Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Jahfin

What's Your Latest Purchase?

Like Big & Rich? If you do like your country with more of a rock edge I suggest checking out the Bottle Rockets (Robert Kearns from that band as well as Cry of Love will be filling in for Skynyrd's ailing bassist Ean Evans on their upcoming tour) as well as the Drive-By Truckers.

I do like Big & Rich...it's a guilty pleasure, but I won't deny that I get a kick out of their songs. Bottle Rockets, eh? I'll give them a listen, for sure! Thanks! Yeah, I need to get on the ball with the Truckers...I like what I've heard from them a lot, but I always forget about them when I go to the music store (I swear the second I walk in the door, I forget about everything I'd thought about getting). Which album would you recommend starting with? Southern Rock Opera?

I believe you said you picked up Steve Earle's Copperhead Road. Was it by any chance the newly released deluxe edition (see below)? If so, it includes a show recorded at the Pier in Raleigh many moons ago. By the way, he also has a new album coming out of Townes Van Zandt covers entitled Townes appropriately enough. He is going to be playing a very intimate show in nearby Carrboro for that tour in June. Amazingly enough there are still tix available.

207684943.jpg

Darn it, nope, I just got the regular version. Maybe that's why it was so cheap. :slapface: Wow, that album sounds really cool...I'll definitely have to give that a listen when it comes out. Townes Van Zandt writes some awesome songs - Pancho and Lefty was one of my favorite songs when I was a kid (and it still is!), and I'd love to hear Steve Earle's take on them. Have fun at the show - sounds like a good time!

I do like Big & Rich...it's a guilty pleasure, but I won't deny that I get a kick out of their songs. Bottle Rockets, eh? I'll give them a listen, for sure! Thanks! Yeah, I need to get on the ball with the Truckers...I like what I've heard from them a lot, but I always forget about them when I go to the music store (I swear the second I walk in the door, I forget about everything I'd thought about getting). Which album would you recommend starting with? Southern Rock Opera?

That's not a bad place to start but like their other early recordings (Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance) it's a little rough around the edges production-wise. Still, it's damn good stuff. For those that are new to the Truckers I usually recommend Decoration Day. It was recorded after Jason Isbell (who has since gone his own way) joined the band and is somewhat more accessible.

The Bottle Rockets are kickass as well. So many folks only seem to know 'em from Radar Gun but there's so much more to 'em than that.

Darn it, nope, I just got the regular version. Maybe that's why it was so cheap. :slapface: Wow, that album sounds really cool...I'll definitely have to give that a listen when it comes out. Townes Van Zandt writes some awesome songs - Pancho and Lefty was one of my favorite songs when I was a kid (and it still is!), and I'd love to hear Steve Earle's take on them. Have fun at the show - sounds like a good time!

I still haven't purchased a ticket yet, I just hope it's still not sold out. The last time I saw him (along with his wife Allison Moorer) it was also all acoustic, which I'm guessing this upcoming show will be given the nature of the Townes record as well as the size of the venue. I still don't own Copperhead Road on CD so hopefully when I take the plunge it'll be the deluxe edition. Sadly a lot of folks seem to think he dropped off the face of the earth after Copperhead Road but he didn't. Some of the records he's recorded since then are some of the very best of his career, at least to my ears. Especially El Corazon and Train A' Comin' (the first album he recorded after getting out of prison).

I haven't been on this board in quite a while. Anyone mention John Frusciante's new album "The Empyrean"? It came out the end of January and its a fucking masterpiece.

That's not a bad place to start but like their other early recordings (Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance) it's a little rough around the edges production-wise. Still, it's damn good stuff. For those that are new to the Truckers I usually recommend Decoration Day. It was recorded after Jason Isbell (who has since gone his own way) joined the band and is somewhat more accessible.

The Bottle Rockets are kickass as well. So many folks only seem to know 'em from Radar Gun but there's so much more to 'em than that.

Regarding Drive-By Truckers, my favourites are Decoration Day and The Dirty South, which has a great number of songs on them. I would also recomend their latest album Brighter Than Creation's Dark, which is an amazing set of songs as well. I have only heard clips of the earlier stuff, but what little I've heard it sounds great, and I will eventually get those albums myself too.

