Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jahfin

What's Your Latest Purchase?

How's the Graham Nash album? I've not heard it before.

Me neither. :D As I am still in Glasgow, where I did the purchases, I don't have a turntable available. I will have to wait until I am back home in Stockholm in June. But I bought it after reading some reviews about it and listened to some samples at allmusic.com, which give the album a rave review. Can't wait until I'm back home and can listen to all my records again!! :DB)

Edit to add:

Here's the review from allmusic.com, it can't be a bad record, can it?!

Songs for Beginners is Graham Nash's solo debut apart from Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Released in 1971, it is a collection of songs that reflect change, transition, and starting over. The set was recorded in both Los Angeles and San Francisco, in the immediate aftermath of Nash's traumatic breakup with Joni Mitchell. Unlike the colorful dynamism of Stephen Stills' eponymous debut recording, or the acid-drenched cosmic cowboy spaciness of David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name, Nash's album is by contrast a much more humble and direct offering. It is a true, mostly introspective songwriter's album full of beautifully performed and wonderfully recorded songs that reflect transition, movement, the desire to look backward and forward simultaneously. Like the aforementioned offering, this one is star-studded in its choice of players and singers: Crosby, Chris Ethridge, Jerry Garcia, Rita Coolidge, Clydie King, Venetta Fields, Dave Mason, Neil Young (under the pseudonym "Joe Yankee"), David Lindley, Bobby Keys, Phil Lesh, Dallas Taylor, and drummer John Barbata reflect some of the personnel on this heady yet humble session. The album is bookended by two of Nash's best-known tunes, the anthemic "Military Madness" that remains timeless in the 21st century, and "Chicago," that doesn't. That said, they are among the weakest songs here — which reveals what a solid collection it is. Unlike many recordings birthed from personal angst, Nash's engages in no self pity; instead, he focuses on the craft of songwriting itself. Despite its personal darkness, "Better Days," with its swirling piano and pronounced bassline, is also an actual paean to self-determination and perseverance, the logic being that there were better days in the past, so there must be better ones in the future as well. "I Used to Be a King," with Garcia on a gorgeous pedal steel and Lesh on bass, is a direct, mature response to "King Midas in Reverse," a song Nash wrote and recorded with the Hollies. "Simple Man," with its sparse melody and strings and a fine backing vocal from Coolidge, was written on the afternoon of the breakup with Mitchell. The violin-cello backdrop to Nash's piano is particularly effective and makes this one of his most memorable songs. The parlor room country waltz that commences "Man in the Mirror," features Garcia's steel, Young's piano, ex-Flying Burrito Brother Ethridge, and drummer Barbata; it shifts keys, tempo, and feel about a third of the way in with a very long bridge that transforms the song's sentiment as well. Ultimately, Songs for Beginners is the strongest of Nash's solo efforts (outside of his work with Crosby).

Edited by Swede

That's madness you have to wait until June to listen to all your vinyl purchases :o:D Well the review sounds intriguing. I love Crosby's "If I Could Only Remember My Name"!!! Talk about a who's who of guests on that album.

LOL I'll survive. Yeah, there are lots of great artists on that album, that's for sure. I'd like to purchase the first and second album from Crosby & Nash too, both of those albums is said to be real masterpieces. I haven't heard them myself though. :D

LOL I'll survive. Yeah, there are lots of great artists on that album, that's for sure. I'd like to purchase the first and second album from Crosby & Nash too, both of those albums is said to be real masterpieces. I haven't heard them myself though. :D

I've not heard those either. So many albums and not nearly enough cash :lol:

I've not heard those either. So many albums and not nearly enough cash :lol:

True. It's always a money problem.. :D

My latest 5 purchases

Shades of Deep Purple

Deep Purple Stormbringer remaster

The Police Certifiable

the Doors live at the matrix

Jethro tull Catfish rising & Roots to Branches

My latest 5 purchases

Shades of Deep Purple

Deep Purple Stormbringer remaster

The Police Certifiable

the Doors live at the matrix

Jethro tull Catfish rising & Roots to Branches

Just got Stormbringer remastered myself :D

One 45:

The Pretty Things - Rosalyn / Big Boss Man (1964)

pthings.jpg

I've got that! (And their next one, Don't Bring Me down.) I won a miming contest to it at school, playing the part of Phil May. B) Well, it was an all-girls school.

I've got that! (And their next one, Don't Bring Me down.) I won a miming contest to it at school, playing the part of Phil May. B) Well, it was an all-girls school.

