What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

I did a great find yesterday. Copperhead was the band guitarist John Cipollina formed after leaving his old band, Quicksilver Messenger Service in 1972. They only recorded one album and it has become a real obscure gem. I can't even find any of the songs on youtube(!). :D

Here's what allmusic.com has got on the album:

Copperhead - Copperhead (1973)

e86272tlfau.jpg

Two and a half years after exiting Quicksilver Messenger Service, of which he had been the primary instrumentalist, lead guitar player John Cipollina resurfaced at the front of a new rock quartet, Copperhead. The group had come together slowly, but by the time of their debut album, they were ready for action. Second guitarist Gary Philippet contributed the more straight-ahead rockers, like leadoff track and first single "Roller Derby Star," while bass player Jim McPherson tended to write more discursive numbers, though he was capable of strong rock & roll shuffles such as the Rolling Stones-like "Wing-Dang-Doo." But both players took a back seat to Cipollina, whose distinctively high-pitched, slightly dissonant lead guitar work defined the band's sound, just as it had in Quicksilver. One should perhaps amend that to say "early Quicksilver"; Copperhead recalled the earlier band's heyday of the late '60s on their own self-titled debut and the gold-selling Happy Trails more than the early-'70s edition of the group, especially on the extended instrumental passages in songs like "Pawnshop Man" and "They're Making a Monster." By rights, then, Copperhead should have taken off to become one of the major second-generation San Francisco rock bands of the '70s, but it was not to be. In the wake of Columbia Records president Clive Davis' firing shortly after this album's release, his signings were given the company's lowest priority, and few people ever found out there was a band and an album called Copperhead. The 2001 CD reissue on the British Acadia label adds the non-LP B-side of the "Roller Derby Star" single, another good Philippet mid-tempo rocker called "Chameleon." Copperhead also recorded an entire second album for Columbia that the label never released, leaving these recordings and a hard-to-find live LP as the only evidence of their existence.

I can highly recomed this album! It should be available on CD according to the above review.

I bought myself a couple of classic LP's:

Procol Harum - Shine On Brightly (1968)

e14798eusx4.jpg

Joel Scott Hill/Chris Ethridge/John Barbata - L.A. Getaway (1971)

With Clarence White among others!

g25577bif16.jpg

Eric Clapton - Eric Clapton (1970)

f60256zr6cw.jpg

I'll be picking that up shortly. How is it?

I'm only one listen in but so far, so good. I wasn't exactly taken with a couple of the slower songs but I think in time they will grow on me. My very first impression is that the album has a very "South of the Border" feel thanks in no small part to David Hidalgo's accordion work. As for where it fits in with Dylan's other more recent albums (Love & Theft thru Modern Times), that's going to take several more spins.

I'm only one listen in but so far, so good. I wasn't exactly taken with a couple of the slower songs but I think in time they will grow on me. My very first impression is that the album has a very "South of the Border" feel thanks in no small part to David Hidalgo's accordion work. As for where it fits in with Dylan's other more recent albums (Love & Theft thru Modern Times), that's going to take several more spins.

I've only heard a couple of tracks which I liked. I need to pick this up.

Great albums, both of 'em!!

Yeah, they really are! The former from yesterday the latter from today. How's Witchcraft's second album Firewood if you have it? I also bought fellow Graveyard's debut lp from what I've heard thus far, its really good.

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

New Riders Of The Purple Sage - The Best Of.. (1976)

f35032tpcmi.jpg

I've never heard of these guys, but that is the raddest band name I've ever heard, and I love that t-shirt, so I'm now off to check them out! :lol: I don't usually listen to bands based on graphic design, but in this case, they got me.

I got: Steve Earle - Copperhead Road

Edited by Footsteps of Dawn

I've never heard of these guys, but that is the raddest band name I've ever heard, and I love that t-shirt, so I'm now off to check them out! :lol: I don't usually listen to bands based on graphic design, but in this case, they got me.

They're an offshoot of the Grateful Dead. Garcia and Mickey Hart were even official band members at one point but found they just didn't have the time outside of the Grateful Dead to devote to being in the New Riders so they only appear on the debut N.R.P.S. record. The band is still touring today albeit without original frontman John Dawnson (aka "Maraduke") who is apparently quite ill and unable to tour anymore. If you like the early "country rock" of the 70s such as the Flying Burrito Brothers, Pure Prairie League, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, etc., they should be right up your alley.

How are you liking this one? Some of their latter day records are a little spotty but this one captures them at their zenith.

I'm having it shipped to Sweden from the eBay seller in the states so I won't get my hands on it until next weekend when I go home to Sweden for a couple of days. I've heard some of the tracks though, which I really like. It will be great to listen to them all when I get home. I hate being part of my record collection, I don't understand how you can cope with being without yours, Jahfin!! :blink::D

Yeah, they really are! The former from yesterday the latter from today. How's Witchcraft's second album Firewood if you have it? I also bought fellow Graveyard's debut lp from what I've heard thus far, its really good.

I have heard the Firewood album and it sounds great, but I don't have it myself (yet). Many say it's their strongest album. Can't recall if I have listened to Graveyard, but I know them by name. I will have to check them out again.

BTW, how's this for a promo picture, shot for the Firewood album?? :D I haven't seen it since the release of Firewood and had to do a great search to find it on the net. Pretty sick and cool LOL.

968.jpg