What Do You Guys Believe Exists?

Sketchy K

Well, I don't call myself religious, but I believe in God. Only because as I studied the human body in university, I can't ever accept that such complexity in the human body and all other species of plants and animals and the rest of the universe, came by chance. To me personally, God is the only entity that I don't need "proof" of to believe, as I said, because of that reason. For me, that reason is all the proof I need, and the evidence of that "proof" is the universe and everything in it.

All others I cannot believe as I've never had any experience of it. I also find it at a bit ridiculous that alien spaceships can fly from other galaxies, and then crash in our planet. To me, it's a bit like a formula one racing car driver who can't drive around a shopping car park without getting hit.

I don't believe in the Loch Ness monster, but do I believe in fire breathing dragons? No I don't, but the Bible I know in the book of Job alludes to a large creature that breathes fire. So what does anyone say to that? Because I don't have a clue. I'd love to hear some sort of explanation.

Well, I don't call myself religious, but I believe in God. Only because as I studied the human body in university, I can't ever accept that such complexity in the human body and all other species of plants and animals and the rest of the universe, came by chance. To me personally, God is the only entity that I don't need "proof" of to believe, as I said, because of that reason. For me, that reason is all the proof I need, and the evidence of that "proof" is the universe and everything in it.

All others I cannot believe as I've never had any experience of it. I also find it at a bit ridiculous that alien spaceships can fly from other galaxies, and then crash in our planet. To me, it's a bit like a formula one racing car driver who can't drive around a shopping car park without getting hit.

I don't believe in the Loch Ness monster, but do I believe in fire breathing dragons? No I don't, but the Bible I know in the book of Job alludes to a large creature that breathes fire. So what does anyone say to that? Because I don't have a clue. I'd love to hear some sort of explanation.

Well I personally always believed the old testament had more symbolism. I do not believe in the concept of Adam and Eve. But I take the new testament more seriously. As for the spaceships I agree with you. And Ill tell you why. they are too far away and would be handcuffed to the same laws of physics that we are. The closest star beyond our sun is Sirius. If you had a spaceship that could travel at the speed of light (the fastest speed possibe in physics) then it would take you 40 yrs to get there! Ouch. So they would have to have long life spans or have the ability to reproduce on the ship (not impossible). something we ourselves have contemplated.

I believe Aliens and Ghosts exist, not positively, but I'm quite sure there's logical enough proof and reasons for believing they might. Especially when I had a ghostly encounter when I was about 8 or 9. Not quite sure what it was at the time, but it scared me. Now I know it was a shadow ghost, but it wasn't against any walls, it was in a 3D spheric form - kind of human like, but not.

It's hard to describe, but I was jumping up and down on my bed which was opposite my door that was in one corner. The lights were off, I think it must have been 12am, because my parents used to put me to bed about 10pm, and I remember staying up late. But anyway, I was jumping up and down on my bed, I don't know why, I guess I used to like bouncing on things like trampolines and beds.

My room was very dark, but my eyes adjusted to it after a little bit. And then I eventually saw the shadowy human-shaped thing right over by my door, and that's when I just paused instantly. It was so quiet I could feel and hear my own heart beating through my ears as I stood and stared at the thing. It was slowly and gradually coming towards me, not changing shape or form.

When it got about halfway across the room, I decided to get under my bed covers. I peeked out of my covers to the side of my bed and it was right beside my bed. The last thing I remember is looking up at it and then just falling asleep. So all in all, it was harmless enough.

The thing that relates to that event, is that the people that lived there before my family had a son, a young man. And he was drunk one night, slipped and cracked his skull on the doorstep resulting in his death. I think my parents said he could have been saved, but no one knew he was outside with a cracked skull on the doorstep until the morning.

Not just that though, other weird things that my mother told me about in recent years. She told me that when I was a child, about 4-5. I used to sit next to the walls and talk to them, having a conversation with someone. :lol: I don't remember that, but if my mum said it happened then it did.

Edited by Bonham

The closest star beyond our sun is Sirius. If you had a spaceship that could travel at the speed of light (the fastest speed possibe in physics) then it would take you 40 yrs to get there!

I'm not sure where you got that, but Proxima Centauri is the closest star to the sun and it's roughly 4 light years away. And it wouldn't take 4 years "ship time" to get there at near light speed, you aren't taking into account the effects of relativity.

Edited by Uncle Bill

Well I personally always believed the old testament had more symbolism. I do not believe in the concept of Adam and Eve. But I take the new testament more seriously. As for the spaceships I agree with you. And Ill tell you why. they are too far away and would be handcuffed to the same laws of physics that we are. The closest star beyond our sun is Sirius. If you had a spaceship that could travel at the speed of light (the fastest speed possibe in physics) then it would take you 40 yrs to get there! Ouch. So they would have to have long life spans or have the ability to reproduce on the ship (not impossible). something we ourselves have contemplated.

