What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

I'm always a bit hesitant to buy any of Buffett's early material on CD as I'm still holding out hope that he'll finally see fit to re-release remastered, expanded editions of them someday but at $5 in the budget rack at Wally World, I found this one impossible to resist:

131781b0c8a04ef6f73da110.L._AA300_.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

61%2BqJaDfVIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Believe it not, I have never owned the original Budokan record. This a CD/DVD combo of night one of the two nights they performed there. The original album was culled from both nights so my Budokan collection is still not complete.

I was working in my hometown yesterday which has a discount record shop (Fopp). So I wanted to get the new mega-package reissues of probably the finest first two albums any band has ever released. The first music I'll have paid for in, oh, maybe 3 years? (The last Muse album was the last thing I bought.) I knew I could get them on Amazon for about £10 each, but I thought Fopp would be cheaper. Wrong....£15 each.

I tried to haggle, asked if they'd do a price-match - no deal. Oh well, that's up to them, and this is why high street music retail is dying.

suede300.gif

mumfod.jpg

Love, love, LOVE these guys!

I have to say, the banjo solos flipping rock!

They catch a lot of flack for sounding so much like the Avett Brothers but since I wrote them (the Avetts) off initially as not my thing, that aspect of their sound has never really bothered me. Mumford and Sons were here on Wednesday and from all reports even the skeptics were blown away. I had hoped to attend but had to choose between them and The Decemberists (who are in town tonight).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another Borders is closing (as is the entire franchise) so that means some halfway decent deals are available if you know what to look for. For instance, a lot of their CDs go for around $18.99 so even at 30% off that's not really a very good deal. I found these at budget prices (and one at 50% off) so they were worth it.

61oFtW0dGTL._AA300_.jpg

61Dw76CpsJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

b8387220eca082d742094010.L._AA300_.jpg

alicecooper_muscleoflove2.jpg

A used copy of Alice Cooper's Muscle of Love on vinyl with all of the original packaging still intact. I bought this new back when it first came out in 1973 but for some reason I threw away the cardboard box it came packaged in and used the book cover that also came with it (silly me). That left me with a record sleeve and the album itself, neither of which have stood up too well over the years.

61eUbW7XgOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I remember catching some shit from a friend when I first bought this on vinyl back in '76. All because I told him I was tore between John Prine's Common Sense and Free-For-All. Despite my love and appreciation for all things Prine, all these years later I still think I made the right decision. Sometimes a body just needs to rock and to this day, I still don't own Common Sense (I need to fix that).

was at waldbaums supermarket ystday, waiting to cash in change at the coin machine...helped an older couple with the coin machine as they never used it before, and there was a rack of cheap cds...bought -warren zevon, excitable boy and -oasis, dont believe the truth for 5.99 each, thats good. so, went with an old record and a newer one 2005. oasis record is pretty good, good songs, recorded really well, diff vibes diff songs, zak starkey on drums, its sparing, held back and then rocks at certain times when needed. the cover band i see alot plays alot of warren zevon and ofcourse when -lawyers, guns and money always came on the radio, gotta blast that song loud. good song, great riff.

An album produced by Ian Gillan in 1972

Jerusalem+-+Front.jpg

This is the first album by Jerusalem, a band which excites me very much; they are rough, raw and doomy with their own strong identity. As they are young and a bit green, they don't follow many rules, so their material is almost crude - but still immensely powerful in content. I believe that, whenever possible, the work of writers and players in their formative stages should be recorded; before inhibition and self-consciousness set in, before fire and aggression die down, and while they are still absorbing influences and doing things which others might consider 'uncool'. Most important though, before they might develop that self-imposed rigidity which afflicts so many. I hope none of these things happen to Jerusalem, we'll have to wait and see, this album is just in case. I hope you like it as much as I do." - Ian Gillan

Jerusalem_-_Back.jpg