Who made Zep a Star, The UK or US

McSeven

Page has said in interviews that the Americans welcomed them with open arms and credits much of Zeps success to the US while the UK took some time to follow.

I believe they played the majority of their gigs in the USA also

That's very true. It works both ways though, it was the UK that made Jimi Hendrix a star when he couldn't even fill a phone booth in the USA.

Oh, and we also produced bands like Pink Floyd too.

Thanks for Kiss. We'll certainly rock and roll all night and party every day. ;)

Going to the topic of the "BIGGEST" band in the world. No point of contention, it's LED ZEP. They've transcended every generation. I still like the Beatles but you won't hear the same from a lot of some 20 some's who instead dig Led Zep even though they may've just heard about them since O2. It doesn't help that the band members are almost extinct with just 2 around. And that cirque d'soleil is really corny. We will never hear Led Zep in a circus show even if it's a good circus.

Back to question, no doubt USA made them. They weren't getting many audiences in UK prior to touring the US, where they were told by Peter Grant to give it their all, and were in turn quite surprised by the reaction. UK followed suit.

Going to the topic of the "BIGGEST" band in the world. No point of contention, it's LED ZEP. They've transcended every generation. I still like the Beatles but you won't hear the same from a lot of some 20 some's who instead dig Led Zep even though they may've just heard about them since O2. It doesn't help that the band members are almost extinct with just 2 around. And that cirque d'soleil is really corny. We will never hear Led Zep in a circus show even if it's a good circus.

Back to question, no doubt USA made them. They weren't getting many audiences in UK prior to touring the US, where they were told by Peter Grant to give it their all, and were in turn quite surprised by the reaction. UK followed suit.

It's where the money was at the time, not much point in series of tours in Lichtenstein. If you want to be a success you go where the audience and the cash is.

I think your doing it again...going overboard just to get a reaction? They had problems in the South and several of the 50 states never hosted a Led Zeppelin concert. Obviously,

their immediate success in America brought them fame and fortune. The UK, Japan and Europe weren't too far behind.

I see no comparison with The Beatles whatsoever. The Beatles cut their teeth in the clubs of Hamburg, Germany before returning to capture the hearts of their hometown.

They were also a singles band, at least initially and gained immediate fame in the US

through their appearance on a television program - The Ed Sullivan Show.

One theory to explain the craze of Beatlemania in the USA is that the country was reeling from the recent assassination of their idealistic, youthful President Kennedy

and was looking for an escape. The Beatles provided one.

Maybe I misunderstood you Steve. :unsure:

Maybe I misunderstood you Steve. :unsure:

Oh, if anything it's a minor point. I agree they found fame and fortune in America, but I

think it's going overboard to say all 50 states welcomed them with open arms. Several

states they never performed in and they were hassled in some of the Southern states.

No worries.

Oh, if anything it's a minor point. I agree they found fame and fortune in America, but I

think it's going overboard to say all 50 states welcomed them with open arms. Several

states they never performed in and they were hassled in some of the Southern states.

No worries.

That is true...the South was rough on them, with the exception of Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas in the early days.

They became good friends with the Allman Bros. which gave them big-time credibility in Southern states.

Atlanta, Tampa, New Orleans, Houston, and Dallas were good southern hosts for Zep from the beginning.

You're right Steve, all minor points. Zep can never be measured by any amount of fame anyway, anywhere.

The UK did of course. That's where they are all from.

But Led Zeppelin's popularity was huge in America and what made them big stars. They left England and Europe in 1968, and they had no idea what Zeppelin was doing. They came to America at the right time and America understood the music and took to it quickly. England caught up a little later. Being the 3rd or 4th best selling act in America tells you where they made it biggest.

I read an interview with Bonzo and he said "As soon as Jimmy played the first chord of 'Stairway' in the States, it was an instant bedlam."

Really? I didn't think 'Taurus' was that popular. All kidding aside, I doubt very much this

was the response at the first chord of an unfamiliar song on a yet to be released album.

Perhaps at the end of the song, sure.

Archived