RockAction's Fishing Thread!

Rock Action

So..I know of a few of you already who enjoy fishing, and the wonderful meals those fillets provide...

Let's hear about your finest catches, most enjoyable outings and bizarre fish tales!

Brooktroutpicture.jpg

My favorite fish of all time, the brook trout. Beautiful fish, fantastic eating. :D

I enjoy trout fishing and try to go at least a couple of times per year. Most of my fishing is done on the Eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada. Some of my favorite places to go Bishop Creek / Lake Sabrina, Rock Creek, June Lake, Lundy Lake and near Bridgeport Calif. It was a tradition with my father to take my brother and I trout fishing, and I do the same with my son and nephews.

fisherman_5b.jpg

Bishop Creek

img_0512.jpg

Lake Sabrina

along_rock_creek.jpg

Rock Creek

june_lake.jpg

June Lake

ca5618.jpg

Lundy Lake

Goddamn, Del! We're damn near neighbors up there..

I do most of my favorite trout fishing on the west side of Sonora Pass. The Clark Fork of the Stanislaus, the Emigrant Wilderness, and so on. I was raised up there, more or less.

Of course the Metolius River up here has some huge bull and rainbow trout. It's all catch and release on that river, but I have a camera, and a backup place to catch some dinner.

Man, the trout back in the Emigrant Wilderness. It's a challenge to get there, but the fishing and scenery combined are unbeatable.

I like fishing. I don't go a whole lot, though. I've been bass fishing at Lake Morena (pictured below) which is sort of southeast of San Diego, and I've been out saltwater fishing a couple times. Oh! And I went trout fishing near Mt. Lassen in Northern California twice when I was little. Unfortunately, I've never caught anything to speak of.

Cleveland-lot-lake.jpg

Lake Morena, San Diego

USA_Lassen_NP_Kings_Creek_enhanced.jpg

King's Creek, Lassen (isn't that awesome? I just want to go back there and take in the view!)

Great pics, guys! As you can see by the Morena Lake picture, our lakes aren't the most exciting ones ever. I'd love to go to Oregon or Montana or something and go fishing.

I reccomend striped bass fishing with a floating popper lure, the fish sometimes tail slaps them and then run with them. Its not an easy fish to catch because they dont have teeth, they have crushers in their throats. So alot of times they bite a lure and run with it and then spit it out.

The biggest one i caught was 37 inches, 20 something pounds i guess, didnt weigh it. It was just luck, a windy day, not great conditions...but i happened to be clamming and going back to the boat and there were fish running through this creek. I had casted and hooked a small one and lost it, casted again and got a hit but lost it and then finally hooked into this big fish. Usually your catching solitary stripers in deep areas with clam bait or at high tide up against the marshes with poppers...but this seemed to be a big movement of alot of fish, in this creek. Its alot of fun catching them on popper plugs with a lighter pole and spinning reel.

The best eating fish is the fluke and their keeper limit was up to 18inches, but this year there is going to be a no catch at all, with fluke, to get them to come back. New York did that with the striped bass years ago and the fish came back, so hopefully this helps fluke.

I dont fish much at all anymore, the local bay seems like a wasteland from what it used to be when i was a kid. The people who seem to catch are either spending 40dollars on chum and fishing the bridges, or are steaming out in the ocean with gps/loran, when there are reports of fish on the vhf radio and the internet. Its not what fishing used to be. Its not going out and finding birds and then snagging your own bunker for bait and then fishing with live bait. Or getting killies from a trap and going out and fishing for fluke anywhere in the bay and catching fish (enough for dinner). Even the late summer snappers that used to be all through the bay and canals are like one tenth from what they used to be.

Obviously Michigan is known for all of its Great Lakes, but I don't really fish a whole lot. Not that I don't like it, I love it.

216399555_38c5c7d698.jpg

Lake Michigan

shuttle-superior.jpg

Lake Superior

ad_42250n.jpg

Lake Huron

Fishing can be hard out there, but hey. they're beautiful pictures yeah?

What bridge is that?/ And nice fish Rock Action. wish I had one for dinner.

I often fish Lake Pontchartrain this is the Causeway bridge that crosses the lake from

Metairie, LA. to Mandeville, LA. it's 24mi long. In the satalite view you can see the Mississippi River to the south.

BAS34_Postkarte.jpg

nasa_lake_pontchartrian.jpg

I went trout fishing once. Fly fishing. I nearly put the eye out of the guy standing behind me with my fly, and then I fell over and my waders filled with water and I had to be rescued, and that's why I only went once.

My companion however caught a fish the size of Moby Dick later that night--it's now stuffed and mounted and takes up most of his office.

I often fish Lake Pontchartrain this is the Causeway bridge that crosses the lake from

Metairie, LA. to Mandeville, LA. it's 24mi long. In the satalite view you can see the Mississippi River to the south.

nasa_lake_pontchartrian.jpg

My father runs a company that produces floating baffles. Floating baffles are like fences for lake. They look like floating pipes., but they are there to force water into different directions so Shit ponds and some lakes don't get dead spots where algae takes over. Just like ropes that form a line for people to wait in.

