Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Jahfin

What's Your Latest Purchase?

I figured if you like them, they're worth a listen. So I checked out their website, listened to some songs -- not bad! I see they're a local (NC) band.

I like what I hear too.

I figured if you like them, they're worth a listen. So I checked out their website, listened to some songs -- not bad! I see they're a local (NC) band.

I've been aware of The Love Language for quite some time now so when an opportunity to see them finally arose over the weekend I took it. Actually, I ended up seeing them twice, once at an in-store appearance in the afternoon and a show later on that evening. The in-store was particularly unique because they learned a song by one of their opening bands (Gross Ghost) which they did in their set. You just don't see that sort of thing. It spoke heavily of The Love Language and it made me arrive at the show in plenty of time to catch Gross Ghost (who were also great, btw).

I've been aware of The Love Language for quite some time now so when an opportunity to see them finally arose over the weekend I took it. Actually, I ended up seeing them twice, once at an in-store appearance in the afternoon and a show later on that evening. The in-store was particularly unique because they learned a song by one of their opening bands (Gross Ghost) which they did in their set. You just don't see that sort of thing. It spoke heavily of The Love Language and it made me arrive at the show in plenty of time to catch Gross Ghost (who were also great, btw).

They kind of reminds me a little of Glasvegas.. Don't know if you've heard them.. Although Glasvegas songs are more simple in their construction.

They kind of reminds me a little of Glasvegas.. Don't know if you've heard them.. Although Glasvegas songs are more simple in their construction.

Thanks, I'll have to check them out. My impression of the Love Language is one of a band who puts out a very positive vibe. To witness them live as the crowd gets all caught up in it is quite the experience.

Six ass kickin' 50's and 60's 45's! Money well spent:

Little Walter - Last Night / Mellow Down Easy (Checker 1954)

I've got this fab 45 but I just had to upgrade it to a better copy. Mellow Down Easy ROCKS!!!

Black Crowes and Jimmy Page did a nice cover of it on their live collaboration.

Lee Rogers - You're The Cream of The Crop / Somebody Else Will (D-Town 1965)

Great bluesy r'n'b, will do magic on the dancefloor!!

The Shoelaces - Ball And Chain / Work Song (Brite Leaf 1963)

I don't know shit about this group and release, but it's frickin' great! Both sides!!

Lonnie Russ - Tell Me How / Flip Flop (4J 1963)

Lonnie released another 45 called My Wife Can't Cook which is quite popular among collectors. This one is a great dancer too!

The Volumes - Monkey Hop / Why (Old Town 1964)

I've seen this single go for $150 but I got it for nothing in compare to that. Monkey Hop is great early r'n'b which is top notch for the dancefloor. Why is classic doo wop.

Johnny Talbot - Never Make Your Baby Cry Pt 1 / Never Make Your Baby Cry Pt 2 (Modern 1965)

Great swingin' r'n'b from Oakland!!

I've been buying quite a lot of albums lately.

In addition to those mentioned on page 71 , I also recently bought:

Arcade Fire: Funeral and Neon Bible

The National: Alligator, Boxer and High Violet

Midlake: Bamnan and Slivercork

Arcade Fire: Funeral and Neon Bible

Have you seen this video from their newest record? If not, you owe it to yourself to check it out. In fact, I recommend it to folks that aren't even familiar with Arcade Fire. It's really quite unique in that it's an interactive video. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen anything like this.

On cassette: Hooligans by the Who and Heartbeat City by the Cars.

I also got a free download off Amazon: "Sand", from Heart's new album Red Velvet Car. It's a really beautiful song! I can't wait to buy the album. :D

Edited by pagemccartney95

Have you seen this video from their newest record? If not, you owe it to yourself to check it out. In fact, I recommend it to folks that aren't even familiar with Arcade Fire. It's really quite unique in that it's an interactive video. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen anything like this.

