What is your all time favorite Led Zeppelin song and why or what is your favorite memory pertaining to Led Zep?

Driving around my small hick country town, usually to and from the bottle shop (liquor store for those on the other side off the pacific), with the car full of my mates as we sang along to Whole Lotta Love - including singing along to the solo. Hahaha good times

There are way too many songs to pick from but I seem to levitate to "Since I've Been Loving You." I will never forget walking out of the Richfield Coliseum in Cleveland on January 24, 1975, through what were once plate glass windows. Apparently, there were some resilient fans who couldn't get in the legal way.

B)B)B)B)B)

When we were in the "circle," my friends would play Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd records well into the wee hours of the night. The Rain Song and Tangerine touches my heart every time I hear them because my first love shared the "circle" with me. Hence, our fate was sealed ever since. Just listen to the lyrics of Tangerine- it says it all.

-_-

The Rainsong.

It reminds me of my dad.

Sort of...

More or less reminds me of good times in the past.

Best memory?

When I turn the bass up as loud as possible on Dazed n Confused, and hold my hands to the speakers. I scream the lyrics at the top of my lungs!

It feels like you ARE the song.

My favorite is "Ten Years Gone". I love the guitar in it. It has such a heartbreaking feel to it. There's like, 17 guitar overdubs. And John Paul Jones plays a three-neck guitar in live performances. That's cool. It's beautiful song. Also, Over the Hills, Since I've Been Loving You, and Achilles Last Stand are really good, too.

Actually, make that The Rain Song for all time favorite... those are the lyrics of innocence and love, or part one of my relationship with him. Tangerine is really depressing, which is part two my relationship with him. Still, I love them both dearly. :rolleyes:

Mine would be All of my Love. It was the song chosen by the boy who I gave my virginity too.

If your wing is broken, Jimmy ain't gonna fix it at his age, now is he? Just joking- great quote from Rolling Stone magazine March 13th 1975. I have my original copy framed and hung on my wall- it's that important.

It's gotta be "The Rain Song".... 1973, probably the most amazing year of my youth, the first time I saw Zep here in Chicago.

Best memory? The faces of my friends from those heady days, the same bunch I still see and hang with after over 35 years. Priceless and irreplaceable memories of friends and the most beloved band in the history of rock. B)

i would have to say that i have 2 favourite songs really one being "stairway to heaven" because i love the lyrics. my other favourite would definatly be "heartbreaker" because of the fucking amazing guitar solo, that is one hellof a solo. JIMMY ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

It would be hard to name a fav, though Ten Years Gone and Since I've Been Loving You are right up at the top for the pure emotion of both. And my fav Zep memory is seeing Jimmy dance around like it was 1973 during The Song Remains the Same at the O2. It brought a tear to the eye.

Dazed and Confused would be my favorite mainly because I love the long jams they did with it. It was also the first song my band played in front of an audience in the 8th grade.

Haha, I'm in the eighth grade atm, and Dazed and Confused is my fave song by Zep, and guess what? I play guitar and I wanna perform it with my band!

We must be soulmates!

*sees you going <_< yeah right kid*

I have many, many favorite memories pertaining to Led Zeppelin concerts and Led Zep music. What probably stand out as some of the best are my memories of being able to stand close to the stage and the band at LZ concerts. So close that I could sense the aura radiated by the band members. So close that I was almost consumed by the energy emanating from the stage. Between the intensity of LZ on one side and the force of “The Ocean” on the other, I was left feeling woozy. Not only could I hear, but I could also feel “The Ocean’s roar” in those “Houses of the Holy.” I've never allowed myself to forget how very blessed I was to have been able to experience that.

I have many, many favorite memories pertaining to Led Zeppelin concerts and Led Zep music. What probably stand out as some of the best are my memories of being able to stand close to the stage and the band at LZ concerts. So close that I could sense the aura radiated by the band members. So close that I was almost consumed by the energy emanating from the stage. Between the intensity of LZ on one side and the force of “The Ocean” on the other, I was left feeling woozy. Not only could I hear, but I could also feel “The Ocean’s roar” in those “Houses of the Holy.” I've never allowed myself to forget how very blessed I was to have been able to experience that.

