What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

Love Songs- The Beatles...its a compilation double album, I did't even know it existed, got it on vinyl

I think it's fairly rare and one of several of their albums that have never been issued on compact disc, at least to my knowledge.

I bought three LP's:

Abbey Lincoln - Abbey is blue (1960)

This is a great album with great musicians like Max Roach on drums, which also was the husband of Abbey at the time. Didn't find many songs with Abbey on youtube, but here's a song from another album which at least shows how great this stuff is: Driva Man (from Freedom now suite)

-abbey-lincoln---abbey-is-blue.jpg

Julie London - Julie is her name, Vol 1 (1955)

Her first album which includes her huge hit Cry me a river.

e92434nfmrt.jpg

Carolyn Hester - s/t (1962)

Not only a great singer/songwriter album, but also Bob Dylans recording debut. He play harmonica on several tracks. I love her voice, check this track out: Come back baby

d10890v9r1v.jpg

Two great DVD's:

You See Me Laughing - The Last of the Hill Country Bluesmen (2002)

You See Me Laughin' is a personal journey into the lives and music of the last of the hill country bluesmen who've kept their music alive on the back porches and in the tiny juke joints of the Mississippi backwoods.

You See Me Laughin' takes us on the road and into the homes of R.L. Burnside, Junior Kimbrough, T-Model Ford, Cedell Davis, Johnny Farmer and Asie Payton -- musicians who've labored for the blues tradition despite lives steeped in poverty and violence. The result is a raw, powerful music that is fused with the cultural landscape of its musicians.

[Directed by Mandy Stein - 77min - NR - USA 2002] (IMDB)

you_see_me_laughin.jpg

Down From The Mountain (2001)

Amazon.co.uk Review

Down from the Mountain is a treasurable record of a unique event: a live concert from Nashville featuring the artists and songs from the Coen Brothers' film O Brother, Where Art Thou?. Anyone who was delighted by that enchanting film and its traditional Americana soundtrack will find this concert an irresistible delight. It's not just a rehashing of the songs from the film, however, but an opportunity for some of the finest names in Bluegrass to perform a variety of traditional songs. Here we have Alison Krauss, Gillian Welch and Emmylou Harris playing separately before coming together for an a cappella rendition of "(Didn't Leave) Nobody but the Baby". Bluegrass legend Ralph Stanley chills the spine with his lonesome "O Death", while bluesman Chris Thomas King wails "John Law Burned Down the Liquor Sto'". There are other marvellous performances from old-timey stalwarts The Cox Family and The Whites, more Gospel-infused singing from the Fairfield Four, and impressively authentic fiddling from John Hartford. Oddly, the only song not to be heard is the original film's standout item, "Man of Constant Sorrow". The concert is also available on CD.

51XwvOwFvPL.jpg

The new Q magazine with the Led Zeppelin : Knebworth article

A pack of Zeppelin buttons and a pack of Ramones buttons

A Robert Johnson: King of the Delta Blues Singers t shirt

Vinyl : Cheap Trick - Found All The Parts EP

Led Zeppelin - IV

Led Zeppelin - Coda ( I already have both IV and Coda but I just had to buy them because they were in such great condition :D:P )

The Misfits - Static Age

The J Geils Band - Monkey Island

Pete Townshend - All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes

America - America

The Scorpions - Rhythm Of Love single

Joe Walsh - So What

Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story

Liona Boyd - Labyrinth single

Joan Baez - Blessed Are...

While working this weekend I had my HTWWW CD and my boss (U2 fan) wanted it so I gave it to him, so this weekend I will be buying another one...gladely:-)

How's it going "Deborah J?" I always hope all is well with you and your son. Ahhhhhhhh, HOW SWEET! Now you can tell your boss that you want a diamond for your "B" Day! Ha Ha! ROCK ON!

Brainwashed - George Harrison's swan song

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I did listen to Marwa Blues, and I thought it was one of the best instrumentals I'd ever heard. Very beautiful and peaceful. :)

1) Marwa Blues won a Grammy in 2004.

2) I enjoy the entire CD.

Edited by JethroTull

Johnny Winter - Second Winter

Blue Cheer - New Improved

Stephen Stills - Just Roll the Tape

Todd Rundgren- Initiation

The Who - Live At the Isle of Wight

David Gilmour - David Gilmour

Neil Young - On the Beach

Neil Young - Freedom

I forgot about Syd Straw. I used to listen to her a lot when she first hit the scene.

I first heard of her when Michael Stipe made a guest appearance on Future 40's (String of Pearls) from this record. He later used the chorus of that song as a prelude to I Believe in concert. I also remember her from the debut episode of Unplugged way back when it was hosted by Jules Shear. She's also one of many guests (including Stipe, John Lydon, Jack Bruce, etc.) on the second Golden Palominos album Visions of Excess. I have no idea what ever became of her.