Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Jahfin

What's Your Latest Purchase?

I don't remember the soundtrack, but the movie is great!

Yeah, it's a brilliant movie. The soundtrack won an Oscar for best score B)

Yeah, I'm a big fan of him. I already had his two solo albums on CD, but when I saw them on vinyl, I knew I couldn't pass them up.

I got his thing G.P./Grievous Angel but...I want the Complete Reprise Sessions. But I do have some Flying Burrito Brothers too!

I got his thing G.P./Grievous Angel but...I want the Complete Reprise Sessions. But I do have some Flying Burrito Brothers too!

I have no Flying Burrito Brothers, but I've been wanting that to change for a while. Not exactly a household name, so their records are kind of hard to come by. :(

I have no Flying Burrito Brothers, but I've been wanting that to change for a while. Not exactly a household name, so their records are kind of hard to come by. :(

Well, there's two things I can recommend to you then.

I got this on my birthday (bought it, since nobody knows what I listen to) and it's excellent. It's at most Best Buys.

1098828.jpg

It's a live album of two nights and it's excellent.

Now for the studio stuff, I got this like...after Christmas at Best Buy and it's another excellent buy.

94022.jpg

It's pretty much both of their albums with Gram (The Gilded Palace of Sin and Burrito Deluxe) and about two or three unreleased tracks.

They are easy to find if you go to a well stocked Best Buy! :D

I picked up three excellent DVD's the other day:

The Hellacopters - Goodnight Cleveland (2002)

Goodnight_Cleveland.jpg

Rory Gallagher - Live at Montreux

63115-large.jpg

Led Zeppelin - DVD

DVD_cover_250x337.jpg

Well, there's two things I can recommend to you then.

I got this on my birthday (bought it, since nobody knows what I listen to) and it's excellent. It's at most Best Buys.

1098828.jpg

It's a live album of two nights and it's excellent.

Now for the studio stuff, I got this like...after Christmas at Best Buy and it's another excellent buy.

94022.jpg

It's pretty much both of their albums with Gram (The Gilded Palace of Sin and Burrito Deluxe) and about two or three unreleased tracks.

They are easy to find if you go to a well stocked Best Buy! :D

With all due respect, it's not like Best Buy is the only place to find Gram/Burrito Brothers stuff. I definitely understand them sometimes being the only game in town but whenever possible I try to support the indies. Not to mention Gram Parson and the Flying Burrito Brothers Archive, Vol. 1: Live at the Avalon Ballroom 1969 was released on Amoeba Records, one of the best (and biggest) record stores in the world. If interested, you can read more about it here.

Edited by Jahfin

Well, unfortunately, there isn't many good music stores around here, and even if there is, I only get to go there like 2 or 3 times a year because they are in the mall which is in another county. And of course, people could order them online, but then again, some of us don't have that ability....like me. But nonetheless, good buys.

Well, unfortunately, there isn't many good music stores around here, and even if there is, I only get to go there like 2 or 3 times a year because they are in the mall which is in another county. And of course, people could order them online, but then again, some of us don't have that ability....like me. But nonetheless, good buys.

Even though I find myself having to shop there sometimes one of the biggest problems with places like Best Buy (besides them helping to put indies out of business) is their complete lack of stock. Usually they only have greatest hits collections and not the deep back catalogs of artists you can find in actual record stores (and/or online). According to what I've been reading even Best Buy (as well as Circuit City and other "big box" stores) will soon be reducing their CD sections (if they haven't already) to make way for more DVDs and video games.

I bought myself the Forever 27 bar scene poster.

Even though I find myself having to shop there sometimes one of the biggest problems with places like Best Buy (besides them helping to put indies out of business) is their complete lack of stock. Usually they only have greatest hits collections and not the deep back catalogs of artists you can find in actual record stores (and/or online). According to what I've been reading even Best Buy (as well as Circuit City and other "big box" stores) will soon be reducing their CD sections (if they haven't already) to make way for more DVDs and video games.

Well, actually, the greatest hits thing is something I see at Target a lot. Best Buy can have good stock, you just have to go to the right one. The one in Fenton has somewhat good stock, but overall, it's shit. Now, the one in South County, it has a MASSIVE amount of cds, and there's lot more albums than greatest hits. It's all about the store you go to, I guess. Here's how I say it.

Target = Lots of greatest hits, lots of new stuff, barely any old stuff.

Wal-Mart = Mixed between old stuff and new stuff

Best Buy = Everything!

F.Y.I., and other mall stores = Everything + more! (which I would like to see around here)

In the end, I don't really care, I just want what I have my eyes set on.

In the end, I don't really care, I just want what I have my eyes set on.

