What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

I guess I first heard of him via R.E.M. when Peter Buck would make fairly frequent guest appearances on his records back in the 80s. With most of the touring version of R.E.M. and the Minus Five as his backing band, the Venus 3 (Buck, Scott McCaughey and Bill Rieflin) I decided to check him out a couple of years ago and loved it. As the show went on I noticed more and more songs I was familiar with from the days of 120 Minutes and PostModern MTV. I still haven't picked up any of his older stuff but I can definitely call myself a Robyn Hitchcock fan these days.

Queen Elvis is a great album. I'd highly recommend it.

Latest purchases:

U2 - No Line On the Horizon

Deep Purple - Stormbringer, Come Taste the Band

Buddy and Julie Miller - Written in Chalk

Speck Mountain - Summer Above

Queen Elvis is a great album. I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. By the way, here's a link to some photos from last night's show plus photos from some previous Hitchcock appearances in the area (including my first ever Robyn concert from 2008 also at the Cradle).

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. By the way, here's a link to some photos from last night's show plus photos from some previous Hitchcock appearances in the area (including my first ever Robyn concert from 2008 also at the Cradle).

Great photos - did you take those?

How's the Graham Nash album? I've not heard it before.

Me neither. :D As I am still in Glasgow, where I did the purchases, I don't have a turntable available. I will have to wait until I am back home in Stockholm in June. But I bought it after reading some reviews about it and listened to some samples at allmusic.com, which give the album a rave review. Can't wait until I'm back home and can listen to all my records again!! :DB)

Edit to add:

Here's the review from allmusic.com, it can't be a bad record, can it?!

Songs for Beginners is Graham Nash's solo debut apart from Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Released in 1971, it is a collection of songs that reflect change, transition, and starting over. The set was recorded in both Los Angeles and San Francisco, in the immediate aftermath of Nash's traumatic breakup with Joni Mitchell. Unlike the colorful dynamism of Stephen Stills' eponymous debut recording, or the acid-drenched cosmic cowboy spaciness of David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name, Nash's album is by contrast a much more humble and direct offering. It is a true, mostly introspective songwriter's album full of beautifully performed and wonderfully recorded songs that reflect transition, movement, the desire to look backward and forward simultaneously. Like the aforementioned offering, this one is star-studded in its choice of players and singers: Crosby, Chris Ethridge, Jerry Garcia, Rita Coolidge, Clydie King, Venetta Fields, Dave Mason, Neil Young (under the pseudonym "Joe Yankee"), David Lindley, Bobby Keys, Phil Lesh, Dallas Taylor, and drummer John Barbata reflect some of the personnel on this heady yet humble session. The album is bookended by two of Nash's best-known tunes, the anthemic "Military Madness" that remains timeless in the 21st century, and "Chicago," that doesn't. That said, they are among the weakest songs here — which reveals what a solid collection it is. Unlike many recordings birthed from personal angst, Nash's engages in no self pity; instead, he focuses on the craft of songwriting itself. Despite its personal darkness, "Better Days," with its swirling piano and pronounced bassline, is also an actual paean to self-determination and perseverance, the logic being that there were better days in the past, so there must be better ones in the future as well. "I Used to Be a King," with Garcia on a gorgeous pedal steel and Lesh on bass, is a direct, mature response to "King Midas in Reverse," a song Nash wrote and recorded with the Hollies. "Simple Man," with its sparse melody and strings and a fine backing vocal from Coolidge, was written on the afternoon of the breakup with Mitchell. The violin-cello backdrop to Nash's piano is particularly effective and makes this one of his most memorable songs. The parlor room country waltz that commences "Man in the Mirror," features Garcia's steel, Young's piano, ex-Flying Burrito Brother Ethridge, and drummer Barbata; it shifts keys, tempo, and feel about a third of the way in with a very long bridge that transforms the song's sentiment as well. Ultimately, Songs for Beginners is the strongest of Nash's solo efforts (outside of his work with Crosby).

Edited by Swede

LOL I'll survive. Yeah, there are lots of great artists on that album, that's for sure. I'd like to purchase the first and second album from Crosby & Nash too, both of those albums is said to be real masterpieces. I haven't heard them myself though. :D

LOL I'll survive. Yeah, there are lots of great artists on that album, that's for sure. I'd like to purchase the first and second album from Crosby & Nash too, both of those albums is said to be real masterpieces. I haven't heard them myself though. :D

I've not heard those either. So many albums and not nearly enough cash :lol:

I've got that! (And their next one, Don't Bring Me down.) I won a miming contest to it at school, playing the part of Phil May. B) Well, it was an all-girls school.

Wow, that's pretty cool! :D I've got Don't Bring Me Down too, both singles are great I think! The Pretty Things are GREAT, I love their music! They were a cool and mean looking bunch of rockers. B)