What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

If you're used to shopping in the big box stores where folks are trained to ask you for help and that's what you're accustomed to, I wouldn't expect someone at an indie store to ask you for assistance. In fact, I can't think of an instance right off hand where one of them ever asked me for help. If I'm looking for something specific and I'm not there to just browse I ask the person behind the counter for help, I wouldn't ever expect them to ask me. Again, this isn't a big box. As for the store being empty, there's a very good reason for that, indies are going out of business at an alarming rate for a variety of reasons. I also don't know about the employees being "lazy" just because they don't ask if they can help you. In an indie store you have to be proactive and ask them for assistance.

I guess I'm used to people asking if I need help, sure, but I do think the people at my indie shop are not too awesome. Maybe it's just me, but they always come off as pompous whenever I'm in there.

Again, if you're looking for something specific you're better off to ask the clerk for help rather than sifting through an endless array of vinyl. Personally, I love browsing but if I'm in a hurry I either call ahead or ask for help as soon as I enter the store.

I'm pretty much never looking for something specific, especially when I go into the indie store. 90% of the time I buy music it's something I just happen to spot.

And personally...indie store or not, I expect music to be organized. That really puts me off. I like to check and see what they have by my favorite artists, but in their vinyl section, it's impossible for both me and the workers to make any sense of where anything would be. And I'm not going to pester a worker and make them find every artist I'm looking for. :rolleyes: If I did ask, I'm sure I'd get a "Oh, you'll just have to dig around a bit."

Anyways, whenever I am looking for something specific, it's something brand new. And whenever I buy something brand new, I almost always preorder/order online, and I'm fine with that. Just means this small guy in particular gets less of my business.

I guess I'm used to people asking if I need help, sure, but I do think the people at my indie shop are not too awesome. Maybe it's just me, but they always come off as pompous whenever I'm in there.

Not to generalize but quite a few clerks in indie stores come across as "pompous". In case you haven't seen it (or read the book by renown author Nick Hornby) I suggest checking out the movie High Infidelity which does an outstanding job of capturing the typical indie record store feel.

high_fidelity.jpg

419Q1KZ4VTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I'm pretty much never looking for something specific, especially when I go into the indie store. 90% of the time I buy music it's something I just happen to spot.

And personally...indie store or not, I expect music to be organized. That really puts me off. I like to check and see what they have by my favorite artists, but in their vinyl section, it's impossible for both me and the workers to make any sense of where anything would be. And I'm not going to pester a worker and make them find every artist I'm looking for. :rolleyes: If I did ask, I'm sure I'd get a "Oh, you'll just have to dig around a bit."

Anyways, whenever I am looking for something specific, it's something brand new. And whenever I buy something brand new, I almost always preorder/order online, and I'm fine with that. Just means this small guy in particular gets less of my business.

You need to get beyond the fact that record store clerks are going to ask you for help because in most instances that's simply not the case. Plus, you seem to be sending mixed signals. On the one hand you're complaining that they won't ask you for help, on the other you say, "I'm pretty much never looking for something specific, especially when I go into the indie store." So, why are you complaining? It sounds to me like you just aren't accustomed to the indie record store shopping experience and are more familiar with shopping in big box stores. Speaking just for myself, I much prefer the indie store shopping experience. I'll talk a pompous, yet knowledgeable clerk over a clueless fuck who has to look everything up on the computer any day of the week.

I do understand your dilemma about the organization of the vinyl section. Thankfully, the indie I usually shop at is organized but I'm sure that's not the case everywhere.

I beg to differ. I believe it was a very good time for music. Some people look back at the 70s and all they remember is disco. Some look back at the 80s and all they remember is what was on MTV. Neither are very good indicators of music from either time period. And, as much as I may enjoy watching them, I also blame those I Love the 70s/80s/90s shows that air on VH1, especially the one that featured commentators that said "the jocks in high school liked The Who, the stoners liked Zeppelin". Some people that simply don't know any better will watch some bullshit like that and take it as fact. Back to the 80s, it was a very vibrant time period for music with the popularity of New Wave (not all of it was the type of shit featured on MTV), reggae, roots heavy bands like some of the artists I previously mentioned such as Los Lobos, the Long Ryders, Lone Justice and many, many others. If you like psychedelic music you would probably also be interested in the Paisley Pop explosion that happened during this era with artists such as the Bangles, the 3 O'Clock, the Long Ryders and many, many other bands. Quite a few of these artists are featured on a very excellent collection from Rhino Records called Children of Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the Second Psychedelic Era - 1976-1996 (a sequel to the original Nuggets collection). If you're interested, you can read more about it here. Then there were the artists that are often credited with giving birth to the "alternative" movement such as R.E.M., the Replacements, the Cure, U2, etc. Many of them are well represented on yet another excellent Rhino collection called Left of the Dial: Dispatches from the 80s Underground. Again, if you're interested in learning more you can do so here.

In other words, if you think all there was to the 80s was a bunch of synth heavy bands with questionable hairstyles on MTV and hair metal, there was a hell of a lot more to the 80s than that. I would say it's second next to only the 60s for such a creative time in music history when nearly everything had a chance at some sort of airplay whether it be college radio, mainstream radio or music television (not just MTV). All this and I haven't even touched on the Hardcore scene (which is very well depicted in the American Hardcore DVD) and how Stevie Ray Vaughan pretty much single handily kick-started the blues revival. The 80s "not a good time for music"? Hardly....

