What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

I think so too. Sky Blue Sky is proof positive that Wilco don't need to be highly experimental every time out just to be worthy of notice. Sometimes all a body needs is some good ol' solid rock n' roll and I think they more than delivered that with this record.

Agreed. I don't see all the flack that SBS is getting, as I think it, in a way, it got Jeff Tweedy to come back to earth a little bit. While I liked some tracks off it, A Ghost Is Born was too experimental, lacking that perfect balance that Yankee Hotel Foxtort had.

SBS isn't really revolutionary or anything, but it's a solid record.

Agreed. I don't see all the flack that SBS is getting, as I think it, in a way, it got Jeff Tweedy to come back to earth a little bit. While I liked some tracks off it, A Ghost Is Born was too experimental, lacking that perfect balance that Yankee Hotel Foxtort had.

SBS isn't really revolutionary or anything, but it's a solid record.

I feel much the same way about Ryan Adams' Easy Tiger, which, according to some messageboards devoted to him, his hardcore fanbase hated but the critics loved. That's not to say Ryan has ever tried to be experimental in the manner of Wilco (at least not on record) but quite a few of his albums have been more than a little uneven in the past. With Easy Tiger he showed he could turn in a well balanced, even keeled record, something his harshest critics thought he would never be capable of.

I did a few finds today when I went to a local record store. I've seen Jahfin mention The Long Ryders several times, and now when I stumbled upon them I had to check 'em out. Good Stuff!

All vinyls:

The Long Ryders - 10-5-60

lr10560b.jpg

The Long Ryders - Native Sons

i38804wqal4.jpg

Kaleidoscope - Side Trips (classic psych/folk album with David Lindley. This is a re-release by Edsel, the original album is very rare)

d84022lqdr4.jpg

Tom Verlaine - s/t (fantastic debut!)

f61205lir15.jpg

Richard Lloyd - Alchemy (another ex-Television member's debut, great album)

f61208n3u6o.jpg

From all the vinyl I've seen you've purchased, I'm pretty damn jealous.

I would start a vinyl collection of my own, seeing as they're just flat-out cooler than CD's, but I don't own a player and the only convenient form for me is through CD. :(

I may start getting vinyl of some of my favorite albums though, even if I already have them on CD. :)

It's funny to see the vinyl thing happen in reverse. Over the years I've tried not to duplicate my vinyl collection on CD but in the case of some of my favorite artists it was damn near unavoidable. To this day I still purchase new and used vinyl even though my record player has been in storage since the late 90s. One day we shall be reunited.

Great finds there. The Long Ryders are far too often overlooked even though they're pioneers of the alt.country movement (even though they were called "cowpunk" back then) and as a huge David Lindley enthusiast I've been meaning to get my hands on some Kaleidoscope records for quite some time now.

They had a couple of more Long Ryders LP's there, but I had to hold my horses a little, can't buy everything I see. :D These one's sounds great though, I like their blend of folk/country/rock.

You should absolutely get Side Trips and A Beacon From Mars by Kaleidoscope. I have not heard their third album, Incredible!, which is supposed to be just as good as the former albums, but I will try to find that album too.

I've never found these... now I want 'em even more!

I don't know if you've tried eBay. I purchase a lot of vinyls on auction sites, though I prefer looking for records in actual shops. Luckily there are many good second hand record shops here in Stockholm, which is quita a big city (capital of Sweden).

From all the vinyl I've seen you've purchased, I'm pretty damn jealous.

I would start a vinyl collection of my own, seeing as they're just flat-out cooler than CD's, but I don't own a player and the only convenient form for me is through CD. :(

I may start getting vinyl of some of my favorite albums though, even if I already have them on CD. :)

I believe you can purchase a new turntable pretty cheap, or even find one at a flea market or a Second Hand Record shop. The biggest problem is that vinyl take a lot of space, lucky for me I have an understanding girlfriend. :D

I think so too. Sky Blue Sky is proof positive that Wilco don't need to be highly experimental every time out just to be worthy of notice. Sometimes all a body needs is some good ol' solid rock n' roll and I think they more than delivered that with this record.