When pipefitting gets slow, i go work for him. We just finished making and installing 3 miles worth of floating baffles for lake Pontchartrain and for surrounding area. at a cost of 2 million dollars. 2 months of nonstop work. A week after we left, Hurricane Katrina hit. All three miles worth of baffles were gone, nobody could find them for a few weeks until the water went down when they were exposed, since they are anchored to the bottom, but by then they were completely useless. So the state of Louisiana or who ever had to reordered them because they weren't covered under any sort of warranty due to hurricanes.

I went trout fishing once. Fly fishing. I nearly put the eye out of the guy standing behind me with my fly, and then I fell over and my waders filled with water and I had to be rescued, and that's why I only went once.

My companion however caught a fish the size of Moby Dick later that night--it's now stuffed and mounted and takes up most of his office.

I guess that's better than the guy almost putting your eye out with his fly. :P

...oops, wrong thread. :bagoverhead:

Goddamn, Del! We're damn near neighbors up there..

I do most of my favorite trout fishing on the west side of Sonora Pass. The Clark Fork of the Stanislaus, the Emigrant Wilderness, and so on. I was raised up there, more or less.

Of course the Metolius River up here has some huge bull and rainbow trout. It's all catch and release on that river, but I have a camera, and a backup place to catch some dinner.

Man, the trout back in the Emigrant Wilderness. It's a challenge to get there, but the fishing and scenery combined are unbeatable.

I love the western slope too. It just takes a lot longer to get up to the higher lakes on the western side of the Sierras than on the easter side. From Owens Valley you can get up above the 9,000 foot level in less than an hour from U.S. 395 and then move down and over to another lake in a couple hours if you need to.

But how about Huntington lake and Lake Thomas Edison? I love that part of the mountains too.

Another reason I like the Owens Valley and Mono Basin area is because my son and I like to explore for old minining equiptment and artifacts. Have you ever been to the Bodie ghostown? It's a great diversion from fishing sometimes. But I'm sure you've been to Columbia, Jamestown and all along Hwy. 49 and all the old placer mininig camps around Sonora.

Not really about fishing, but all part of the experience in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Here are some photos of Bodie, California:

bodie-rusted-car.jpgbodie6.jpgbodie_bldg-380.jpgAOB2792.jpgBeautiful-Bodie.jpg

Never been to Bodie unfortunately, one of these days I'll get there though. I've spent a lot of time around Columbia and all those towns along 49 though.

I went out of the Shaver Lake area a couple times and fished the lake itself. Just caught a bunch of small smallmouth bass. Beautiful area, but too crowded.

The Sonora Pass area is my favorite in Cal.

stanislaus_river.jpg

I was born in San Francisco and my Mother used to take me down to the piers to fish. We would always go to Muni Pier or by Andy's Lookout (now Scoma's) where all the fishing boats tied up. I would just use a drop line and we'd get lots of rockfish and perch. What a blast to catch fish with a dropline. In the late 50's my brother Larry told us he had found a spot by the Ferry Building at the foot of Market St. and we all went there and fished on the old, delapidated ferry slips. The rockfish we caught there were HUGE!!! (5 lbs +). We also got pogeys, cabizone, ling cod, striped bass, flounders, eels, crabs, sea trout, etc. It was amazing for sure. The old slips are all gone now (progress, yeah right). I loved the smell of the creosote on the old piers and I ruined many a pair of pants getting it stuck to my bottom. :D We would also spearfish for the huge perch that would feed on the pilings. At night we would catch lots of leopard sharks and sting rays just for fun.

In the late 60's we would go to Monterey and rent a boat to fish by the rock wall that was close to the Coast Guard pier. The fishing there was unbelieveable. I hooked something one day that was so big it felt like a submarine and it broke my line after taking it out about 50 yards or so. It must have been a big ling cod I'm thinking. But we'd come home with a nice string of fish and I think rockfish is the best eating. :)

We also used to go to Sausalito right by the Trident restaurant and it was also a hot spot for rockfish and perch. One day I was there by myself and I had a nice string of perch and rockcod when I saw about 40 Japanese tourists coming toward me. When they saw me the one asked if I'd caught anything and when I pulled my stringer up to show them I felt like a movie star as everyone of them started taking my picture. I'm guessing most of them were fishermen over in Japan and I'm sure my pic is in some photo albums over there. :D

Since moving to Washington I've caught one 12 lb. king salmon just off the Columbia River but I don't fish here much as I miss the coast and rocks for fishing. I sure do miss those ferry slips.

:)

I used to fish off the docks at Sausalito years ago, we used to own a boat and keep it harbored there. Lots of rubberlips perch and big smelt.

I also used to fish off the rocks in Pacifica and Montara. Great perch fishing, occasionally you'd luck out and hang a nice striper. Of course we'd take the old boat out and catch our share of rockfish, cabezon and lings. And when the salmon were running it was a real blast. Caught my limit of 3 one day, the little one was 12 pounds.

Ahhhhh, those were the days....

Archived