Current music recommendations

Matthew!

Some friends mentioned these guys to me several months ago but I never got a chance to see them until the Hopscotch Festival back in September. They were definitely one of my favorite new discoveries of that weekend. If so inclined, you can read a review of their debut album, Sunny Down Snuff, here. Below is a clip from their performance during the Troika Music Festival that was held in Durham, NC over this past weekend.

Edited by Jahfin

Big Sugar. Great Little Canadian Band. Not really new but they are always playing shows all over the place here in Canada and they are great live. The guitarist / vocalist even plays the Gibson double neck that Jimmy made legendary.

This is a good song. But you should see there other songs/vidoes for yourself

I think I saw some videos here already. But I love The Mars Volta. A lillte King Crimson, Rush, Pink Floyd, etc. thrown in a blender and you get great new music.

I love Mars Volta!!! In fact, is the "recent" band that i like the most. I love every album, even Octahedron that seemed to displease a lot of their fans for being "too slow". I posted some videos of them here, i`m glad that i found somebody else that likes them. They`re like an explosion!!! LOVE THEM!!!! :gimmefive:

Big Sugar. Great Little Canadian Band. Not really new but they are always playing shows all over the place here in Canada and they are great live. The guitarist / vocalist even plays the Gibson double neck that Jimmy made legendary.

This is a good song. But you should see there other songs/vidoes for yourself

Gordy Johnson has a band called Grady who are a bit of a three piece off shoot of Big Sugar. Thornley has done a few jams with the band. Unfortunately, not a lot of good stuff on Youtube to showcase them. They are on tour at the moment

Jahfin directed me to this thread to talk about new music. You guys like some interesting bands. Well here is one you might like that is about as far from Zeppelin as you can get. I fing them absolutely mesmerizing. The band is Nik Baertsch's Ronin (Ronin being the japanese term for a rogue, solitary samaurai). They are doing amazing things with polyrhythms and really take their time exploring a musical space. It's like MMW meets Steve Reich

I really like the idea of piano harmonics. Nik always seems to get his hands in there messing about with the strings. On an unrelated note--I don't know that I have ever seen a person look more like nosferatu. Anyway these guys seem to really be trying things that are outside the box. See what you think!

Cheers

Edited by Chap

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone has mentioned The Tallest Man on Earth yet I might have anyway he's really good. Bob Dylanish voice but still has his own style.

I believe I mentioned them earlier in the thread but to be honest, I haven't delved much further into their music other than a few clips I've watched on YouTube. I like him but just haven't sought out his record, yet.

Mandolin Orange

Very cool to see Mandolin Orange mentioned here. They first came to my attention a couple of years ago when I saw them playing the Songwriter's circle at Shakori Hills during the Grassroots Music Festival there that's put on bi-annually by Donna the Buffalo. They've since expanded to a full band that includes members of the Drughorse Collective whom I'm mentioned in other threads here before. I've yet to see the new lineup but am looking very forward to it.

If you like what you hear you can download Terry's entire album for free here.

Been hearing a lot of very favorable things about Grace Potter and the Nocturnals over the last couple of years but aside from a few songs here and there, I never really paid them much attention until their recent appearance on Letterman doing this tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BJFD1b8rHk

The King Khan & BBQ Show

Two guys who play dirty, raunchy, lo-fi garage rock. The song I posted is one of their best, but a fair warning, the lyrics (especially the chorus) are rather graphic and there is some language... but nothing we can't handle, right? ;)

Fang Island

(Ignore the basketball, it was the only video I could find that had the studio version)

I saw these guys as the opening act for The Black Keys and The Flaming Lips. 3 guitarists with one sometimes playing keyboard, a bassist and a drummer. In a nutshell, they're a combination of Trans Siberian Orchestra, inde pop and prog metal. A weird combination, but they're still awesome.

Edited by zosodude13

If you like what you hear you can download Terry's entire album for free here.

Been hearing a lot of very favorable things about Grace Potter and the Nocturnals over the last couple of years but aside from a few songs here and there, I never really paid them much attention until their recent appearance on Letterman doing this tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BJFD1b8rHk

Good to see someone here digs Grace Potter and her superb band :):)