What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

Which Jeff Beck album? His early stuff in particular is fantastic though I also really loved his last album.

I don't know actually. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go look. It's textured black and just says Jeff Beck on the cover in white.

On Friday I bought the D cover of ITTOD now I only need B and my 3 year quest will be over!

How do you like it? Nice cover. I gotta get that one too.

I like it well enough but like Easy Tiger, I get the feeling he's still playing it a bit safe. The vinyl edition comes with a 45 that includes two previously unreleased songs: Heavy Orange and Asteroid.

I'm declaring 2009, the hard rock year. Everything I buy will be hard freaking rock. Distortion, feedback, power chords, the whole enchilada. No more cry baby music, no more California rock, no more acoustic crap. Ya hear me!!

I'm with ya Jethro !!

I've had it awhile but I'm listening to "Flowers of Evil" by Mountain and there's no pussyrock on it at all !!

HARDCORE !!!!!!!!!

oddly enough, i bought the soundtrack from the film "The Painted Veil"....i love this movie. anyway, if you have seen it, you may remember that there is a song towards the end sung in French (I think), a duet between a woman and a child. I purchased the CD entirely for this one unique song, and of course, to my huge disappointment, the song is not on the CD.

does anyone know what i am talking about? if yes, have you any idea where i could get a recording of that song?

jahfin: what's the best of the three?

It'd be hard for me to say as I really don't think in terms of what is "best" when it comes to music. Plus, they're all three very different albums. The Gourds record is a mixture of country, soul, zydeco, rock, folk and bluegrass as most of their albums have been. This one is no huge departure from that but is very solid sounding so far. As far as Tinariwen is concerned, I'm only a few songs into their album and I'm not really sure how to explain their sound in words as it is very unique. All I can say is if you like "world" music (whatever that is) then they're probably up your alley. I'd seen them mentioned here as well as in an interview with Buddy Miller from the last issue of No Depression where he's explaining how he met Robert Plant and came to be a guitarist in the Raising Sand Revue. Besides Emmylou Harris (it was at one of her concerts where they first met) their only other common ground was being into Tinariwen. If you're interested in hearing what they sound like by all means go to their website and give them a listen. If you're even the least bit musically adventurous, I think you'll like what you hear. As for Zooropa, it's been years since I last heard it but to the best of my recollection it's perhaps U2's most experimental album. It was also on sale in the used section for $3.99 so I could hardly pass it up. I know that doesn't answer your question as to what's the "best" of the three but I honestly can't answer that. I like them all.

It'd be hard for me to say as I really don't think in terms of what is "best" when it comes to music. Plus, they're all three very different albums. The Gourds record is a mixture of country, soul, zydeco, rock, folk and bluegrass as most of their albums have been. This one is no huge departure from that but is very solid sounding so far. As far as Tinariwen is concerned, I'm only a few songs into their album and I'm not really sure how to explain their sound in words as it is very unique. All I can say is if you like "world" music (whatever that is) then they're probably up your alley. I'd seen them mentioned here as well as in an interview with Buddy Miller from the last issue of No Depression where he's explaining how he met Robert Plant and came to be a guitarist in the Raising Sand Revue. Besides Emmylou Harris (it was at one of her concerts where they first met) their only other common ground was being into Tinariwen. If you're interested in hearing what they sound like by all means go to their website and give them a listen. If you're even the least bit musically adventurous, I think you'll like what you hear. As for Zooropa, it's been years since I last heard it but to the best of my recollection it's perhaps U2's most experimental album. It was also on sale in the used section for $3.99 so I could hardly pass it up. I know that doesn't answer your question as to what's the "best" of the three but I honestly can't answer that. I like them all.

Tinariwen are amazing! Amassakoul l is my favorite of the three but the one you got is also great. I've seen them live a couple of times - it's too bad they don't seem to really tour the states too much.

Tinariwen are amazing! Amassakoul l is my favorite of the three but the one you got is also great. I've seen them live a couple of times - it's too bad they don't seem to really tour the states too much.

I already had my interest piqued on Tinariwen but when a musician friend mentioned them recently that was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as me finally making a purchase. She recommended either the new one or Amassakoul. The record store had both. I chose the new one for no particular reason. I'm sure I'll be picking up their other records soon enough.