not every thing in life has a ready explanation. B)

Edited by Tejanablonde