Yes, but I don't know if you're aware of another form of space/time travel. It was a hypothesis I learnt at uni. Again, not that I'm supporting aliens, but to be fair, to present an alternative to space/time travel.

And I'll be stuffed if I can remember the name of it. But it goes like this. If you take a sheet of paper, travel can be represented by the distance from one side to another. The idea hypothesised was to distort space, akin to folding the paper in half. Then when the 2 sides are together,(ie, distorting the space/time plane) it is only a tiny distance from one side of the paper to the other. You pass through the other side, and then redistort the space time plane again, (unfold the sheet of paper flat again). And presto, you have travelled from one side of the paper to the other without having to travel a long distance.

You also mentioned that you don't take the OT or Adam and Eve literally, but symbolically. And this is part of the problem of why I'm not really "religious". The thing is this: in the NT (that you said that you take seriously), both Jesus and the apostle Paul spoke of Adam and Eve literally. If you can discount Adam and Eve, then you can discount Jesus too. So my question becomes, "what parts of the Bible are literal and what parts are symbolic?"

Edited by ledsabbath

Yes, but I don't know if you're aware of another form of space/time travel. It was a hypothesis I learnt at uni. Again, not that I'm supporting aliens, but to be fair, to present an alternative to space/time travel.

And I'll be stuffed if I can remember the name of it. But it goes like this. If you take a sheet of paper, travel can be represented by the distance from one side to another. The idea hypothesised was to distort space, akin to folding the paper in half. Then when the 2 sides are together,(ie, distorting the space/time plane) it is only a tiny distance from one side of the paper to the other. You pass through the other side, and then redistort the space time plane again, (unfold the sheet of paper flat again). And presto, you have travelled from one side of the paper to the other without having to travel a long distance.

I think it's wormholes your thinking of.

There is another concept involving increased momentum. The laws of Sir Isaac Newton. But to answer Uncle Bill, Ill have to go back and check my Astronomy book (by Seeds). You may be correct, but I dont think there are any satellites ie asteroids or planets around this star you mentioned. I believe there may be in the case of Sirius. I know it is one of the closest and brightest.

T I dont think there are any satellites ie asteroids or planets around this star you mentioned.

You didn't say w/ discovered asteroids or planets, if memory serves that would be Epsilon Eridani about 10 and a half light years away, which they think may have habitable moons.

edited to add:

I could be wrong, I'm too lazy at the moment to look this stuff up so no flames please :)

Edited by Uncle Bill

You didn't say w/ discovered asteroids or planets, if memory serves that would be Epsilon Eridani about 10 and a half light years away, which they think may have habitable moons.

edited to add:

I could be wrong, I'm too lazy at the moment to look this stuff up so no flames please :)

Well Ill have to go back and check my books. Havent done so in quite some time. I believe I meant to say half the speed of light earlier as for getting to Sirius, But I though my Astronomy teacher told me about 40 yrs. But just imagine how long to an inhabitable planet. the Hubble has found many new planets. But so far away.

I've had a "near death experience", so I believe in existence in other dimensions. I have also worked in the medical field long enough to experience some really bizarre (and frightening at times) things.

Beliefs:

Life after death- yes (see above). Where one "ends up" is individual.

Ghosts- yes. Worked with the elderly/dying for some time. I have many stories.

Skinwalkers- yes. I believe that some persons have abilities that are not easily explained. Medicine men and shamen have some amazing abilities as well.

I strongly believe that there are things not yet discovered, or that are scientifically inexplicable.

The fact that science cannot place its tag on a thing does not dismiss its existence. B)

what were we told as kids when we thought a monster was under our bed or in our closet or when we talked of an imaginary friend? "you're being foolish" what were we told as kids when adults did not want us venturing into places? "there's a monster in there, it will get you". the loch ness monster and other fabled creatures may have originated in that manner. the water is like 900 feet deep. so it is hard for us as adults to believe in anything we can't fit into a styrofoam box and eat. the lies make us believe the biggest lie of all. that there is absolute truth.

Edited by zero

edited to add:

Hey Uncle Bill. Lets go build us a spaceship and ride the fuck out of Dodge. My wife would love that.

What are skinwalkers??? I've never heard of that.

Native Americans believe that some persons have the ability through magick to change their shapes/appearances or to walk through walls. Similar behaviors to werewolves, but with more abilities. These individuals NEVER have good intentions when they "change"- they do this with the purpose of harming another person.