Exactly. This is why we're still talking Zeppelin. Those experiences are hard to relate with people unless you've seen the band. The energy of the crowds is as important to the experience as the music itself

I have many, many favorite memories pertaining to Led Zeppelin concerts and Led Zep music. What probably stand out as some of the best are my memories of being able to stand close to the stage and the band at LZ concerts. So close that I could sense the aura radiated by the band members. So close that I was almost consumed by the energy emanating from the stage. Between the intensity of LZ on one side and the force of "The Ocean" on the other, I was left feeling woozy. Not only could I hear, but I could also feel "The Ocean's roar" in those "Houses of the Holy." I've never allowed myself to forget how very blessed I was to have been able to experience that.

Exactly. This is why we're still talking Zeppelin. Those experiences are hard to relate with people unless you've seen the band. The energy of the crowds is as important to the experience as the music itself

I envy that feeling you both have. If only they could bottle up that feeling for those of us who weren't lucky enough to have experienced it first hand!

Well said. I think that Zep was often inspired by the crowds and the atmosphere they created and that's why each show LZ performed was different. Even on multiple nights, there was something unique about each show.

I think my favorite memory is Ally handing Robert Plant a spiked drink in Vancouver 1973.

The encores were scrubbed as they whisked Robert away to hospital. Ally also started a

riot at The Rolling Stones concert there the year before, which caused the Zeppelin gig

to be cancelled. He's mellowed over the years, but not much. I noticed Ally's going after Harold Ballard at the moment :)

:o My cover's been blown :D

I envy that feeling you both have. If only they could bottle up that feeling for those of us who weren't lucky enough to have experienced it first hand!

Sorry, I didn’t see your response yesterday, Sunray. It was a wonderful feeling. Although the crowds were massive, I never felt unsafe. At times, some of the kids got a little overzealous in their desire to get close to the stage but I never thought that anyone was there to cause trouble or hurt others.

What a great idea - it would be wonderful to bottle up that feeling. Hmm, I wonder if there is something about that in my old alchemy book....

In my life, I have been through some bad times and negative situations and I've also endured too many toxic, negative, and damaging people. When I am in those kinds of situations I draw upon the good things in my life to ground me and give me a feeling of peace. In order, those things are thoughts of: my husband and the great times we’ve had together, the birth of my children and the wonderful things we’ve done together, travels and adventures with my husband (and later my children), and my Zep concert experiences.

Sorry, I didn't see your response yesterday, Sunray. It was a wonderful feeling. Although the crowds were massive, I never felt unsafe. At times, some of the kids got a little overzealous in their desire to get close to the stage but I never thought that anyone was there to cause trouble or hurt others.

What a great idea - it would be wonderful to bottle up that feeling. Hmm, I wonder if there is something about that in my old alchemy book....

In my life, I have been through some bad times and negative situations and I've also endured too many toxic, negative, and damaging people. When I am in those kinds of situations I draw upon the good things in my life to ground me and give me a feeling of peace. In order, those things are thoughts of: my husband and the great times we've had together, the birth of my children and the wonderful things we've done together, travels and adventures with my husband (and later my children), and my Zep concert experiences.

That's beatiful, MSG... what wonderful, perfect things to remain grounded in. (Hey, can I borrow that alchemy book? ^_^ )

I never got to see Zeppelin in the 70s... in '73 I had to choose between two dates - the Grateful Dead playing at Kezar or Zeppelin playing at Kezar, and I had this misguided notion that being a Bay Area resident I should finally go see the Dead. I was bored out of my mind... and of course we all know about the Kezar show from Zep the following weekend. (I had tickets in hand for the '75 show in Oakland which was most sadly cancelled.)

While I can only imagine standing in that intersection between Zeppelin and the Ocean, which just had to be the pinnacle, I can say that being part of the crowd at numerous other shows in the '70s remains among my grounding, happy experiences, too. I'm sure audiences all over were amazing; still, in SF somehow everyone felt an obligation to be enthusiastic and hip, literally going back to and including the beatniks and hippies. We had a history to live up to, and pity the poor band that didn't "bring it." The ones that did were just awash in the ritual of band urged on by the audience and vice-versa, that remarkable exchange of energy.

It's still amazing to me to think about so many people, strangers, coming together, not particularly sober, knowing we would get all that energy flowing, peaceful most of the time (with very few exceptions). Corny as it sounds, there were some definite love ins going on, and it did elevate the music we witnessed. What a fantastic way to sublimate oneself in something larger, which personally I needed to do pretty badly at the time.

As you say, a true introduction to alchemy.

On topic... Favorite Zep songs... Stairway, Rain Song, No Quarter and D & C, all preferably live. The sheer musicality and spirituality involved in those are among my touchstones, too.

Favorite Zep related memories... coming to know some of the fantastic people on this board. :)

Archived