Current music recommendations

Matthew!

I created an account here to post this. I usually just view the threads here. I think Zeppelin fans will enjoy this fantastic new band out of Alabama. Alabama Shakes..

Welcome to the forum. I've posted about them here several times myself. Their first full length album, Boys and Girls, is due in April. I first heard of them via the Drive-By Truckers. Even though their official hometown is Athens, GA, most of the Truckers are actually from the Muscle Shoals region of Alabama. The Truckers took the Alabama Shakes out on the road last year as their opening act, as did the North Mississippi Allstars. However, it wasn't until the North Mississippi Allstars passed through Raleigh back in November of 2011 with the Shakes in tow that I finally got to see what the fuss was all about firsthand. While their debut EP is the only thing that's officially out there at present, it doesn't really hold a candle to just how kick ass the Shakes are in concert. There's also their take on "How Many More Times" that is well worth a listen.

Welcome to the forum. I've posted about them here several times myself. Their first full length album, Boys and Girls, is due in April. I first heard of them via the Drive-By Truckers. Even though their official hometown is Athens, GA, most of the Truckers are actually from the Muscle Shoals region of Alabama. The Truckers took the Alabama Shakes out on the road last year as their opening act, as did the North Mississippi Allstars. However, it wasn't until the North Mississippi Allstars passed through Raleigh back in November of 2011 with the Shakes in tow that I finally got to see what the fuss was all about firsthand. While their debut EP is the only thing that's officially out there at present, it doesn't really hold a candle to just how kick ass the Shakes are in concert. There's also their take on "How Many More Times" that is well worth a listen.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been wanting to see them live due to all the hype. I think they'll take the world by storm with their official release. Otis would be so proud of Brittany

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been wanting to see them live due to all the hype. I think they'll take the world by storm with their official release. Otis would be so proud of Brittany

I'm not sure if they'll take the world by storm but they've certainly been pretty successful so far for a band that has little more to their credit than lots of good reviews and an EP (that's no longer available, btw). They've been selling out their own headlining shows and are booked for several festivals this summer as well as a taping of Austin City Limits. I'm sure the use of "Hold On" in that Zales commercial hasn't hurt them either.

I'm not sure if they'll take the world by storm but they've certainly been pretty successful so far for a band that has little more to their credit than lots of good reviews and an EP (that's no longer available, btw). They've been selling out their own headlining shows and are booked for several festivals this summer as well as a taping of Austin City Limits. I'm sure the use of "Hold On" in that Zales commercial hasn't hurt them either.

I haven't seen that commercial. I said that the wrong way. They may not explode into the mainstream, but I do think they will be fairly big. Like you said, they are gaining pretty big popularity without a full length album. They're also playing Bonnaroo if I'm not mistaken. They will gain a lot of fans there, IMO.

Edited by rendevouspoo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...