Current music recommendations

Matthew!

Nice song did you also see them at that Hopscotch festival? Regardless with those previous bands you mentioned it sounds like a great music festival.

No, I didn't. I made the show they were playing (that included John Howie, Jr. & the Rosewood Bluff, American Aquarium and Lucero) but missed Max Indian. It was their last concert for a while as one of the members (Jeff Crawford) is moving to California. Most of the other members are going on as Nudehues. They played their debut show during Hopscotch as well but I didn't get there in time to see them.

On the broader subject of Hopscotch, check it:

Public Enemy, Broken Social Scene Lead Hopscotch Fest

No, I didn't. I made the show they were playing (that included John Howie, Jr. & the Rosewood Bluff, American Aquarium and Lucero) but missed Max Indian. It was their last concert for a while as one of the members (Jeff Crawford) is moving to California. Most of the other members are going on as Nudehues. They played their debut show during Hopscotch as well but I didn't get there in time to see them.

On the broader subject of Hopscotch, check it:

Public Enemy, Broken Social Scene Lead Hopscotch Fest

Quite a big contrast to the music scene here where I live. There is only one venue here called Zoeys that constantly brings in good music local and artists/bands from elsewhere but it’s mainly a venue for folk/country type stuff but for loud rock shows they are hard to come by. There aren’t really any all-ages venues here. Tomorrow there’s an all ages concert I’m going with Radio Moscow and two local bands playing and hopefully there’s a good turnout so that place can bring in more bands more frequently.

I have a couple of Public Enemy cds somewhere haven’t listened to them in a while but I like ‘em.

Not really a fan of ether of these two bands but if you like Blood Ceremony you might like Jex Thoth.

Thanks for the tip. It didn't really appeal to me though.. I think it's the organ, flute and heavy Sabbath influences that I like with Blood Ceremony. And the girl on vox is cool, she's not the greatest singer, but very 60's psych sounding..

Edited by Swede

Bad Dream from Brooklyn.

Metromix.com

Bad Dream don’t play the usual trio-out-of-Brooklyn fare that gets most of the press coverage these days; instead, they jam a heavy psych-blues-doom. Or, as they prefer to put it, “post-sludge, astral blues freak heaviness.” The stripped down lineup channels something like a stoned Black Keys on acid covering Black Sabbath through a standard guitar-bass-drums-vocals setup that pumps out a big, swampy racket. The group’s new four-track EP and solid MySpace cuts should prompt a cool label to sign them post-haste.

l_ec3b096df98e4f7f89912c31768dcf4e.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/baddreambrooklyn

For those of you into the heavier stuff, this may be right up your alley. These guys played last Sunday night as part of the Hopscotch Hangover party at Slim's in Raleigh. I was there but never ventured inside to check them out, I could hear them just fine from outside. To my ears it sounded like a murder occurring inside the club. That's not a slight, it's the sound the band aims to project (especially since they cite Charles Manson as an influence).

^^ Nice video and tune, Jahfin.

If you ever get a chance to see The Accountant, Chrystal, Randy and the Mob or the newly released That Evening Sun starring Hal Holbrook, I highly recommend all of them. With the exception of The Accountant all of them feature music by the Drive-By Truckers or Patterson Hood. In the case of That Evening Sun, Patterson penned a song just for the movie called "Depression Era".

^^ Cool, thanks, I had no clue Patterson and DBT had music featured in movies. I will have to check them out.

Patterson promises even more collaborations between himself and Ray McKinnon which is something I'm looking very forward to. There's even been hints of Patterson writing a screenplay himself, which is exactly how Southern Rock Opera began.

Well, I discovered these blokes while searching for 60s Garage Rock songs! Their music has this dream like quality and tends to put you in a trance! I swear! I ain't kidding! They sound like Pink Floyd in the first song!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I know they disbanded :angry: but they sure sound good! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_SRgvPKkYk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4wtmN8Wt3I&feature=related

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Bobby Bare, Jr. playing a cut from his new record, A Storm - A Tree - My Mother's Head. In 2008 a storm brought a tree down on the Bare family home, with Bobby Bare, Jr.'s Mom inside. Within a year, and after two broken vertebrae, his mother and the family home recovered and Bobby got a song out of the tragedy as well as the title of his new album.

Well, I discovered these blokes while searching for 60s Garage Rock songs! Their music has this dream like quality and tends to put you in a trance! I swear! I ain't kidding! They sound like Pink Floyd in the first song!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I know they disbanded :angry: but they sure sound good! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_SRgvPKkYk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4wtmN8Wt3I&feature=related

I absolutely love Dead Man, I even have their debut 7" single. Bummed that they didn't tour the west coast last year with Radio Moscow they only played dates in the east coast and that they broke up. They were great together.

More tunes by Radio Moscow which are just fuckin' brilliant!!!!!!!! B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBF3255Me4U

And this last one made me just fuckin' fall over!!! Oh man! :blink: Check this out : (starts out kinda slow and reminds me of the Wild West...very blues rock sound and then lo and behold! It just starts to explode!!!!! :D )

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87