Jimmy w/ Puff Daddy

Darth Zoso

To tell you the truth its surprising that we haven`t seen more of this, It makes ya wonder how many different artist have approached Zep over the years to cover more of their stuff.

I must be among the minority because I love "Come With Me" with Puff Daddy featuring JP.

If you listen to the track, the musical portion is pure Zeppelin, not compromised in the least. I think I read that is Bonzo's drum track on the song.

I happen to think Puffy brings an edge to the song.

I don't like the performance on SNL, but I do love the video and the audio track.

OK, I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked it. I find the drums (no offense Bonzo, I loves ya, RIP) are harder and the horns were different in a good way. When I hear the original studio Kashmir now... it sounds a bit dated to my ears. Yeah. I still like it, don't get me wrong...

ETA: OK, maybe it was still Bonzo remastered... ah hell, I dunno *crawls back under my rock again*

You either like it or you don't.

Personally I didn't mind it and I've read where Jimmy (obviously) & Robert were pleased with the treatment of Kashmir.

Wasn't Tom Morello involved in the production too?

Check these sites out.

http://www.cover-vs-original.com/song-23.html

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1390

I guess I didn't have any strong feelings about it either way, it was okay. But the mash up of WLL and Snoop Dogg's Drop It Like It's Hot ( that I just saw about a week ago) was very, very cool, IMO.

• 2 months later...

I loved it! I was a kid at the time (I think 14) and I was a big fan of Puff Daddy and only a slight fan of Led Zeppelin. I didn't even know that "Come With Me" had anything to do with Led Zeppelin at first. I bought the fucking soundtrack single! Then, years later, I heard Kashmir for the first time and it was really weird not hearing Puff Daddy and it took a long time for me to get used to the original version.

I'm a huge Led Zeppelin fan now though, they're my favorite band and I own all of their albums as well as their two dvd's. I loved them when I was a kid but only heard the songs my dad played off of the box set. I got early days and later days around 2000 and finally bought my first Led Zeppelin album (Led Zeppelin II) when I was 18, in 2002.

Jimmy agreed to this collaboration primarily for three reasons. First and foremost, for his

young son, who could then go to school and tell his school chums "that's my Dad". They don't know Led Zeppelin but they know Puff Daddy. Second, the technical challenge of

recording at CTS in London while Puff Daddy laid down vocals in Los Angeles. Third, to

cross-promote the Walking Into Clarksdale tour.

Kind of off topic but I was told by a Engineer who worked at Studio in the Country Bogalusa LA that Jimmy did some things in that studio .He told me as we were talking about the Puff Daddy Kashmir operation so I assumed thats what He was refering to.Let Me know if you find anything on this.I dont have a time frame it was october 1998 when He told Me that. I was there with some friends who were doing a session.

Kind of off topic but I was told by a Engineer who worked at Studio in the Country Bogalusa LA that Jimmy did some things in that studio. He told me as we were talking about the Puff Daddy Kashmir operation so I assumed thats what He was refering to.Let Me know if you find anything on this.I dont have a time frame it was october 1998 when He told Me that. I was there with some friends who were doing a session.

It's quite possible the string arrangements were done there, but Jimmy would not have been present. Here's the lowdown on Jimmy's involvement:

Jimmy took a phone call on Feb 12th 1998 asking if he'd be interested in collaborating with Puff Daddy. He called Puffy back later that evening and they discussed what he had in mind. Jimmy was intrigued by the idea of holding a studio session via satellite as

well as wanting to do something cool with his music that his son could relate too. He

agreed to do it.

Jimmy arrived at CTS Studios (located adjacent to Wembley Arena) on Feb 14th for the

session. He recorded the guitar track and granted an interview to MTV. Puffy was in Los Angeles but communicated via video conference monitor). (MTV's cameras filmed some of the session and clips were shown on a 30 min 'MTV Live' telecast which aired May 18th 1998 to coincide with promotion of the film's release).

