Current music recommendations

Matthew!

i was listening to wnyc today, soundcheck show, they had a segment of live music with the del mccoury band and preservation hall jazz band of new orleans, was really interesting. they blend bluegrass and jazz, they talked about it with john shafer and said they might call it mardi grass music. cool stuff. then they had chris thiely and michael daves a guitar and mandolin player who just made a record, sleep with one eye open, great great technical playing, relentless and over the top bluegrass playin. crazy actually. it can be heard on wnyc.org/soundcheck.

also wanted to reccomend this band i saw on this pbs music show, world music or woldwide music show. its called cumbria, a latin jazz, band was puerto candelaria. its sort of disjointed, quirky, but with a latin rhthym base and sort of ska horn sections goin on in the music too, its interesting.

i have to keep reccomending wnyc.org/sound check. yesterdays show, music movie on punk rock, dads in punk rock, punk rockers using the f word..fatherhood, or some such title. movie sounded interesting, with segaments from flea of rhcp and producers finding punk legends from black flag and other groups...on having kids.

today they had a segment on a music festival held in afghanistan, apparently in a basement of a building or something and it was interesting to hear the organizers observations of the people enjoying the music.

i have to keep reccomending wnyc.org/sound check. yesterdays show, music movie on punk rock, dads in punk rock, punk rockers using the f word..fatherhood, or some such title. movie sounded interesting, with segaments from flea of rhcp and producers finding punk legends from black flag and other groups...on having kids.

today they had a segment on a music festival held in afghanistan, apparently in a basement of a building or something and it was interesting to hear the organizers observations of the people enjoying the music.

I don't always get a chance to tune in but that is one of my favorite programs. If I miss it on XM's XMPR channel I still have the option of listening to the archived segments online.

I don't always get a chance to tune in but that is one of my favorite programs. If I miss it on XM's XMPR channel I still have the option of listening to the archived segments online.

yeah its a great show...everyday its got interesting stuff. they had a woman on ystrdy from guatamala who cam to ny and head a blues singer on the street and was inspired to implemnent blues into her music and she was just great. so if you can check out the archived stuff its great, cause its too much to keep up with. for me to be working and hear and enjoy stuff almost like i bought a cd and hear an interview of the artist and what its about....its awesome. because i know i will never be able to buy all the cds but its very cool to hear about it. plus they say there is always extra stuff on the arhcive that isnt on the actual radio shows.

• 3 weeks later...

Any good funk-rock songs\bands? and i dont mean RHCP (i dont like them that much).

The Alabama Shakes (formerly known as The Shakes) from Athens, Alabama. If you like what you hear below you can check out their entire debut EP here. They have a full length record in the works that should be ready for release sometime in 2012.

For LZ fans everywhere: Mazzy Star. All 3 albums released under that name. "She Hangs Brightly", "So Tonight That I Might See" & "Among My Swan". Hope Sandoval writes the lyrics & the music. she plays 6 & 12 string guitar & cello. and she sings. i guarantee that Led Zeppelin fans will appreciate it.

Edited by october51970

• 3 weeks later...

For LZ fans everywhere: Mazzy Star. All 3 albums released under that name. "She Hangs Brightly", "So Tonight That I Might See" & "Among My Swan". Hope Sandoval writes the lyrics & the music. she plays 6 & 12 string guitar & cello. and she sings. i guarantee that Led Zeppelin fans will appreciate it.

.....and, they have a new album due next year. As I posted in the 2012 thread, you can listen to a couple of tunes from it on their website here.

Lydia Loveless turned out to be one of my favorite new discoveries this year, this comes from her second album, Indestructible Machine: