What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

Two awesome 45s:

Elmore James and His Broom Dusters - Rollin' And Tumblin' / I'm Worried (FIRE 1960)

fire1024a4.jpg

Elmo James and His Broomdusters - The Sky Is Crying / Held My Baby Last Night (FIRE 1960)

fire1016a4.jpg

Buttons: Who - Quadrophenia

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Survival

Jerry Garcia

( I have a ton of buttons :D )

Vinyl: Jeff Beck - Wired

Wings - Wings At The Speed Of Sound

Eric Clapton - Backless

Van Morrison - Into The Music

Wings - Back To The Egg

Lou Reed - Mistrial

Joni Mitchell - Song To A Seagull

Stephen Stills - 2 Originals Of Stephen Stills

( The Stephen Stills record is a combination of his first two solo albums sold in the same set. I had never even heard of this record before and was surprised to find that mine is a German import. Interesting album. B) )

Edited by Kashmir330

51e5yeL1VwL_SL500_AA240_.jpguntitled.jpg

I've only gotten one or two listens to both albums but man they are great. Good buys.

Is that Ray's latest album? I only heard a couple of songs by him, but what little I've heard I really like.

The new version of Sonny Landreth's "Levee Town", a used copy of John Hiatt's "Little Head", and

Etta James & Eddie Vinson's "The Late Show" (live). I got "The Late Show" after hearing that version of Baby What you Want Me To Do? on the radio:

"Mama cooked a chicken; she thought it was a duck,

she put it on the table with its legs cocked up..."

:chickeddance:

I have another live cd by Etta James, which I bought after seeing her on Austin City Limits.

She is so incredible live! For some reason when I hear her I think of Robert. Maybe because she's so horny!

A great Michigan garage rocker 45:

The Underdogs - The Man In The Glass / Judy Be Mine (later re-tiled: Friday at the Hideout)

Listen to Judy Be Mine right

Some history about the band:

The Underdogs were a four-man garage band from Grosse Pointe, MI, with a lineup similar to the Beatles -- three guitars and a drum manned by Dave Whitehouse (vocals/bass), Tony Roumell (lead guitar/vocals), Chris Lena (rhythm guitar/vocals), and Michael Morgan (drums/vocals).

Inspired by the success of English bands like the Beatles, the Dave Clark Five, the Rolling Stones, and others, the band formed in high school and started playing at local promoters Dave Leone's and Ed "Punch" Andrews' legendary Hideout Club in Harper Woods, MI. The Hideout was a teen dance club and record company that opened in 1963; the latter came about when the featured bands became so popular Leone and Andrews decided to record them. Bob Seger & the Last Herd, the Fugitives, Doug Brown & the Omens, the Heavy Metal Kids (featuring future Eagle Glenn Frey), Suzi Quatro & the Pleasure Seekers, and Ted Nugent & the Lourds are some of the rockers that played the Hideout.

Leone, a college student, started the club to give teens a place to hang; the admission was a whopping one dollar to dance, hang out, and see local bands. He initially was going to call the place "The Library" so the teens could tell their parents they were going to the library Friday night. The club was scandalous. Formerly used as a wedding reception hall, its back room doubled as a dressing/orgy room.

In 1965, the Underdogs cut Hideout's first single, "Man in the Glass," a song based on an Alcoholics Anonymous poem. The flip side was "Judy Be Mine" aka "Friday at the Hideout," which the Romantics redid. "Man in the Glass" made enough noise locally for Hideout to ink a master deal with Reprise Records for mass distribution. But the distribution and plugging ended when the source of the lyrics was discovered by Reprise.

Buoyed by the success of "Man in the Glass" despite the lyrics controversy, Hideout issued a sampler LP late in 1965 that featured both sides of the Underdogs' single plus two new cuts: "Surprise, Surprise" (a remake of the Rolling Stones' record) and "Get Down on Your Knees" written by Bob Seger, Whitehouse, and Leone. A second single "Little Girl" b/w "Don't Pretend" (1966) followed a similar script; coming out on Hideout first, then Reprise, the promotion wasn't aborted this time but the record still stiffed everywhere but "the Dogs"' home base. Seger wrote "East Side Story" for the Underdogs, but reportedly their version didn't have it, so Seger cut it himself.

The bands' hometown popularity piqued the interest of Motown Records who signed them to a deal. They had one single release on the VIP label, a tough-as-nails makeover of Holland-Dozier-Holland's "Love's Gone Bad" originally done by blue-eyed soul-singing Chris Clark; the Underdogs are reportedly the first white band signed by Motown, but that's debatable, with "band" being the key word. What should have been a hit didn't generate much chart action according to Motown's standards, reaching its zenith at number 122 pop in 1966. The flipside was a remake of Clarence Paul/Bunny Paul/Faye Hale's "MoJo Hanna" a popular Jobete copyright first recorded by Henry Lumpkin and redone by many including Marvin Gaye, the Ideals, Tammi Lynn, Esther Phillips, and the Neville Brothers. The single is a find, if you can locate a copy. They cut other unreleased sides at Motown including a smokin' "The Way You Do the Things You Do" that was shelved for years but can now be found on compilation albums such as Motown Sings Motown and others.

The Grande Ballroom succeeded the Hideout Club in the Detroit area, which seems to coincide with the Underdogs' disappearance from the music scene. When Leone got drafted, it spelled the end of the club that earned him big bucks; he later became a booking agent for Ted Nugent and others before passing October 5, 1999, from a heart attack. Punch Andrews, Leone's Hideout partner and longtime manager of Bob Seger, now handles Kid Rock. It's not clear what happened to the Underdogs. ~ Andrew Hamilton, All Music Guide

cd_papd.jpg

Got several from this one during Kevn's performance at the Pour House in Raleigh last night including the hilarious Which Jesus along with a tune that namedropped R.E.M., DBT and the Georgia Satellites that'll be on the next Drivin' n' Cryin' record. The new solo album is half music/half poetry.

cd_papd.jpg

Got several from this one during Kevn's performance at the Pour House in Raleigh last night including the hilarious Which Jesus along with a tune that namedropped R.E.M., DBT and the Georgia Satellites that'll be on the next Drivin' n' Cryin' record. The new solo album is half music/half poetry.

I listen to Mike Malloy (progressive talk radio: www.mikemalloy.com) as often as possible. Every Friday he signs off with this message: "Goodnight Kevin Kinney, wherever you are". I've always wondered who Kevin is, and I assume they must have been friends at one point, since Mike mentions him every week...

I listen to Mike Malloy (progressive talk radio: www.mikemalloy.com) as often as possible. Every Friday he signs off with this message: "Goodnight Kevin Kinney, wherever you are". I've always wondered who Kevin is, and I assume they must have been friends at one point, since Mike mentions him every week...

I'm not sure of the connection but after a quick Google search it does appear to be the same Kevn Kinney. Evidently at one time Malloy used Drivin' n' Cryin's Straight To Hell as his intro music (and perhaps still does, I haven't heard the show).