Jimmy was taken to Pinewood Studios where he was filmed miming the guitar part. This

is the clip which is used in the promotional video for the song.

I suppose there is the possibility Jimmy may have done other session work at your friend's studio but I'm not aware of it.

the one thing i do apreciate is Puff Daddy wanting to do this ,makes other people into rap know about led zep.. and hopefully broadens their musical taste..and find out alot of rap tunes stem from old rock etc.....

I always thought it was a ballsy move by Page to do it. And, it's never a bad idea to expose your music to a new and different demographic of people.

They should also be given credit for the SNL performance, it was tight despite having only one day to rehearse together. The drummer kicked ass, and nobody fucked up,

even Jimmy was impressed with that.

I always thought it was a ballsy move by Page to do it. And, it's never a bad idea to expose your music to a new and different demographic of people.

They should also be given credit for the SNL performance, it was tight despite having only one day to rehearse together. The drummer kicked ass, and nobody fucked up,

even Jimmy was impressed with that.

i first heard about it from a tom morello interview in musician magazine. wasn't impressed with p.d. although i was a fan of the beasties and public enemy, at the time (i thought chuck d. could have done loads better). i was interested, though by page saying he dubbed on via satellite or something, and i knew my nieces and nephew would totally be into it. it didn't make me sick, let's put it that way. kashmir is an indestructible riff and even diddy didn't dud it.

the snl performance: saw it live in a bar and jimmy page's performance stopped all the pool games and idle chatter for 6 or so minutes. when it was over, i was proud of our boy and nobody around me dissed him, although poofy got tore up pretty bad (he had it comin'). the drummer did kick ass.

I'm on the fence with this one. I'm neither a fan of rap or P (whatever it is this month). And my first reaction seeing SNL was "Ahhh, noooo!". But I have taken into consideration some of the opinions voiced here, and I respect the points of view. But no, I won't be buying it. *puts on Stormcock*. I guess the time has come that I don't endorse something simply because Jimmy was involved. It's just not something I would listen to. But kudos to Jimmy for treading new roads. And I find the thing about doing it for his son touching.

Now where's that solo album Jimmy? Please try to get it out before the Toronto Zeppelin shows in August, or all the Zep reunion hype will spoil the release! ;)

It's quite possible the string arrangements were done there, but Jimmy would not have been present. Here's the lowdown on Jimmy's involvement:

Jimmy took a phone call on Feb 12th 1998 asking if he'd be interested in collaborating with Puff Daddy. He called Puffy back later that evening and they discussed what he had in mind. Jimmy was intrigued by the idea of holding a studio session via satellite as

well as wanting to do something cool with his music that his son could relate too. He

agreed to do it.

Jimmy arrived at CTS Studios (located adjacent to Wembley Arena) on Feb 14th for the

session. He recorded the guitar track and granted an interview to MTV. Puffy was in Los Angeles but communicated via video conference monitor). (MTV's cameras filmed some of the session and clips were shown on a 30 min 'MTV Live' telecast which aired May 18th 1998 to coincide with promotion of the film's release).

Jimmy was taken to Pinewood Studios where he was filmed miming the guitar part. This

is the clip which is used in the promotional video for the song.

I suppose there is the possibility Jimmy may have done other session work at your friend's studio but I'm not aware of it.

Quite a few Artist have worked there Kansas have done several of thier best lps there.Stevie Wonder,Leroux,Zebra,Frankie Beverly and Maze,Cinderella,The Neville Brothers,Clarence Gatemouth Brown etc.But I have been unable to get in touch with Him to verify will try when I get back on dry Land.

I guess I didn't have any strong feelings about it either way, it was okay. But the mash up of WLL and Snoop Dogg's Drop It Like It's Hot ( that I just saw about a week ago) was very, very cool, IMO.

I'm the mashup queen around here, and I have not heard this... where can I get it?