Although I don't always have a lot of choice, I do try to be conscientious of where I spend my money since shopping at the big boxes does have an adverse effect on the struggling indie stores. In most cases the big box stores will not have what I'm looking for so I order through Schoolkids Records in Raleigh. This doesn't require a credit card and you're not even required to buy your selection once it arrives. As for Wal-Mart, I do have to shop there sometimes but largely avoid it, especially when it comes to music purchases since they sell censored product (that in most cases is unlabeled as such).

Yeah, I don't really buy uncensored albums, but if I'm gonna get 'em I'll get elsewhere.

Yeah, I don't really buy uncensored albums, but if I'm gonna get 'em I'll get elsewhere.

Not trying to give you a hard time but if you're buying "uncensored" albums, what's the point in getting them elsewhere? Did you mean "censored"? Thing is, if you're buying something at Wal-Mart you don't know what you're getting since they don't label it as being censored.

I meant to concur with you on the Best Buy thing as far as locale. In my area the stock is usually pretty low since it's a small town. Even in larger towns where they have more stock, I still see mostly greatest hits compilations and not an artists' entire catalog to chose from.

As for FYE, I almost never buy anything from them unless it's from their used selections since they very rarely have anything on sale. Most of the time when I'm in there the price is usually $17.98 and up.

I mostly buy online. I haven't bought much music recently, and when I have, it was mostly vinyl...which is usually easiest to find online.

When I buy in town, Best Buy is the first place I usually check, unless it's something obscure, or if I'm looking specifically for vinyl. My local indie store jacks up the prices too much for me to buy there all the time, and in the end, that's all I really care about. My money. Sure, it's nice to know I'm supporting the small guy, but I'm in college! Plus, the chick that runs the indie store is kind of a prick.

If I happen to be in there and see something I like though, I'll buy it if I have the money. :)

I'm going to jump in on the conversation, but I really like to shop at independent stores. The music store that I use the most is independent and the people really know their stuff. I only bought one or two things from FYE. I got a Jefferson Airplane album there, Somebody To Love, it's a live album on CD and I got TSRTS Collector's Edition with all the stuff inside. I went with a friend to a little "village" place and it was lined with little shops and I found all kinds of things. My favourite find from that trip was my Alice's Restaurant vinyl.

I guess it's different in every town but it's been my experience that prices are also low at indie stores especially if it's something that just came out that week and/or if it's a local artist. As for your clerk being a "prick", yeah, you may sometimes run into that at independent stores but in my opinion it beats the shit out of the "help" at the big box stores who have to look everything up on a computer to be able to assist you (that is, if you can even find someone to help you to start with). I remember once mentioning Keith Richards to a wet behind the ears cashier at a Circuit City who said they didn't know who Keith Richards was. I didn't hesitate to laugh in their fuckin' face. How in the hell do you get a job in the music department if you don't know who in the hell Keith Richards is?

The local store that we go to is sometimes a dollar or two more expensive on CDs but I don't mind paying that since they have better service. I can get all kind of vinyl and freebies too. When Mothership came out they gave me some stickers, pins, etc. I'm not big on the Rolling Stone but how can you not know who Keith Richards is?!

Another thing I forgot to mention about indie stores (at least the one closest to me) is that you can often find advance promos of CDs and/or used copies of CDs that just came out. The advances are usually only a dollar or so and are a good way of checking out an album to see if you like it. If I do, I'll go ahead and buy an actual copy of it. It's also a good point that the folks that work in indie stores are usually much more knowledgeable about the music than anyone you're likely to find in any of the big box chain stores who are usually totally fucking clueless at best.

I got a CD of Zep interviews and other radio things for $8 at one. I was really excited. I also hate when I go into chain stores and ask for something like Zeppelin, Janis, etc and the people ask if I'm buying it for my parents or talk to me like I'm stupid. Just because I'm a teenager does not mean I'm clueless. I went into one store and asked where Jefferson Airplane was and he the guy wanted to know why someone my age was looking for that.

Not trying to give you a hard time but if you're buying "uncensored" albums, what's the point in getting them elsewhere? Did you mean "censored"? Thing is, if you're buying something at Wal-Mart you don't know what you're getting since they don't label it as being censored.

I meant to concur with you on the Best Buy thing as far as locale. In my area the stock is usually pretty low since it's a small town. Even in larger towns where they have more stock, I still see mostly greatest hits compilations and not an artists' entire catalog to chose from.

As for FYE, I almost never buy anything from them unless it's from their used selections since they very rarely have anything on sale. Most of the time when I'm in there the price is usually $17.98 and up.

Yeah, I meant censored.

FYE reminds me of Barnes & Noble, good stuff, but high price.

I agree, Barnes and Noble is expensive. I went to Borders in Indianapolis recently and it wasn't as bad. Right now I'm into reading books about people. I just went to the local music store and ordered Somebody To Love?: The Rock N Roll Memiors of Grace Slick. I can't wait for it to come in.