That was impressive. Thanks for sharing :)

On cassette: Van Halen, Van Halen Best Of Part I, 1984, and OU812 by Van Halen; Exit: Stage Left by Rush; and Outrider by Jimmy Page.

On vinyl: Bad Animals by Heart. :D

Several of these (the War On Drugs, Breathe Owl Breathe and Woods) are recent discoveries from last weekend's first annual Hopscotch music festival in Raleigh. Plans for next year's festival are already in the works.

CD

51v021cwnGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg614L-QnlZ3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Vinyl

Night-Jogger_600-550x550.jpg

51EsPFjAYpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg61WR0zeSirL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41D1op1OVkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41otqIL-y3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I was at a vinyl fair with a friend and picked up a couple of albums there and one from a record store later:

On vinyl:

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds (original UK pressing :) )

And on CD:

Radiohead - OK Computer Collector's Edition, my first Radiohead album and I have to say that I absolutely love it. Climbing Up The Walls :thumbsup:

I was at a vinyl fair with a friend and picked up a couple of albums there and one from a record store later:

On vinyl:

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds (original UK pressing :) )

Those are truly fantastic purchases there! "Abbey Road" is a gem (my favourite songs are "You Never Give Me Your Money", "Come Together", "Because" and "Oh Darling" and after "The Dark Side of The Moon", "Obscured By Clouds" is my second favourite album by Pink Floyd of all time! All I can say is "Congratulations and enjoy". :D

A Kick Ass Album by "The Hellacopters" :D This is my first purchase from "The Hellacopters" catalogue!!!! :D So worth the NZ $11!

The_Hellacopters_-_High_Visibility.jpg

This album left me screaming and wanting more!!!!! It just rocks your socks off from start to finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Even if I told my mom a 1000 times how much I love her, it still wouldn't be enough because she got me this today :

Photo0276.jpg?t=1284957867

I've been searching for this album for 5 goddamn years and my mom (the angel) found it and bought it for me today (eventhough, she can't stand Hendrix!) :yay: :yay:

Gotta love them CD booklets! B)

Photo0278.jpg?t=1284957867

Photo0277.jpg?t=1284957867

All images courtesy of my Samsung Corby. My digi cam is out of action at the moment :P And this is the first couple of "personal pics" I have posted on this very forum! :lol:

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

A cool 45 by:

The Yo Yo's - Gotta Find a New Love / I've Got Something In My Eye (Goldwax 1966)

Great garage band from Memphis TN.

A couple of brilliant 45's:

Dusty Brown - Yes She's Gone / He Don't Love You (Parrot 1955)

Really nice heavy rhythm'n'blues!! The youtube link is a 78 rpm, while I got me a 45.

Gay Meadows - Ugly Chile / Limbo (Trumpet 1963)

Very obscure r'n'b with extremely funny lyrics!! Cool 45!!!! Can't hardly find anything on the net about this one.

Joe Liggens (misspelt, should be Liggins) - Yeah Yeah Yeah / They Were Doin' The Mambo (Mercury 1954)

Great 50's proto- rocker/r'n'b!! B-side is cool too! Pretty rare!

Baby Boy Jennings and The Satellites - Goin' Home / Little Girl (Savoy 1960)

Yet another great obscure r'n'b single!!

The Esquires -

/ Big Thing (Alley 1966)

Fantastic garage rocker!!! One of my new favourites damn it!!!!!!!!!!

Went to one of the local music shops a couple of days ago and grabbed these:

Radiohead - Kid A (Collector's Edition or whatever it's called :D )

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

It was a double purchase via Amazon, so I'd get the Super Saver Free Shipping.

The DVD of the movie "2012". The movie itself is a joke and so over the top, but great special effects. Quite entertaining.

Robert's new "Band Of Joy" cd, which I love and am playing to death.

Two from Bobby Bare, Jr. the first is his latest record, the second is an EP of songs by America and Bread.

