Swan Lake

Sunset Rubdown

The Black Keys

The Black Lips

Grizzly Bear

Sparklehorse

Songs: Ohia

Spiritualized

And then there's a ton of others I can't quite remember at the moment. Those are all top bands in my book though.

Joanna Newsom.

I was recently turned onto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KckKq6tHJ2g. Samantha has a very unique voice that is often compared to Joanna Newsom's. Lately I find myself never being able to get enough of her first full length record (Songs In the Night) but I also don't want to play it too much so I don't get burned out on it. Her EP (The Confiscation) has also helped me get through some very troubled times in recent months. I love it when I stumble upon records like these which isn't nearly often enough.

Steve Earle..If there is a album anyone would care to recommend .

Yesterday someone was his stuff sounded quite good.

Many Thanks......

I think it's really hard to go wrong with most any of his albums but there is a bit of a discernable difference in the pre & post-prison eras of his music. I'm a fan of it all but find I tend to enjoy the post-prison stuff a good deal more. Strange thing is, a lot of folks seem to think he dropped off the planet after Copperhead Road while the truth is, he continues to make good music to this day. I think a lot of that has to do with Classic Rock radio not playing anything past that album. He also got off to a rough and rocky start with Country music radio which led to him being blacklisted.

Some of my recommendations:

Steve_Earle_Train_A_Comin.jpg

First album he released after he got out of prison. MTV Unplugged was all the rage at the time and this is sort of his answer (or more accurately, fuck you) to that. I think it's some of his very best work, especially the cover of Jimmy Cliff's Many Rivers To Cross with Emmylou Harris chiming in on harmony vocals.

iso-A4126%20-1220799043.jpg

One of the many things I adore about this record is it's diversity. There's everything here from bluegrass to punk rock and most everything in between. It also features some damn fine songwriting.

Edited by Jahfin

WOW, thanks!

Cool! Guy Blakeslee has an incredible mastering of the blues rock. He has done a good job at covering some blues legends like Skip James, Townes Van Zandt's Rex's Blues. and a reworking of Robert Johnson's Come On in My Kitchen. Music is blues with psychedelic textures and touches of folk. Four releases thus far and he/band are working on a new album. Very good L.A. band!

I think it's really hard to go wrong with most any of his albums but there is a bit of a discernable difference in the pre & post-prison eras of his music. I'm a fan of it all but find I tend to enjoy the post-prison stuff a good deal more. Strange thing is, a lot of folks seem to think he dropped off the planet after Copperhead Road while the truth is, he continues to make good music to this day. I think a lot of that has to do with Classic Rock radio not playing anything past that album. He also got off to a rough and rocky start with Country music radio which led to him being blacklisted.

First album he released after he got out of prison. MTV Unplugged was all the rage at the time and this is sort of his answer (or more accurately, fuck you) to that. I think it's some of his very best work, especially the cover of Jimmy Cliff's Many Rivers To Cross with Emmylou Harris chiming in on harmony vocals.

One of the many things I adore about this record is it's diversity. There's everything here from bluegrass to punk rock and most everything in between. It also features some damn fine songwriting.

Thank you for the heads up, will find those albums, Cecil

Jake Andrews has been around for awhile, but released his third album recently. I guess he played on stage with Albert King (I think) when he was 5 years old and has played with alot of big name blues players. He's got more of a rock-blues sound and has a pretty good voice. Anyways, check him out if you like maybe black crowes type music? (hes from Texas also).

(hes around 20 in this video I think)

http://www.myspace.com/jakeandrews

Edited by frankb

Wolfmother

Arctic Monkeys

The Libertines

The Fratellis

Muse

Babyshambles

The Kooks

oh my god finally someone else who knows who the kooks are...i havnt met anyone who knows about them and i never get to talk about them with my friends because they're very i sided when it comes to music...not that they listen to bad stuff (mostly classic rock) its just they wont except anyone else

I'm sure someone has mentioned it in this thread somewhere, but I was really impressed by the new Fireman album Electric Arguments

fireman.jpg

It blew me away that Paul McCartney was on this album and I didn't really know what to expect. But, its got a great range of styles, ranging from blues rock, to U2-esque pop, little but of tecnho/electronica and folk. It's a brilliant album, even if it runs a little long at 68 minutes. It's worth checking out and even if you don't like the whole album, there should be a song that gets your attention.

Edited by zosodude13

Thanks for the recomendations. I really have to get into some of Earl's stuff. I did borrow Copperhead Road from a friend sometime in the 90's, but I never was too impressed by it. I'll try some of these albums instead.

Thanks for the recomendations. I really have to get into some of Earl's stuff. I did borrow Copperhead Road from a friend sometime in the 90's, but I never was too impressed by it. I'll try some of these albums instead.

If you can catch a live show of his, I'd highly recommend it as well :)

If you can catch a live show of his, I'd highly recommend it as well :)

Thanks, yes that would definitely be great! I like his studio stuff enough to imagine his live shows would be great! :D

I really would like to recomend you to check out Lars Bygdén and his latest record called Family Feelings. His song CT-Scan is amazing I think.

Family Feelings has gotten fine reviews by critics and I really hope that people outside of Sweden discover this guys albums too, as they're really good! Anyone into Americana and singer/songwriter stuff will probably appreciate his music.

Lars Bygdén myspac

Also check out the songs on youtube taken from Family Feelings:

LB_CD_C%20(1).JPG

larsbygden_329.jpg

Dungen - A band from Sweden that would've done well in the Woodstock era. I can't understand a word they're saying, as the songs are not even in English, but the great psychedelic sound makes up for it!

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Their recordings sound like they were straight from the '60s! For this reason I thought they were some group from that era that just never got noticed. Hard to believe they actually formed in 1996. If you like '60s/'70s soul, give them a listen.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just have to recommend this fantastic Norwegian folk singer/songwriter Jens Carelius. He has released one album called "The First Songs", it's great and his next album is due out August 17. I think you will like him as much as I do. Good stuff.

To listen to some of his songs visit his myspace here

j_carelius_the_first_songs.jpg

He is also in these two bands.

Folk band Blues Run The Game.

Blues rock band The Guests.

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

I'm pretty sure I haven't posted in this thread yet which surprises me because I am always seeking out good new music in the broad church of 60-70s rock.

I particularly focus on great unsigned bands since there is such a lot of rubbish on the radio.

So I strongly recommend an unsigned band called "The Butterfly Experiment"

Myspace page

Facebook page

They are from NW England (Liverpool/Manchester area)

The sound is broadly Led Zeppelin in style but none of their individual songs are very Zeppy.

Listening to them live and on CD I am reminded of RATM, Pink Floyd, early Fleetwod Mac, Chilli Peppers, and the Beatles, in no particular order.

What is weird is the way they always make me think of Zeppelin overall.

I suppose its the variety of styles and the Les Paul through a Marshall and the fact that they usually finish off with a cover of Black Dog which they do very well.

I first saw them supporting us (Led Zep Too) and they went down a storm.

It was in Merseyside and they obviously had a great following, pulling in a big chunk of the audience, but it was obvious the hardcore Zep fans liked them as well.

I've been plugging them ever since.

m_0ec5860a81594a179eb3bdd36915a2d0.jpg

m_4689ee3ce7754d28a29d980bc0c14abe.jpg