What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

I already had my interest piqued on Tinariwen but when a musician friend mentioned them recently that was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as me finally making a purchase. She recommended either the new one or Amassakoul. The record store had both. I chose the new one for no particular reason. I'm sure I'll be picking up their other records soon enough.

I would highly recommend it. Their first one is good too - also produced by Justin Adams.

Another group coming from a similar place musically (as well as location) is a group called Etran Finatawa. I have their first CD. It's pretty good but lacks a bit of the edge that Tinariwen have IMO.

The Small Faces ! Fantastic Band !

I got it because both my favorite SF songs are on it... ironically not the best known / most popular - The Autumn Stone and The Universal. "The Universal stalled at #16... It shattered Marriott's confidence. Disenchanted, he stopped writing songs and the Small Faces never issued another record in their lifetime..." (from the CD booklet, by John Reed) Ouch! I really love that song. Guess it was just way too different for the masses to appreciate at the time.

To each their own but I would suggest avoiding those Now compilations at all costs as it's the same shit that's currently clogging the airwaves. Believe me, there's much, much better comps out there, especially when it comes to "country" music. What passes for "country" on the radio these days is much closer to pop music.

Thanks! I've seen that company advertised on tv.

No problem! :)

To each their own but I would suggest avoiding those Now compilations at all costs as it's the same shit that's currently clogging the airwaves. Believe me, there's much, much better comps out there, especially when it comes to "country" music. What passes for "country" on the radio these days is much closer to pop music.

I understand what you are saying, I just happen to like the songs listed on these compilations. This is actually the first time I have bought some of the NOW compilations. Haven't been too interested in the other versions. Don't get me wrong, I like some old school country too. :)

Jimmy Reed-some greatest hits comp

History of Delta Blues-again a Rhino comp I bought because it had some Robert Nighthawk on it and I didn't feel like waiting for an order to show from an online retailer. Good blues cd's are scarce, even the good indie stores are usually lacking in blues stuff.

Jimmy Reed-some greatest hits comp

History of Delta Blues-again a Rhino comp I bought because it had some Robert Nighthawk on it and I didn't feel like waiting for an order to show from an online retailer. Good blues cd's are scarce, even the good indie stores are usually lacking in blues stuff.

Jimmy Reed's Boss Man is a good one.

Jimmy Reed's Boss Man is a good one.

Heck yeah, all of Jimmy's Vee-Jay era stuff is killer. Even songs that bands like the Stones and Yardbirds covered sound better in Jimmy's original version to my ears. If you've never heard his original of Honest I Do that the Stones covered it's a must hear tune and despite the Yardbirds taking his song I Ain't Got You and turning it into a showpiece for Clapton to burn on the original is a lot funkier. The sad thing is Jimmy was swindled by the folks at Vee-Jay. Many of those songs he wrote ended up being credited to his handlers and people that ran the company because he was ignorant and had no idea as to what he signed because he couldn't read or write.

Heck yeah, all of Jimmy's Vee-Jay era stuff is killer. Even songs that bands like the Stones and Yardbirds covered sound better in Jimmy's original version to my ears. If you've never heard his original of Honest I Do that the Stones covered it's a must hear tune and despite the Yardbirds taking his song I Ain't Got You and turning it into a showpiece for Clapton to burn on the original is a lot funkier. The sad thing is Jimmy was swindled by the folks at Vee-Jay. Many of those songs he wrote ended up being credited to his handlers and people that ran the company because he was ignorant and had no idea as to what he signed because he couldn't read or write.

I haven't and I will look into it! Thanks :)

Shame he got ripped off. Sadly many artists in his time fell into that category.

I understand what you are saying, I just happen to like the songs listed on these compilations. This is actually the first time I have bought some of the NOW compilations. Haven't been too interested in the other versions. Don't get me wrong, I like some old school country too. :)

As do I but I was referring to artists making country music these days that is more country than what gets played on the radio. This is ten years old now but it still features a lot of very good artists:

512P4Y8C4SL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Yay, I love Jimmy's stingin' guitar sound on Honest I Do! I've got a couple of Vee-Jay singles with Jimmy. He was great to say the least.

51RNE85TEWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51T8gKjZZLL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I usually pick up new albums by the Old 97s on the day of release but after being less than impressed by their last one, Drag It Up, I wasn't exactly in a hurry to buy their new one when it came out last year. When I saw the deluxe edition on sale along with a free promo copy of the greatest hits collection Hit By A Train through their website I decided to snatch them up.

After work I went on a shopping spree, in search of Kinks' 70's albums. I ended up finding one of the albums I was looking for, plus a couple of other LP's.

The Kinks - Sleepwalker (1977)

j08366e1pvt.jpg

Thin Lizzy - Johnny The Fox (1976)

The follow up to Jailbreak and just as great as it's predecessor.

f55507crhvi.jpg

Jerry Jeff Walker - Viva Terlingua (1973)

Cool live album recorded in Luckenbach, Texas.

f37425nfq14.jpg

Humble Pie - Rock On (1971)

Underrated album by an underrated band. Glyn Johns production, with Frampton and Marriott in their prime.

e30635bg9ta.jpg

The Runaways - Queens Of Noise (1977)

g12732w60jy.jpg

Edited for spelling

Edited by Swede

51AXWCCXFGL._SS500_.jpg

I remembered seeing this in a theatre coupled with Gimme Shelter. But I had forgotten how bad and bizarre it was. Thank Goodness I bought it used for a few dollars more than nothing. I think it may be impossible to sit through the whole feature without the finger on the fast forward button during the bookstore, model interview and black panther scenes.