It plays very well as an album too, would even compare it to plant/krauss record the way it plays song to song, played both cds 3 or 4 times right through when i bought them.

I like the subtle music and then choosing to get loud at the right times, like in -shake it off...almost a pageish guitar part imo. Then on the next track there is a beatles influence, but done really well. really good songs!

I don't know if you've tried eBay. I purchase a lot of vinyls on auction sites, though I prefer looking for records in actual shops. Luckily there are many good second hand record shops here in Stockholm, which is quita a big city (capital of Sweden).

Ebay and Amazon are very, very last resorts for me. I don't like internet shopping... the wait, the shipping costs, annoying sellers who don't ship for a week or more. I want those albums but haven't wanted them enough so far to go online. I'll keep hunting in the local stores.

Ebay and Amazon are very, very last resorts for me. I don't like internet shopping... the wait, the shipping costs, annoying sellers who don't ship for a week or more. I want those albums but haven't wanted them enough so far to go online. I'll keep hunting in the local stores.

I can relate to that.. I haven't used Ebay myself, yet.. So far I have only purchased records on a Swedish auction site. I do think it's a great way to find records that are difficult to find in local stores, but sometimes people seem to pay insanely high prices to get a record, that's annoying.

There's a certain charm hunting records in local stores, that are lost with the internet too.

It shouldn't be a problem to find Lloyd's and Verlaine's records in local stores though. You'll find them eventually.

Also just purchased The Incredible Journey Of The Who DVD..excellent, highly recommended!

Isn't it Amazing Journey? In any case I recently saw it on VH1 and while I enjoyed it quite a bit myself since it tells the entire story of The Who, the viewer is never allowed the luxury of hearing a song from beginning to end throughout the entire movie. In that regard, The Kids Are Alright still gets my vote as the best Who doc ever made, then again I haven't seen all of them that are out there.

Isn't it Amazing Journey? In any case I recently saw it on VH1 and while I enjoyed it quite a bit myself since it tells the entire story of The Who, the viewer is never allowed the luxury of hearing a song from beginning to end throughout the entire movie. In that regard, The Kids Are Alright still gets my vote as the best Who doc ever made, then again I haven't seen all of them that are out there.

Yeah, sorry it's Amazing Journey...I was being distracted ;) What I like about it is the honesty/ laid bare approach which comes across in the interviews.

Hey Ms Honeydripper. Love Heart and the Who. But go read the thread about Yes not mentioning Bonzo the night they played on Sept 25th of 1980 and you may change your opinion of them. Very insensitive of those pricks.

I wonder how many other artists playing in the wake of Bonzo's death also didn't mention it? Should I also forever write them off as well? Maybe, just maybe they had their reasons for staying mum on the subject or perhaps they had no reasons at all. It's kinda like the poster that said they would never like The Clash again because of comments one of them made about Zep. Who cares what other musicians think of their peers, it's all boils down to my own personal opinion as to whether I like a particular artist or not. I could give a shit what others think, fellow musicians or otherwise. That sort of reasoning (or in this case, the lack thereof) boggles the mind.

Bought another four vinyls this weekend.

Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus

Unfortunatly this classic live album has been missed in my Little Feat collection far too long.

c5245552yl0.jpg

Uriah Heep - Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble

Their debut, a classic!

f08012pvten.jpg

Earnie K-Doe - Earnie K-Doe

This is an old compilation released in the late 60's/early 70's in the US. It contains songs like Mother In-Law, Tain't It The Truth and There's A Will There's A Way.

(no cover avalible)

Carlene Carter - Carlene Carter

Her debut. I have no idea why I bought it.. maybe because it was cheap. The cover looks like an ad for shampoo or something and the music sounds like a blend of british pub rock and country. I don't know yet what to think of this record, have to listen to it again.. :D

clover131.jpg

I'd put up a copy of the cover but can't figure out how to get it on here. My most recent purchase was

PURE CULT

THE SINGLES

1984-1995

My favorite tracks are on it are:

Fire Woman

Lil' Devil

Spiritwalker

The Witch

Rain

Edie (Ciao Baby)

Wild Flower

This CD rocksssss! :D:D