61k15j44hzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51aghtpYtjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Went by a second hand vinyl store this evening when I was heading home from work. Got a little inspired to look for Black Sabbath albums that I don't have.. Ended up with these three classic albums, all on vinyl:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

f80256rrz9b.jpg

13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere

g18252o8oly.jpg

On their groundbreaking debut album, the 13th Floor Elevators sometimes sounded as if they were still learning how to work with the strange beast of their own creation known as psychedelic rock. But their second set, 1967's Easter Everywhere, found them a great deal more comfortable and confident with their loose and hypnotically trippy approach. Easter Everywhere doesn't have an out-of-the-box classic cut like "You're Gonna Miss Me" or "Fire Engine" from The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators, but in many ways it's a more cohesive and consistent work, and the subtle but effective structures of the longer tracks grow and develop through repeated listenings, while rockers like "She Lives (In a Time of Her Own)" and "Levitation" pack a surprisingly visceral punch. Stacy Sutherland was never a blazing guitar hero, but his concise aural punctuations on the epochal "Slip Inside This House" and a superb cover of Dylan's "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" are perfectly suited to the material. In addition, the rhythm section of Dan Galindo on bass and Danny Thomas on drums locks these songs into place with confidence and skill. The strange patterns of Tommy Hall's electric jug playing are as gloriously bewildering as ever, merging the music of the spheres with an alien attack, and Roky Erickson's vocals make even the most acid-damaged poesy sound passionate, graceful, and wildly alive. And Roky and the Elevators never sounded sweeter and saner than they did on the penultimate tune, "I Had to Tell You," with Roky seemingly offering a postscript to his many sad years to follow with the words "If you fear I'll lose my spirit/Like a drunkard's wasted wine/Don't you even think about it/I'm feeling fine." Even if less influential than The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators, Easter Everywhere is every bit as compelling and a true benchmark of early psychedelic rock — not bad for an album produced by Kenny Rogers' brother.

Electric Prunes - Underground

e257167ydv1.jpg

According to Electric Prunes members Jim Lowe and Mark Tulin, producer Dave Hassinger enjoyed enough success as a result of the group's early hit singles and their subsequent debut album that he was too busy to spend much time with them as they were recording the follow up, and that was arguably a good thing for the band. While Underground didn't feature any hit singles along the lines of "I Had to Much to Dream (Last Night)," it's a significantly more consistent work than the debut, and this time out the group was allowed to write five of the disc's twelve songs, allowing their musical voice to be heard with greater clarity. As on their first LP, the Electric Prunes' strongest asset was the guitar interplay of Jim Lowe, Ken Williams and James "Weasel" Spagnola, and while they became a bit more restrained in their use of fuzztone, wah-wah and tremolo effects, there's a unity in their attack on Underground that's impressive, and the waves of sound on "Antique Doll," "Big City" and " "Children of Rain" reveal a new level creative maturity (though they could make with a wicked, rattling fuzz on "Dr. Do-Good"). If Underground ultimately isn't as memorable as the Electric Prunes' first album, it's a matter of material — while the outside material that dominated the debut was sometimes ill-fitting, it also gave them some stone classic tunes like "I Had Too Much to Dream" and "Get Me to the World on Time," and the band themselves didn't have quite that level of songwriting chops, while the hired hands didn't deliver the same sort of material for Underground. Still, the album shows that the Electric Prunes had the talent to grow into something more mature and imaginative than their reputation suggested, and it's all the more unfortunate that the group's identity would be stripped from them for the next album released under their name, Mass in F Minor.

B003XKB0KS.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hawkwind's 16th studio album, released in 1990. Re-released in remastered form with bonus tracks next week, but I get it early and at a cheaper price for being a member of the Atomhenge club. Which is nice! :D

This is an excellent fan-made video of the last track on the album, TV Suicide

Rolling-Stones-12-x-5-467782.jpg

I finally got around to getting this 2002 remaster that includes 6 songs that hadn't been available in stereo before.

I had the 1980's original issue, so it was time for an upgrade.