ETA: Try WLL with Break on Through... Breakthrough Love or something... very good.

Zeppelin is actually quite mashable.

I'm on the fence with this one. I'm neither a fan of rap or P (whatever it is this month). And my first reaction seeing SNL was "Ahhh, noooo!". But I have taken into consideration some of the opinions voiced here, and I respect the points of view. But no, I won't be buying it. *puts on Stormcock*. I guess the time has come that I don't endorse something simply because Jimmy was involved. It's just not something I would listen to. But kudos to Jimmy for treading new roads. And I find the thing about doing it for his son touching.

Now where's that solo album Jimmy? Please try to get it out before the Toronto Zeppelin shows in August, or all the Zep reunion hype will spoil the release! ;)

There's plenty of stuff Jimmy has done, outside Zeppelin, that I don't endorse.

Death Wish as a whole. for example.

But P Diddy's performance of "Kashmir" in his concerts, with the Zeppelin footage is a great tribute to all things Zeppelin, and something I appreciate much more thank fucking Sammmy Hagar and Van Hagar doing Rock'n'Roll, for example.

P Diddy's performance of "Kashmir" in his concerts, with the Zeppelin footage is a great tribute to all things Zeppelin, and something I appreciate much more thank fucking Sammmy Hagar and Van Hagar doing Rock'n'Roll, for example.

I think it would have been awesome had Jimmy joined Puff Daddy onstage at Wembley Arena in 1999 as originally planned (Puff Daddy had legal problems in the states which resulted in a cancellation of the gig).

• 3 years later...

I picked the single CD of "Come With Me" for .80¢ at Half Price Books.

I like the second track best, the "Radio Version II" at 4:48.

The first track is the "Extended Radio Edit" at 6:08.

The CD credits Jimmy Page and Tom Morello on Guitars

Bass: Tom Morello

Drums: Mario Winas

Published by Flames of Albion Music Inc.

I'm not in love with the whole Puff Daddy (Sean Combs) track, have you, but, I do appreciate the forcefulness of the "Kashmir" guitar riff.

That hearkens back to Led Zeppelin's treatment of "Kashmir", and what I remember from their live performances in 1977.

Just a balls to wall sound, with the guitar riff, over the top of it..... :)

BTY, the CD single Catalog Number is 34K 78954 on the Sony Label ©1998.

The UPC Code of the single is 0 9870-78954-2 5.

It's not horrible but it's far from good. I don't like the production on it. The melancohly breakdown of the sad sounding guitars before P.Diddy gives his laughable soliloquy "I close my eyes And I see You standing there I cry... Tears... Of sorrow.... I die... Uh-huh yeah!" lol, that is just GOD-AWFUL, there's no defending it. The rest of the song, I don't really feel one way about it or another, it's just sort of there, which in a way is almost as bad as if I hated it because it doesn't make me feel anything. Still it's not Page's worse collarboration, that honor goes to that truly awful performance of "Thank You" with Fred Durst & Wes Scantlin, that's when Page lost massive cool points for being in the company of backwards hat wearing mooks.

I didn't mind one way or the other when Page did this but the hip hop "lyrics" and Diddy's "vocal performance" were God awful bad. That's the world of hip hop though, even with Kashmir as the backing track it was horrible.

Yo uh huh..........God help me, seriously.

^It's not hip-hop, there are some truly great hip-hop lyricists from Chuck D to Rakim, it's that P. Diddy in all his incarnations is terrible. His lyrics wouldn't be any better if he were to write a folk song or any other musical form, it's Diddy himself who just sucks. Diddy's true talent was discovering people with actual musical talent like Mary J Blige, exploiting people with talent & credibility in hip-hop while riding their coat tails like Notorious B.I.G., & then marketing himself as some sort of rapper himself which he wasn't/isn't by any means. His overall talent is/was marketing a guy christened Sean Combs, that's all.

Archived