Wow, that's pretty cool! :D I've got Don't Bring Me Down too, both singles are great I think! The Pretty Things are GREAT, I love their music! They were a cool and mean looking bunch of rockers. B)

Entombed - Left Hand Path

(AWESOME bit of old school Swedish death)

Miles Davis - Nefertiti

Cynic - Traced In Air

Diabolical Masquerade - Nightwork

Vinyl: (All for a buck each) :D

Bruce Springsteen - The River

Journey - Evolution

Jackson Browne - Running On Empty

James Taylor - One Man Dog

Bob Seger - The Distance

Genesis - Wind & Wuthering

The Scorpions - World Wide Live

Cheap Trick - At Budokan

I also got a Robert Plant Now and Zen button.

Vinyl: (All for a buck each) :D

Bruce Springsteen - The River

Journey - Evolution

Jackson Browne - Running On Empty

James Taylor - One Man Dog

Bob Seger - The Distance

Genesis - Wind & Wuthering

The Scorpions - World Wide Live

Cheap Trick - At Budokan

I also got a Robert Plant Now and Zen button.

I remember buying alot of those albums

Nice to see people have passion for vinyl,seems especially prevalent among the younger music fans. I have slowly benn giving away my albums to those worthy(i.e those who show an ethusiam for the music and vinyl),although many look at me incredulously as if i have committed an act of sacrililege by giving away the vinyl

Edited by euro

I remember buying alot of those albums

.Nice to see people have passion for vinyl,seems espeicially prevalent among the younger music fans. I have slowly benn giving away my albums to those worthy(i.e those who show an ethusiam for the music and vinyl),although many look at me aincredulously as if i have committed an act of sacrililege by giving away the vinyl

I may only be 18 but I've been buying vinyl for the past five years. Nothing sounds as good as vinyl does. People can keep their downloads. You can't roll a joint on an Ipod. :D:D:DB)

The first two CDs in my list below are by Samantha Crain and the Midnight Shivers. A couple of friends had recently recommended their Songs of the Night CD to me so I picked it up just on the strength of those recommendations without hearing a note of it. I saw where they were scheduled to perform at the Shakori Hills Grassroots Festival Thursday and Friday but I wasn't able to make it on those days (I did go Saturday and Sunday though). Imagine my surprise when I saw they'ed be doing an in store at Schoolkids in Raleigh for Record Store Day.

Record Store Day finds:

517A54I6tkL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

61LUKP5oIGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

whiskeytown_product.jpg

dylan_bob~~_dreaminof_101b.jpg

417uLBHQGTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

...and a few freebies:

[No image available]

Various Artists Choice Cuts 2009 Record Store Day Sampler (vinyl)

[No image available]

Various Artists Record Store Day 2009 Edition (vinyl)

[No image available]

Various Artists Merge Records 2009 Promotional Sampler (CD)

Well, lately I've been ravin' about this single so I decided I had to get a copy of the original 45. I've already got the song on the Nuggets album, but, heck, I only DJ-ing with 45's so it's a must have!

eBay rules.

The Amboy Dukes - Baby Please Don't Go / Psalms Of Aftermath (1967)

1947.jpg

I also found this excellent soul 45:

Joe Simon - No Sad Songs / Come And Get It (1968)

sss2602.jpg

Check out No Sad Songs

Edited by Swede

Some good finds Jahfin. How are the Samantha Crain cds? I've not heard of her.

I haven't actually had a chance to listen to either of them yet but I did enjoy her in-store performance at Schoolkids in Raleigh on Saturday as part of their Record Store Day celebration. After receiving those recommendations from friends I was looking at my issue of No Depression's first bookazine and noticed there was an article in there on her on the very first page. Funny how that sort of stuff happens.

If you're interested, you can find her website here and sample some of her tunes via her MySpace site here. There's also some clips of her performing up on YouTube.

I haven't actually had a chance to listen to either of them yet but I did enjoy her in-store performance at Schoolkids in Raleigh on Saturday as part of their Record Store Day celebration. After receiving those recommendations from friends I was looking at my issue of No Depression's first bookazine and noticed there was an article in there on her on the very first page. Funny how that sort of stuff happens.

If you're interested, you can find her website here and sample some of her tunes via her MySpace site here. There's also some clips of her performing up on YouTube.

Cool - thanks for the links. Her voice reminds me a bit of someone, but I can't put my finger on it. I liked what I heard though. It is funny when you discover someone and suddenly there are all these links to them. I've had that happen.