Current music recommendations

Matthew!

Meant to add this to my post re. Seth Lakeman above, this is quoted from the Amazon and BBC Reviews of his fourth album Poor Man's Heaven and why he's worth a listen if you love Zep:

When you're hot you're hot. With Poor Man's Heaven, the man who would be folkie cross-over king is certainly giving off a lot of heat. The instrumental palette may be largely the same as 2006's Freedom Fields but the reach is bigger and you can hear an ambitious stadium-sized appetite rattling around in the fusillades of up-front drumming which open the album. Such is the rock and reel quotient present, there are moments where you could imagine Jimmy Page and Robert Plant coming up with some of this stuff; the thundering pattern utilised on The Hurlers bears a passing resemblance to the flurry of energy sizzling between the guitar and drums of Led Zep's Four Sticks.

The title track though is the giveaway, a blatant and undeniably effective reminder that Led Zeppelin defined the heavy folk-rock crossover decades ago. Lakeman yelps like a West Country Robert Plant, sounding like a man with stadia in his sights.--Steve Jelbert

I've really taken to the blues in the last few years and found some really talented artists out there.

First off, Chris Duarte. He's been around since the early 90's and can really kick it out. His style is more blues/rock and is also really amazing in concert. Seen him over a dozen times so far and never disappoints.

Next, from the Louisiana Bayou, Sonny Landreth. Amazing guitarist. Not a better slide guitarist anywhere, and is also great in concert.

Lastly, Eric Gales. Started out at the age of 16, plays left handed guitar ala Hendrix, but has his own style.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Highly recommend this year's re-issue of 1995's Mad Season.

Surviving members of the band teamed up with notable Seattle musicians Mark Lanegan and Peter Buck to finish new songs on which the band was working during the mid nineties. Recommended if you are a fan of grunge music -which I'm not, I like the blues influence that permeates through the album.

• 3 weeks later...