I"m sure that there was good music from the 80s, I just haven't found it. My mom was a teenager in the 80s and likes Boy George, Culture Club, etc. M dad is a few years older than her so he listened more to hair bands and the heavier stuff. In between somewhere there is probably something I'd like. I do like Robert Plant's 80s stuff, some of it I admit if it weren't Robbert I probably wouldn't listen to it though.

I"m sure that there was good music from the 80s, I just haven't found it. My mom was a teenager in the 80s and likes Boy George, Culture Club, etc. M dad is a few years older than her so he listened more to hair bands and the heavier stuff. In between somewhere there is probably something I'd like. I do like Robert Plant's 80s stuff, some of it I admit if it weren't Robbert I probably wouldn't listen to it though.

If you check out some of the box sets I mentioned you're bound to find some stuff you like. I just think the 80s gets a bad rap (especially on this board where so many seem caught up in the music of the 60s and 70s). I like Plant's 80s output but like several artist of that time period, the production techniques (ie, the drum machine) are very telling of the time and immediately date the music. That said, there was also the "roots" music movement of the time period where those type of production techniques were eschewed in favor of more traditional methods. Again, there was so much more going on in the 80s than just New Wave and Hair Metal; I think there's something there for most everyone to love whether it be punk, reggae, roots rock, the blues revival, the Paisley Pop movement, etc.

I'll look into those sets; I'm always looking for new music to listen to. Some of Plant's stuff from the 80s is really dated but some of it is really good. One of my favourite songs by him is Ship Of Fools which came out in 88 I think. It's on Now and Zen, which also has Tall Cool One, imho opinion is the ultimate 80s song from Robert.

Not to generalize but quite a few clerks in indie stores come across as "pompous". In case you haven't seen it (or read the book by renown author Nick Hornby) I suggest checking out the movie High Infidelity which does an outstanding job of capturing the typical indie record store feel.

I'll try and check it out, thanks. :D

You need to get beyond the fact that record store clerks are going to ask you for help because in most instances that's simply not the case. Plus, you seem to be sending mixed signals. On the one hand you're complaining that they won't ask you for help, on the other you say, "I'm pretty much never looking for something specific, especially when I go into the indie store." So, why are you complaining? It sounds to me like you just aren't accustomed to the indie record store shopping experience and are more familiar with shopping in big box stores. Speaking just for myself, I much prefer the indie store shopping experience. I'll talk a pompous, yet knowledgeable clerk over a clueless fuck who has to look everything up on the computer any day of the week.

I agree with you completely. :lol: I grew up going into the big box stores; I've only ventured into our single indie store in the past year or so. So I am very used to the "big box" approach, and I'm not afraid to agree that that's probably my deal.

high_fidelity.jpg

419Q1KZ4VTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I love High Fidelity, both the book and the movie!

Sure, many of the clerks come across as pompous, but for the most time, as soon you got the conversation going they're ok. Unlike the big box stores, the clerks at the indies probably work there because they have a great interest in music and not because they are great at service the customers. I often find them to be just like me, an obsessed music lover. LOL

Pearl is amazingly GROOVY!!!! Half Moon is probably my favourite. I'm singin' it right down and danceing. My dad makes fun of me when I listen to it on my stereo because I really get into and start jumping and dancing around. But isn't that what she wanted the fans to do?

Pearl is amazingly GROOVY!!!! Half Moon is probably my favourite. I'm singin' it right down and danceing. My dad makes fun of me when I listen to it on my stereo because I really get into and start jumping and dancing around. But isn't that what she wanted the fans to do?

Yes! I love Half Moon :D

Absolutely what you should be doing when you listen to it! ahahahaha

I sadly don't get Jefferson Airplane. I listened to Surrealistic Pillow and I was unimpressed and was disappointed. I don't know why, I thought it would be better.

Haha, really? Well I wasn't too impressed with it either when I first listened to it, but it grew on me… 

^^ Another San Fransisco band that is worth checking out is Quicksilver Messenger Service. Not as famous as Jefferson Airplane, but just as great (or even better IMO). Their first album from 1968 is a masterpiece.

f84979ffor2.jpg

I was lucky to find this gem on vinyl the other day.

Diamond Head Lightning To The Nations.

The band is most famous for the influences they had on Metallica which has covered Diamond Head's Am I Evil and Helpless (both of 'em on this album) among other songs.

B00005LPVF.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

^^ Another San Fransisco band that is worth checking out is Quicksilver Messenger Service. Not as famous as Jefferson Airplane, but just as great (or even better IMO). Their first album from 1968 is a masterpiece.

f84979ffor2.jpg

Love QMS B)

I sadly don't get Jefferson Airplane. I listened to Surrealistic Pillow and I was unimpressed and was disappointed. I don't know why, I thought it would be better.

Haha, really? Well I wasn't too impressed with it either when I first listened to it, but it grew on me… 

When I got it I was expecting a bunch of head songs like White Rabbit that I could sing at the top of my lungs with my stereo turned up as high as my dad will let me have them. (Not that he's against loud music, but it can be disturbing to have pictures fall os walls, which I have done before.) I was disappointed but I listen to it all the time because after I got over that and really listened I loved it.

Just this morning I bought "Crown of Creation" by Jefferson Airplane

B0000A0DRZ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and other recent ones…

surrealistic_pillow_remast.jpg

CD_Concerto-Suite.jpg

Looks like you're on a psychedelic spree here!!! :):).......GOOD choice (apart from the last album....doesn't fit in! :))