Current music recommendations

Matthew!

I'd recommend Mastodon to anybody. They're sort of an extreme sludge metal band. That's a shitty description, I'll warrant. Anyways, the band is Troy Sanders (vocals/bass), Brent Hinds (vocals/lead guitar), Bill Kelliher (backing vocals/rhythm guitar), and Brann Dailor (occasional vocals/drums). Here's their stylistic evolution traced through studio albums.

1. Remission (2002).

Mastodonremission.jpg

Remission's good. Some killer riffs, and good balance between technicality and syncopation of material that isn't achieved by that many bands in extreme metal. Didn't much care for the practically indecipherable vocals though. Still, I'd give it 4/5, and I'd take it over most of the post-hardcore/metalcore type metal (to be fair, I haven't heard much of that). My biggest complaint is that the album comes off sounding rather repetitive. This album is the closest to the "extreme sludge metal" style I mentioned earlier. Dailor establishes himself here as a force to be reckoned with in a genre with increasingly technical drummers. The album is supposed to represent fire, but the concept is pretty loose (as far as I know, the elemental theme was conceived after the album was made). It's heavy though.

2. Leviathan (2004).

Mastodonleviathan.jpg

Just awesome. A concept album based on Moby-Dick, representing water. Same intuitive technical/syncopated feel, except it's more textural here. This is where I got into Mastodon. I did it because the cover looked cool. But the music is just as good.

3. Blood Mountain (2006).

Mastodon_-_Blood_Mountain.JPG

Continues the band's sonic evolution. This time the element is earth, and again, more textural playing. Leviathan and Blood Mountain alone rank as great achievements, but Mastodon wasn't/isn't finished making music.

4. Crack the Skye (2009).

61u1%2B%2BxzLrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is something I feel that somebody who's strictly into classic rock would like. Probably the least heavy album they've made (it has its moments) but it's also their best and most melodic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My husband and I just listened to Rival Sons ""Before the Fire" and The Stone Foxes "Bears and Bulls" on our way traveling from New Orleans to Meridian, Ms.

Rival Sons are really awesome!!!! Not a bad song on the album and definetly hear some Zep influence! I am looking forward to their 2nd album!!!

• 3 weeks later...

A friend inadvertently turned me onto this band when he asked me to pick up their single for him on Record Store Day.

From Merge Records:

Wild Flag is a Portland, Oregon- and Washington, DC-based quartet consisting of Carrie Brownstein, Rebecca Cole, Mary Timony, and Janet Weiss. The members of Wild Flag have played in numerous and notable bands including Sleater-Kinney, Helium, Quasi, The Minders, Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, and others. More info here.

A friend inadvertently turned me onto this band when he asked me to pick up their single for him on Record Store Day.

From Merge Records:

Wild Flag is a Portland, Oregon- and Washington, DC-based quartet consisting of Carrie Brownstein, Rebecca Cole, Mary Timony, and Janet Weiss. The members of Wild Flag have played in numerous and notable bands including Sleater-Kinney, Helium, Quasi, The Minders, Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, and others. More info here.

I bet none of the crappy artists of today's pop mainstream could EVER sing as good as this band :):):):)!!!!

Edited by spidersandsnakes

Kinda has a Chrissie Hynde sound to it, at least the lead singer does. But, boy, they did not harmonize well at all! Maybe just the sound quality from what looked to be a bicycle shop. I'll have to look them up to hear what they sound like in the studio. Thanks for sharing, Jahfin.

From Merge Records: