What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

Got me another couple of 45's this weekend.. all blues:

Albert King - I Get Evil / What Can I Do To Change Your Mind (Bobbin 1962)

I Get Evil is essentially the same song as Don't Lie To Me which was covered by Rolling Stones in the mid-sixties, among others.

Hop Wilson - Broke And Hungry / Always Be In Love With You (Goldband 1958)

Hop was a Houston native that played a steel-guitar, which was quite original for a blues artist at the time.

Howlin' Wolf - Wang Dang Doodle / Back Door Man (Chess 1961)

Little Walter - My Babe / Blue Midnight (Checker 1960)

Muddy Waters - You Need Love / Little Brown Bird (Chess 1962)

Sonny Boy Williamson - Help Me / Bye Bye Bird (Checker 1963)

Hop Wilson with his steel guitar:

hop_wilson.jpg

howlinwolf01.jpg

Finally got this 45 by:

Elmo James (Elmore James) - Done Somebody Wrong / Fine Little Mama (Fire 1960)

This is one of my favorite Elmore tunes, Done Somebody Wrong. Yardbirds recorded a fine version of this song too, with Clapton on guitar.

fire1031b4.jpg

Four LP's:

Louisiana Red - The Lowdown Back Porch Blues Of Louisiana Red (1963)

I didn't know about this guy until recently and now that I am listening to his first album I am totally blown away! Amazing guitarist and singer! If you're into delta and swamp blues, please check this guy out!

f34527heu19.jpg

Lonesome Sundown - Lonesome Lonely Blues (1970)

This record consists of recordings made in the late 50's and early 60's and was the first album ever released by Lonesome Sundown. He's got the typical Excello swamp sound! Great!!

11a1_1.JPG

Cannonball Adderley with Milt Jackson - Things Are Getting Better (1958)

Classic album by Adderley with musicians like Milt (vibes), Art Blakey (drums), Wynton Kelly (piano) and Percy Heath (bass). I love Somethin' Else and when I saw this album I had to get it too.

g44716gvo26.jpg

Miles Davis - Milestones (1958)

Before this purchase, I only had one album by Miles, but I really feel the urge to check out more stuff by him. I just couldn't resist to buy this one when I saw it for such a great price and knowing it's one of his classic albums.

e69493f6sv4.jpg

Townes Van Zandt - Live at The Old Quarter, Houston, Texas

The frst album I bought by this artist and I was very much impressed.

Great find! It really is an impressing album. I recently got it myself and I love it.

Townes Van Zandt - Live at The Old Quarter, Houston, Texas

The frst album I bought by this artist and I was very much impressed.

Townes' voice can be an acquired taste but if you're able to get beyond that you're in for a real treat as I do believe he's one of the best songwriters who ever lived. I also highly recommend seeing this documentary (click on the image for more info):

townes_index_rev.jpg

I haven't heard this yet but many people I know have strongly suggested it:

cover_poet.jpg

...and, of course there's this (which I still haven't purchased yet). However, Steve did put on one hell of a show in Carrboro last week and told many very moving (and often humorous) anecdotes about his times with Townes.

SteveEarle-Townes-2009.jpg

Edited by Jahfin

Townes' voice can be an acquired taste but if you're able to get beyond that you're in for a real treat as I do believe he's one of the best songwriters who ever lived. I also highly recommend seeing this documentary (click on the image for more info):

townes_index_rev.jpg

I haven't heard this yet but many people I know have strongly suggested it:

cover_poet.jpg

...and, of course there's this (which I still haven't purchased yet). However, Steve did put on one hell of a show in Carrboro last week and told many very moving (and often humorous) anecdotes about his times with Townes.

SteveEarle-Townes-2009.jpg

I did like his voice so that's all good. As I said that was the first alum I bought from him, does it matter which album of his I buy next?, I saw these albums of his at the record store I was at

Our Mother the Mountain, Delta Momma Blues, and Townes Van Zandt.

The intimacy of the performance was also impressing.

I'll check out those recommendations, thanks.

Four LP's:

Louisiana Red - The Lowdown Back Porch Blues Of Louisiana Red (1963)

I didn't know about this guy until recently and now that I am listening to his first album I am totally blown away! Amazing guitarist and singer! If you're into delta and swamp blues, please check this guy out!

f34527heu19.jpg

Lonesome Sundown - Lonesome Lonely Blues (1970)

This record consists of recordings made in the late 50's and early 60's and was the first album ever released by Lonesome Sundown. He's got the typical Excello swamp sound! Great!!

11a1_1.JPG

Cannonball Adderley with Milt Jackson - Things Are Getting Better (1958)

Classic album by Adderley with musicians like Milt (vibes), Art Blakey (drums), Wynton Kelly (piano) and Percy Heath (bass). I love Somethin' Else and when I saw this album I had to get it too.

g44716gvo26.jpg

Miles Davis - Milestones (1958)

Before this purchase, I only had one album by Miles, but I really feel the urge to check out more stuff by him. I just couldn't resist to buy this one when I saw it for such a great price and knowing it's one of his classic albums.

e69493f6sv4.jpg

Oooh the Lonesome Sundown sounds wonderful! I love Excello Records :D

If you want to check out more Miles - go for Bitches Brew and Kind of Blue. Both tops in my book.

I did like his voice so that's all good. As I said that was the first alum I bought from him, does it matter which album of his I buy next?, I saw these albums of his at the record store I was at

The intimacy of the performance was also impressing.

I'll check out those recommendations, thanks.

Me too love his voice, and as Jahfin stated, he was an amazing songwriter! Of the albums you mention Townes Van Zandt is definitely essential. Some of his most loved songs are on that album. I have Delta Momma Blues as well, but if I have to recomend one of them, TVZ it is.. I don't have Our Mother The Mountain, but it's supposed to be a great album too..

Also the DVD Jahfin posted about, Be Here To Love Me is great!

Oooh the Lonesome Sundown sounds wonderful! I love Excello Records :D

If you want to check out more Miles - go for Bitches Brew and Kind of Blue. Both tops in my book.

Thanks for the recomendations Nine, I will definitely check 'em out. I don't know much about Bitches Brew, but Kind Of Blue have been on my "got to get" list for a long time.

Excello was a great label with so many cool artists indeed!! I found one song by Lonesome Sundown on youtube, and if you like this song you'll probably love the rest of his stuff too:

My Home Is A Prison - Lonesome Sundown

Me too love his voice, and as Jahfin stated, he was an amazing songwriter! Of the albums you mention Townes Van Zandt is definitely essential. Some of his most loved songs are on that album. I have Delta Momma Blues as well, but if I have to recomend one of them, TVZ it is.. I don't have Our Mother The Mountain, but it's supposed to be a great album too..

Thanks for the recomendations Nine, I will definitely check 'em out. I don't know much about Bitches Brew, but Kind Of Blue have been on my "got to get" list for a long time.

Excello was a great label with so many cool artists indeed!! I found one song by Lonesome Sundown on youtube, and if you like this song you'll probably love the rest of his stuff too:

My Home Is A Prison - Lonesome Sundown

Townes Van Zandt is great as well. I discovered him after Robert and Alison covered one of his songs on Raising Sand. I've got a good 2 cd compilation I listen to a lot.

There was a great box set of Excello records I read about some time ago and I think it's since gone out of print which is disappointing as they housed so many fantastic musicians. Thanks for the link - definitely my kinda sound. I shall add to the ever growing list of things to buy!

As for Miles, Bitches Brew is an absolute must as well. If you like fusion jazz, it's really the pioneer album for it and spawned many a great careers from the artists he recorded with on the album.

The only Townes records I have are also Live At Old Quarter, Together at the Bluebird Cafe: Steve Earle, Townes Van Zandt and Guy Clark and For the Sake of the Song (vinyl). I have no problem recommending any of those to you but they only scratch the surface. If you ever get around to watching Be Here To Love Me (which you can watch online for free here with commercials) you'll find that Guy Clark makes several appearances throughout the movie. That only stands to reason as he and Townes were very dear friends but Guy's music is also well worth seeking out. He was so close to Townes he's included one of his songs on every single album he's ever released. On that subject, the Heartworn Highways documentary (with Townes, Guy, Steve Earle, David Allan Coe, Steve Young, Charlie Daniels and others) is also very highly recommended. When it was finally released on DVD a few years back a soundtrack was also put out. Click on the photo below for a link to the Heartworn Highways trailer.

51F3F45HF5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Thanks for the recommendations Swede! Sounds like Townes Van Zandt it is.

The only Townes records I have are also Live At Old Quarter, Together at the Bluebird Cafe: Steve Earle, Townes Van Zandt and Guy Clark and For the Sake of the Song (vinyl). I have no problem recommending any of those to you but they only scratch the surface. If you ever get around to watching Be Here To Love Me (which you can watch online for free here with commercials) you'll find that Guy Clark makes several appearances throughout the movie. That only stands to reason as he and Townes were very dear friends but Guy's music is also well worth seeking out. He was so close to Townes he's included one of his songs on every single album he's ever released. On that subject, the Heartworn Highways documentary (with Townes, Guy, Steve Earle, David Allan Coe, Steve Young, Charlie Daniels and others) is also very highly recommended. When it was finally released on DVD a few years back a soundtrack was also put out. Click on the photo below for a link to the Heartworn Highways trailer.

51F3F45HF5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I'll check out Steve Earle and Guy Clark, how many covers of Townes did Steve Earle play at the concert you attended. I would much rather buy the DVD as well as the documentary as the internet connection I have is too slow. Thanks for the recommendations and for bringing forth some good valuable information that concerns Townes.

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

Here's the setlist from Steve Earle's show in Carrboro last week. The Townes songs are marked with asterisks. Swede, please let me know if I missed any.

Steve Earle

Carrboro Arts Centre

10 June 2009

Start: 9:28

1. Where I Lead Me*

2. Colorado Girl*

3. Rex's Blues*

4. Ft. Worth Blues

5. Pancho & Lefty*

6. Brand New Companion*

7. Tom Ames' Prayer

8. My Old Friend The Blues

9. Someday

10. Taneytown

11. Goodbye

12. Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold*

13. Marie*

14. City of Immigrants

15. Dixieland

16. Rich Man's War

17. The Mountain

18. Sparkle & Shine

19. Lungs*

20. To Live Is To Fly*

Encore

21. Hometown Blues

22. Tennessee Blues

23. Copperhead Road

Townes Van Zandt is great as well. I discovered him after Robert and Alison covered one of his songs on Raising Sand. I've got a good 2 cd compilation I listen to a lot.

There was a great box set of Excello records I read about some time ago and I think it's since gone out of print which is disappointing as they housed so many fantastic musicians. Thanks for the link - definitely my kinda sound. I shall add to the ever growing list of things to buy!

As for Miles, Bitches Brew is an absolute must as well. If you like fusion jazz, it's really the pioneer album for it and spawned many a great careers from the artists he recorded with on the album.

A comp like that of Excello artist is the way to go I suppose, as the original singles and albums isn't easy to find.

I must admit that I am not a very big fan of fusion jazz, but my interest in music is greater then my taste and I could probably get Bitches Brew for the reason it was a pioneering record. :D

Here's the setlist from Steve Earle's show in Carrboro last week. The Townes songs are marked with asterisks. Swede, please let me know if I missed any.

Steve Earle

Carrboro Arts Centre

10 June 2009

Start: 9:28

1. Where I Lead Me*

2. Colorado Girl*

3. Rex's Blues*

4. Ft. Worth Blues

5. Pancho & Lefty*

6. Brand New Companion*

7. Tom Ames' Prayer

8. My Old Friend The Blues

9. Someday

10. Taneytown

11. Goodbye

12. Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold*

13. Marie*

14. City of Immigrants

15. Dixieland

16. Rich Man's War

17. The Mountain

18. Sparkle & Shine

19. Lungs*

20. To Live Is To Fly*

Encore

21. Hometown Blues

22. Tennessee Blues

23. Copperhead Road

I think you nailed them, you would probably know better then I.. I really would like to catch Steve Earle live, I hope he'll be touring Scandinavia soon.

Book: Led Zeppelin - The Definitive Biography by Richie Yorke

Buttons:

Beatles - Sgt. Peppers

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Keith Richards playing an acoustic guitar

Stop Wars (written in the Star Wars logo)

All Vinyl:

Bachman Turner Overdrive - Best Of BTO

Ted Nugent - Free For All

J. Geils Band - "Live" Full House

Uriah Heep - Abominog

Steve Miller Band - Children Of The Universe

Yes - 90125

James Taylor - Greatest Hits

Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare

Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield Again

David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name

The Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers

Marvin Gaye - "Here, My Dear"

The Band - The Best Of The Band

The Band - Cahoots

Neil Young - American Stars 'n Bars

Neil Young - Old Ways

Genesis - Three Sides Live

Genesis - ...And Then There Were Three...

:P:P That took awhile to type :):)