Another album that should be interesting for anyone into steel guitars and rock'n'roll, is New Seasons by The Sadies. They mix their country with everything between psychedelia to rock-a-billy. I assure you it's a great album!

I finally got my hands on an original pressing of Gilded Palace Of Sin with The Flying Burrito Brothers. I love this record!

The_Gilded_Palace_of_Sin.jpg

Another record, which I already got the original LP, but have been thinking of getting on CD due to the bonus tracks is Sweetheart Of The Rodeo by The Byrds. Finally I have purchased it too. The bonus tracks are a treat, with Gram Parsons on vocals, as it originally intended to be.

c9036601x7d.jpg

Another album that should be interesting for anyone into steel guitars and rock'n'roll, is New Seasons by The Sadies. They mix their country with everything between psychedelia to rock-a-billy. I assure you it's a great album!

I haven't heard it yet myself but I understand the new album they've just released with John Doe from X is pretty good. You can sample some tunes on the John Doe & the Sadies MySpace site.

B001TN1EFW.jpg

I haven't heard it yet myself but I understand the new album they've just released with John Doe from X is pretty good. You can sample some tunes on the John Doe & the Sadies MySpace site.

B001TN1EFW.jpg

Excellent - love John Doe. Saw him in concert back several years and he was fantastic. Great songwriter.

Excellent - love John Doe. Saw him in concert back several years and he was fantastic. Great songwriter.

X are playing here soon and from all reports their reunion shows haven't been coming with the usual trappings and shortcomings so I hope to see 'em.

X are playing here soon and from all reports their reunion shows haven't been coming with the usual trappings and shortcomings so I hope to see 'em.

I never saw X - I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on them if you make it to a show.

The Black Crowes - Three Snakes And One Charm

Chris Robinson & The New Earth Mud - This Magnificent Distance

:D:D:DB)B)

B001TN1EFW.jpg

They've had a couple of songs streaming at The Sadies myspace for a while too. I got somewhat a bit disapointed as John Doe's voice didn't really appeal to me. I would much rather have heard the songs with only The Sadies.. LOL

d2e0224128a052fd00064010._AA240_.L.jpgVinyl

51KZ4875RBL._AA240_.jpg

618S595V7XL._AA240_.jpg

How's it going "Jahfin?" I hope all is well with you. I just bought and received the 6-CD set bootleg from New Zealand entitled "JIMI HENDRIX AND THE BAND OF GYPSY'S, 2 NIGHTS AT THE FILLMORE." The sound quality is outstanding and alot of these songs kick some serious ass, need I say more? ROCK ON!

They've had a couple of songs streaming at The Sadies myspace for a while too. I got somewhat a bit disapointed as John Doe's voice didn't really appeal to me. I would much rather have heard the songs with only The Sadies.. LOL

Fair enough, were you ever a fan of X?

CDs: Led Zeppelin - Bottle Up And Go! (bootleg)

Led Zeppelin - Electric Magic (bootleg) It's actually from Madison Square Garden July 29, 1973

Neil Young - The Boston Late Show (bootleg) Boston Music Hall November 22, 1976

Bruce Springsteen - Lucky Town

Vinyl: Rory Gallagher - Calling Card

Eric Clapton - Slowhand

Michael Schenker Group - Assault Attack picture disc

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive! picture disc

Buttons: Led Zeppelin, The Ramones, The Misfits, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, and The Sex Pistols

I also bought the May issue of Record Collector with Robert & Jimmy on the cover. It has an article about Led Zeppelin I in it.

Fair enough, were you ever a fan of X?

I can't recall I've ever heard of them.

I would recommend checking them out. I've got "Hey Zeus", "See How We Are", "More Fun in the New World" and "Under the Big Black Sun".

I would recommend checking them out. I've got "Hey Zeus", "See How We Are", "More Fun in the New World" and "Under the Big Black Sun".

Thanks man, I'll have to check 'em records out!

They're an infamous L.A. punk band that led to such off shoot country/punk/rockabilly groups such as the Knitters and the Blasters. John Doe has also been in a number of movies over the years including Roadhouse.

They're an infamous L.A. punk band that led to such off shoot country/punk/rockabilly groups such as the Knitters and the Blasters. John Doe has also been in a number of movies over the years including Roadhouse.

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the info. Sounds like cool stuff.

You're welcome - oh by the way, I'm a she ;)

LOL, sorry. :D