Jimmy w/ Puff Daddy

Darth Zoso

Why shouldn't Page collaborate with P-Diddy, Fred Durst, Cadillac, or whomever he chooses? It isn't like any of these collaborations can touch the original, and it isn't hurting Pages "legacy". Exposure is exposure. Personally I like it. It puts a new twist on a great song. But then again, I actually like Scream for Help and I despise anything Plant has done since 1980...so I seem to be the minority of the minority :lol:

Why shouldn't Page collaborate with P-Diddy, Fred Durst, Cadillac, or whomever he chooses? It isn't like any of these collaborations can touch the original, and it isn't hurting Pages "legacy". Exposure is exposure.

Well, that is a school of thought. By that logic they might as well have a Zeppelin rock band game, because that would expose them more to the kids, and then maybe, Zeppelin: the musical and while we're at it, let's just say "yes" to every director who wants to use Zeppelin music on the soundtrack to a film or in a T.V advert. As I say, leave that to Queen/Brian May...Zep could get heaps more "exposure" I respect Zep for saying "no" and not selling out.

In that context, even though, yes, Jimmy is not in Zep anymore and can do what thou wilt, I find it odd that he chose to collaborate with Puff Daddy and members of Limp Bizkit/Puddle of Mud, who, in my opinion, are awful musicians who should be nowhere near Jimmy, or a Zep tune.

Yeah, I didn't like the colab..I'm glad Jimmy hasn't done that kind of thing too much in his career, leave that to Brian May (who will pretty much colaborate with anybody, or so it seems)

I did find another "interesting" colaboration of Jimmy's, from around the same time period...

Interesting to see Wes and Fred are wearing in-ear monitors.... 'cos even with them they couldn't sing in tune if their lives depended on it. What a depressing collaboration.

Well, that is a school of thought. By that logic they might as well have a Zeppelin rock band game, because that would expose them more to the kids, and then maybe, Zeppelin: the musical and while we're at it, let's just say "yes" to every director who wants to use Zeppelin music on the soundtrack to a film or in a T.V advert. As I say, leave that to Queen/Brian May...Zep could get heaps more "exposure" I respect Zep for saying "no" and not selling out.

In that context, even though, yes, Jimmy is not in Zep anymore and can do what thou wilt, I find it odd that he chose to collaborate with Puff Daddy and members of Limp Bizkit/Puddle of Mud, who, in my opinion, are awful musicians who should be nowhere near Jimmy, or a Zep tune.

Maybe while Jimmy is collaborating with shitty artists he should let Eminem and Lil Wayne join in on the fun too. He should go talk to Gene Simmons and learn how to put his name on every damn thing on the planet. We need merchandise to go along with our Zeppelin musical.

Does Page choose whom he wants to collaborate with? There's a difference between selling out and working with someone to create music, regardless of what it is. He isn't letting people sample, or use his parts however they want. He is being part of the creation of the music, or adding his own thing on his own terms. Shitty musicians or not, I do not see the reason they shouldn't be anywhere near Page. They say that they are fans, and they are being respectful, that's enough for me.

What should that video shed some light on? That Jimmy wasn't the center of attention? In that video jimmy seemed to be happy to be a part of it towards the end. Was he being polite? Probably. It looks like he is out of place, but they did call him Rock God.

Why shouldn't Page collaborate with P-Diddy, Fred Durst, Cadillac, or whomever he chooses? It isn't like any of these collaborations can touch the original, and it isn't hurting Pages "legacy". Exposure is exposure. Personally I like it. It puts a new twist on a great song. But then again, I actually like Scream for Help and I despise anything Plant has done since 1980...so I seem to be the minority of the minority :lol:

I absolutely agree with you 100%.

I like the video and think it was a great move on Jimmy's part to agree to it. It probably took him back to his session days and gave his children something to be proud of. I searched for the SNL version but couldn't find it. Anyone have a link they can share?

It's quite possible the string arrangements were done there, but Jimmy would not have been present. Here's the lowdown on Jimmy's involvement: Jimmy took a phone call on Feb 12th 1998 asking if he'd be interested in collaborating with Puff Daddy. He called Puffy back later that evening and they discussed what he had in mind. Jimmy was intrigued by the idea of holding a studio session via satellite as well as wanting to do something cool with his music that his son could relate too. He agreed to do it. Jimmy arrived at CTS Studios (located adjacent to Wembley Arena) on Feb 14th for the session. He recorded the guitar track and granted an interview to MTV. Puffy was in Los Angeles but communicated via video conference monitor). (MTV's cameras filmed some of the session and clips were shown on a 30 min 'MTV Live' telecast which aired May 18th 1998 to coincide with promotion of the film's release). Jimmy was taken to Pinewood Studios where he was filmed miming the guitar part. This is the clip which is used in the promotional video for the song. I suppose there is the possibility Jimmy may have done other session work at your friend's studio but I'm not aware of it.

Steve, how in the world do you know these details? You sound like a personal assistant. ;)

JP should be actively encouraged to collaborate with anyone he likes. I would be eager to hear anything he came up with, regardless of who was involved. Gotta be better than doing nothing.

Wish I could say the same for Plant, but I can't. Since Rearranger, he has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous, IMO.

Totally agree with you Major on both parts!

JP should be actively encouraged to collaborate with anyone he likes. I would be eager to hear anything he came up with, regardless of who was involved.

Yeah, totally. I can't wait to hear what this collaboration sounds like!post-19994-0-09662800-1331059498.jpg

Yeah, totally. I can't wait to hear what this collaboration sounds like!post-19994-0-09662800-1331059498.jpg

He's good at the drums. And he sings well. Don't much care for the style of music though...

That collaboration would unleash quite a hell storm :lol:

Archived