What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

-big head tood and the monsters, all the love you need. this cd came with a dvd of the making of the record, which is cool to see. they have a new band member,a keyboard player, who -todd park mohr refers to as jonesy at one point. as mentioned in this dvd, they have been around for 20yrs, quite unbelievable as its something i wasnt aware of. its more of a record with popier songs, as they refer to in the dvd. i would reccomend this band to -led zeppelin fans, although i might start out with a record like -riviera.

-big head tood and the monsters, all the love you need. this cd came with a dvd of the making of the record, which is cool to see. they have a new band member,a keyboard player, who -todd park mohr refers to as jonesy at one point. as mentioned in this dvd, they have been around for 20yrs, quite unbelievable as its something i wasnt aware of. its more of a record with popier songs, as they refer to in the dvd. i would reccomend this band to -led zeppelin fans, although i might start out with a record like -riviera.

I haven't really followed Big Head Todd & the Monsters all that much in recent years but I do thoroughly enjoy the two records I have by them (Sister Sweetly and Strategem). They also kicked ass the couple of times I saw them in concert back in the 90s. The first time was during one of the first H.O.R.D.E. Festival tours, the second was a free show in Wilmington, NC with the Dave Matthews Band and the Boxing Ghandis. The DMB pretty much put me to sleep but Big Head Todd and the Monsters were great, especially their covers of Zep (Tangerine) and Cash (Folsom Prison Blues). Their originals are very good too.

I haven't really followed Big Head Todd & the Monsters all that much in recent years but I do thoroughly enjoy the two records I have by them (Sister Sweetly and Strategem). They also kicked ass the couple of times I saw them in concert back in the 90s. The first time was during one of the first H.O.R.D.E. Festival tours, the second was a free show in Wilmington, NC with the Dave Matthews Band and the Boxing Ghandis. The DMB pretty much put me to sleep but Big Head Todd and the Monsters were great, especially their covers of Zep (Tangerine) and Cash (Folsom Prison Blues). Their originals are very good too.

Yeah, that was interesting how they were around during the jam band thing and how that may have clumped them into that era back then. Actually i've never seen them live, was picked for some tics at their website a few yrs back after their last record, but couldnt make that show. I think they are a great band, -todd park mohr has some great lyrics and really great playing, but as they said in the dvd of this latest release, they just seem to keep getting better and its been a real slow building over the yrs. As far as i'm concerned this band should be as popular as the foo fighters. I do have two live dvds of them, so i kinda know how great they are in concert.

If you have -strategem, then dont buy the new one, buy -riviera first...then -crimes of passion, or the new one.

I think -john lee hooker made some comments about them, being in tune with music or something. Also, on this latest record there is a song that is real -bo diddley ish. There is a song on their last record, -conquistador, that is sick...such a heavy blues rock song.

When I got it I was expecting a bunch of head songs like White Rabbit that I could sing at the top of my lungs with my stereo turned up as high as my dad will let me have them. (Not that he's against loud music, but it can be disturbing to have pictures fall os walls, which I have done before.) I was disappointed but I listen to it all the time because after I got over that and really listened I loved it.

"Surrealistic Pillow" has a lot of mellow songs, and others are too short with minimal jamming - for this group. Try "Bless it's Pointed Little Head", a live album from 1968 Fillmore. Then crank "3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds".

I just got Steve Winwood's latest, "Nine Lives" - hope to check it out tonight.

I've had many a chance to get that. How is it?

It's just awesome. I didn't expect it to be this good. It was cheaper than most of the good DVDs from a music shop near me. But it turned out that it totally worths. It includes Crossroads, White Room, Layla, I shot the sheriff, Cocaine, Sunshine of your love and others. Phil Collins is on drums and I must say that he is pretty good. It also features 'In the air tonight' by Collins, who drums and sings at the same time.

The quality of both sound and image is very good as well.

I think I'm becoming a very big Eric fan, so I plan on buying more Clapton DVDs and CDs.

Edited by Xtazy

Electric Mud-Muddy waters, if you like Hendrix...get involved!!

CCR best of & Simon and Garfunkle best of

Latest Vinyls are Son House collection, godfather of the blues...any one going to see Honeyboy Edwards in london next week??

Electric Mud-Muddy waters, if you like Hendrix...get involved!!

Latest Vinyls are Son House collection, godfather of the blues

Nice purchases! Electric Mud is awesome. It got really bad reviews when it came out, but in time it has grown to a classic! Many of todays r'n'b and hip hop artists, such as The Roots, have been heavily influenced by that album.

...and you can NEVER go wrong with Son House, greatest blues there is.

A lot of vinyls:

Various Artists - Highs in the mid sixties, Volume 7, The Northwest

200px-Highs-07-cover.jpg

Various Artists - Highs in the mid sixties, Volume 9, Ohio

gil-743667.jpg

Various Artists - Highs in the mid sixties, Volume 11, Texas Pt.1

200px-Highs-11-cover.jpg

Various Artists - Highs in the mid sixties, Volume 13, Texas Pt.3

200px-Highs-13-cover.jpg

more vinyls:

Shadows of Knight - Gloria (1966)

f36681axjgg.jpg

The Ugly Ducklings - Somewhere Outside (1966)

uglyducklings_1.jpg

Bohemian Vendetta - s/t (1968)

1556.jpg

The Hellacopters - High Visibility - (2001) Limited 2-LP Edition

63627786_1.jpg

A couple of fine vinyls:

LP's

Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You (1970)

e73252kpf39.jpg

John Hartford - Aereo-Plain (1971)

c981196fr1x.jpg

J. Geils Band - The Morning After (1971)

c64184jjpx4.jpg

Singles

Deep Purple - Love Child / You Keep On Moving (1975)

Marvin Gaye - One More Heartache / When I Had Your Love (1966)