I believe Aliens and Ghosts exist, not positively, but I'm quite sure there's logical enough proof and reasons for believing they might. Especially when I had a ghostly encounter when I was about 8 or 9. Not quite sure what it was at the time, but it scared me. Now I know it was a shadow ghost, but it wasn't against any walls, it was in a 3D spheric form - kind of human like, but not.

It's hard to describe, but I was jumping up and down on my bed which was opposite my door that was in one corner. The lights were off, I think it must have been 12am, because my parents used to put me to bed about 10pm, and I remember staying up late. But anyway, I was jumping up and down on my bed, I don't know why, I guess I used to like bouncing on things like trampolines and beds.

My room was very dark, but my eyes adjusted to it after a little bit. And then I eventually saw the shadowy human-shaped thing right over by my door, and that's when I just paused instantly. It was so quiet I could feel and hear my own heart beating through my ears as I stood and stared at the thing. It was slowly and gradually coming towards me, not changing shape or form.

When it got about halfway across the room, I decided to get under my bed covers. I peeked out of my covers to the side of my bed and it was right beside my bed. The last thing I remember is looking up at it and then just falling asleep. So all in all, it was harmless enough.

The thing that relates to that event, is that the people that lived there before my family had a son, a young man. And he was drunk one night, slipped and cracked his skull on the doorstep resulting in his death. I think my parents said he could have been saved, but no one knew he was outside with a cracked skull on the doorstep until the morning.

Not just that though, other weird things that my mother told me about in recent years. She told me that when I was a child, about 4-5. I used to sit next to the walls and talk to them, having a conversation with someone. :lol: I don't remember that, but if my mum said it happened then it did.

I think I would be more convinced had you been 19 rather than 9. How the hell could you just fall asleep after that?/ Id run out of the damn house.

Let's see:

Bigfoot (and it's cousins, like the Yeti): Yes.

Read the article on the following link:

http://stephendsullivan.blogspot.com/2008/...truth-yeti.html

Loch Ness Monster: No. Even though I used to. But the best picture of it is a fake and no one has found a thing after years and years of searching.

Aliens: Our universe is too vast for Earth to be the only inhabited planet, and I seriously doubt our planet has the only intelligent creatures, as well. I'm willing to bet there are civilizations out there way more intelligent than ours.

Have we been visited by aliens? The existing "proof" just isn't good enough to make me believe we have.

Are dolphins more intelligent than humans? I do believe they are.

Atlantis: yes

Ghosts: yes

Was 9/11 orchestrated by the government as an excuse for the Iraq War? Bush and Cheney may be evil, but not that evil. So no. 9/11 happened as we were told it happened.

Did Bush win in 2004 because of voter-fraud or whatever they say? No. The electoral college voted him in. All in favor of abolishing the electoral college say "aye."

Is Dec. 21, 2012 the end of the world? I do believe it is the end of something. What that something is, I don't know.

Does Judaism/Christianity/Islam the right path to Heaven? None of us are right. We are all going to die and find out that all 6 billion(+/-) have been wrong, from "Adam and Eve" onwards. And I say that as a proud Jew.

Is magic real? Yes.

Does God exist? I think so.

Does God play any roll in what happens here on Earth? No. That's why we have free will.

Is Jimmy Page a wizard? He's listed as a Thelemic wizard, so yes.

Do mythical seamonsters exist? How much of the ocean's creatures haven't we discovered yet? What creature's klive in those unexplored depths. Do seamonsters exist? Wasn't the giant squid a mythical seamonster before its discovery? Yes, they do. It's just a matter of when they will be scientifically documented.

But then we ge in to the realm of science fiction. If any alien civilization has spaceships that can travel across space, whose to say they don't have hyperdrive (or something similar)? Just because we humans call it scifi and impossible does not mean it's not a well-used technology for another advanced civilization.

We humans make the mistake of thinking we are the most intelligient, most advanced civilization in the Universe, and that, my friends, is complete and utter bullshit. Hell, we're probably not even the most intelligent on our own planet. There most likely is at least one civilization lightyears ahead of us technologically. Why can I believe that, you ask? Well, we already know this universe is infintely large. It has to have more inhabited planets in it then just Earth. Considering that, why, then, do we humans have to be the most advanced? In this infinitely large vacuum of space that we call the Universe are an unknown amount of galaxies. Within those galaxies are even more solar systems, and within those solar systems are even more planets. Chances are, there's at least one civilization out there that makes us look like we're still cavemen, if not hundreds of billions.

Just because we haven't figured out how to make hyperdrive a reality and how to make travelling much faster then light a reality, doesn't mean no civilization has. We are not the end all, be all. We are NOT the most advanced civilization in the Universe. That kind of thinking is egotistical and just plain stupid.