Current music recommendations

Matthew!

A while ago the bloke who came to do my yearly gas appliances check, noticed my guitars, and started playing, he was good. Anyway he gave me a CD of his band .....The Kid From Argentina.......I've just listened to it properly.... unfortunately... for the first time last night.....Fucking Crap.......Sorry mate.

Edited by joe (Liverpool)

A while ago the bloke who came to do my yearly gas appliances check, noticed my guitars, and started playing, he was good. Anyway he gave me a CD of his band .....The Kid From Argentina.......I've just listened to it properly.... unfortunately... for the first time last night.....Fucking Crap.......Sorry mate.

This thread is for current music recommendations, not albums you don't care for.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the debut album by these guys way back in 2000 but for whatever reason I never really paid them much attention after that. Perhaps because they only released one other album (as well as an EP) after that. This cut is from their new record, Tarnished Gold, which came out in late June on Subpop.

This Virginia-based band played at the second annual Hopscotch festival in Raleigh last year. I somehow managed to miss them then but caught them when they were back in town several months later to play the Local Beer/Local Band music series at Tir na nOg.

• 2 weeks later...

Got turned onto this band this past Saturday at Schoolkids Records in Raleigh when one of the clerks put their debut album Dub Egg on following Drivin' n' Cryin's in-store performance. The clip below is from an online web series called the Violitionist Sessions. If you like what you hear you can sample more clips at The Young's Tumblr site.

[good shit]. [found my next purchase]

Radio is still the dominant way people discover music

48% discover music most often through the radio

10% discover music most often through friends/relatives

7% discover music most often through YouTube

see Nielsen study: http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/press-room/2012/music-discovery-still-dominated-by-radio--says-nielsen-music-360.html

Radio is still the dominant way people discover music

48% discover music most often through the radio

10% discover music most often through friends/relatives

7% discover music most often through YouTube

see Nielsen study: http://www.nielsen.c...-music-360.html

That's somewhat reassuring since I still love listening to radio but to my ears, the majority of it out there is shit. That's where satellite services such as XM/Sirius, internet radio and college stations come in, at least for me. The mainstream corporate stations sound nearly identical to one another and are all programmed by computer software which has sucked the fucking life out of radio. I know there are exceptions but most casual listeners aren't going to go out of their way to seek out progressive stations such as KEXP in Seattle and similar stations as myself and others do. In all likelihood, the folks that were surveyed are all casual listeners that don't venture beyond their local Clear Channel controlled Top 40 station.

Sadly, this is what the control room of most radio stations look like these days. Notice the lack of a life announcer. That's because everything is pre-programmed through voice tracking (meaning the announcer records all of their breaks ahead of time). Hell, the DJ couldn't break the format even if they wanted to since everything is automated. That's just beyond fucked up.

zecom-studio2010.jpg

Edited by Jahfin