Current music recommendations

Matthew!

What is current music?

Something that came out in the last month, year, decade? If you look at the big picture "current" could very well mean during the last century.

And just because something was put out recently doesn't mean it's "current music". It could be reworkings of old tunes or plainly unoriginal recycled music or new releases of pre-recorded songs from years ago.

What is truly new today? Would that be the correct definition or something that's got a copywrite of 2010 on it?

"Current" has about the same ambiguity of Classic Rock and what somebody considers current may be completely stating a misnomer.

Current in this threads means new. So, new music recommendations. There.

So when would the expiration date be? How long before the new gets put in the old bin?

You gave no practical answer at all. Try re-reading. Or better yet, email the OP and see what his definition is, it's his thread not yours.

If you don't know what the original poster meant by "current" here is the first post in this thread. if you can't figure it out by reading his post then I suggest sending a PM to Matthew for his explanation of what he meant by "Current Music Recommendations". The rest of us that have participated in this thread seem to have a thorough understanding of what he meant, it's really not that complicated.

Ok, I know this is a Zeppelin forum.

Problem is, I grew tired of the old stuff long ago. So I really only listen to new music now. I know a lot of classic rock fans think it's all crap, and if this is your path of thought, please don't post negativity everywhere. I'm always looking for new music, so I thought I'd share some, and maybe get some in return. :D

Sooooooo, new music recommendations? Indie, rock, metal, jazz, even rap and hip hop! Whatever the hell you want, whatever you think is good, post it!

My recommendations:

Stuff Zepheads might like -

Rock:

The Mars Volta, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, The Jai-Alai Savant, Portugal The Man

More indie-style:

The Bird And The Bee, The Parson Red Heads, Sondre Lerche (Dan in Real Life soundtrack, anyone?)

Stuff Zepheads will probably make disgusted faces at -

Hardcore metal, whatever other kinds of metal:

Misery Signals, The Fall of Troy, John Vs. The Machine, Norma Jean, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Circle Takes The Square, A Life Once Lost

Other:

The Dear Hunter, edIT

Post your own! :cheer:

Cool. I've seen The Strange Boys, nice Texan band. Pretty good.

Thanks for the head's up. It's gonna be a busy week with Earl Scruggs, the Black Crowes, Drivin' n' Cryin', Megafaun and the Drive-By Truckers all playing in the area.

Got turned onto a Swedish band during Hopscotch called Dungen. Have you heard of them?

Thanks for the head's up. It's gonna be a busy week with Earl Scruggs, the Black Crowes, Drivin' n' Cryin', Megafaun and the Drive-By Truckers all playing in the area.

Got turned onto a Swedish band during Hopscotch called Dungen. Have you heard of them?

Wow, sure sounds like a busy week!

Dungen's first record is great. I would also like to check out their new album, I think the video you posted actually are the titel track of the new album.

Here's one awesome song which needs to be heard! (courtesy of Swede who posted this song yesterday on the "Rate The Song Above You" thread)

The Soledad Brothers are one hell of a band! :wub:

Cool. The Soledad Brothers made four studio albums and one live album, all of which are great IMO. Unfortunately they broke up a couple of years ago, but Johnny Walker (guitarist and vocalist) formed a new band called Cut In The Hill Gang, which are great too.

I highly recomend checking out all their albums, but the first and last might be a good start:

From www.allmusic.com

Soledad Brothers / s/t (2000)

e20769zb24v.jpg

Guitarist/vocalist Johnny Walker presents a faux southern minister's drawl for much of the record, and while some of the tracks become repetitive ("Gospel According to John"), they are saved by Walker's Delta bluesman-derived style of fingerpicking between the bass and treble strings on his guitar. This helps to fill out the bass-less sound of the duo. Drummer Ben Swank keeps his playing straightforward for much of the record, adding fills only where they're needed ("Front St. Front," "Gimme Back My Wig"). Swank also knows where to add feeling and depth, such as on "The Weight of the World," where he only accents the first beat of every measure with his drums for the first half of the song until the tension builds and the full drum kit enters. Walker and Swank also manage to sound like a more threatening and haunting version of the "Play With Fire"-era Rolling Stones on tracks like "Mysterious Ways" and "Handle Song." This is a raw album that should be well liked by fans of the British Invasion and blues artists such as John Lee Hooker and Honeyboy Edwards.

Review by Stephen Howell

Soledad Brothers / The Hardest Walk (2006)

h24350y35wt.jpg

The Soledad Brothers' fifth album, The Hardest Walk, opens with "Truth or Consequences," a solid and gloriously raunchy slice of blues-shot rock & roll that recalls the Rolling Stones in their Sticky Fingers/Exile on Main St. glory days with its gutsy guitar lines and horn accents. But the Soledad Brothers don't seem to be channeling the sound of the Stones so much as their approach on The Hardest Walk. Like those abovementioned albums, The Hardest Walk isn't afraid to make with the rock, and with the band expanded to a quartet for these sessions with the addition of multi-instrumentalist Dechman, songs like "Crooked Crown" and "Good Feeling" are rich and full bodied without sounding cluttered or losing the spaces around the notes. But just as the Stones found as much hard groove and hard soul in their slow and quiet numbers as the rockers, the Soledad Brothers explore the sense of dynamics they discovered on 2003's Voice of Treason, and "Crying Out Loud (Tears of Joy)," "Let Me Down," "True to Zou Zou," and the title song are late-night numbers that add a potent atmosphere to the disc that straight-up guitar wail couldn't have brought them. The Soledad Brothers have obviously learned that their musical world does not begin and end with the messed-up blues-rock of their early days, and The Hardest Walk sounds like their most satisfying offering to date.

Review by Mark Deming

Edited by Swede