What's Your Latest Purchase?

Jahfin

Haven't heard this but I'm sure it's amazing.

It's very similar to their previous album, Almost Acoustic (which just got reissued) if not a bit more lively. I'm a huge fan of Garcia's acoustic forays whether it be with the Dead, Old & In the Way, David Grisman, etc. so if you like that sort of thing this record should be right up your alley.

It's very similar to their previous album, Almost Acoustic (which just got reissued) if not a bit more lively. I'm a huge fan of Garcia's acoustic forays whether it be with the Dead, Old & In the Way, David Grisman, etc. so if you like that sort of thing this record should be right up your alley.

Love all of the above so will definitely check into it.

71musiccover.jpg

Been buying this every year since R.E.M. contributed an alternate version of their song Why Not Smile? to the accompanying CD way back in the late 90s. Every year it has been an outstanding addition to my collection and this year is no exception. Not so long ago I read an interview with Plant where he mentioned getting turned onto one of the songs from the Oxford American CD that ended up on either his latest record or Raising Sand. In addition to the magazine and the CD, the Oxford American site has lots of stuff they couldn't fit into a single issue or onto the CD.

Nice purchases there Kiwi.. All the Hellacopters' stuff!!

My latest findings are as follows:

Blues & r'n'b 45's:

J.B. Lenore (Lenoir) - Fine Girls / I Lost My Baby (Parrot 1955)

Howlin' Wolf -

/
(Chess 1959)

Jerry McCain and His Upstarts -

/
(Excello 1957)

Lightnin' Slim - Goin' home / Wonderin' and goin' (Excello 1956)

The Dubs - Could this be magic /

(Gone 1957)

Garage 45's:

The Wailers -

/ Mau Mau (Golden Crest 1959)

Awesome early garage r'n'b who greatly influenced The Sonics! The Wailers hailed from Seattle and made many great recordings.

The Sparkles - First to forget /

(Hickory 1967)

Garage rock classic!

The Unrelated Segments - Cry cry cry / It's not fair (Liberty 1967)

Another garage rock classic and the third and last single from this excellent Michigan band.

The Free-For-All -

/ Blue monday (Challenge 1966)

A fine and melodic single from Challenge with great fuzz guitar.

The Sonics -

/ Keep a-knockin (Etiquette 1964)

The first single from this classic Seattle band, the no.1 garage kings!

The Hard Road - It's so hard to find / You rub me the wrong way (Lemon Lime 1966)

Great and obscure Ohio garage single!

The Blues Project -

/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHlQ8SkZc4 (Verve/Folkways 1965)

Top band with members such as Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield! I love this stingin' version of Howlin' Wolf's Back Door Man!!

Nice purchases there Kiwi.. All the Hellacopters' stuff!!

My latest findings are as follows:

Blues & r'n'b 45's:

J.B. Lenore (Lenoir) - Fine Girls / I Lost My Baby (Parrot 1955)

Howlin' Wolf -

/
(Chess 1959)

Jerry McCain and His Upstarts -

/
(Excello 1957)

Lightnin' Slim - Goin' home / Wonderin' and goin' (Excello 1956)

The Dubs - Could this be magic /

(Gone 1957)

Garage 45's:

The Wailers -

/ Mau Mau (Golden Crest 1959)

Awesome early garage r'n'b who greatly influenced The Sonics! The Wailers hailed from Seattle and made many great recordings.

The Sparkles - First to forget /

(Hickory 1967)

Garage rock classic!

The Unrelated Segments - Cry cry cry / It's not fair (Liberty 1967)

Another garage rock classic and the third and last single from this excellent Michigan band.

The Free-For-All -

/ Blue monday (Challenge 1966)

A fine and melodic single from Challenge with great fuzz guitar.

The Sonics -

/ Keep a-knockin (Etiquette 1964)

The first single from this classic Seattle band, the no.1 garage kings!

The Hard Road - It's so hard to find / You rub me the wrong way (Lemon Lime 1966)

Great and obscure Ohio garage single!

The Blues Project -

/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHlQ8SkZc4 (Verve/Folkways 1965)

Top band with members such as Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield! I love this stingin' version of Howlin' Wolf's Back Door Man!!

Hi Swede! :wave:

I've been very obsessed with "The Hellacopters" these last couple of weeks (but I don't think the obsession is going to go anywhere, even in the distant future)! :blush:

I was very pleased to find practically all their albums here in New Zealand, at reasonable prices! Usually the good stuff is either out of stock or is never available or is an import which burns a huge hole in a person's pocket! :unsure:

But I have you to thank, because you're the one who recommended them to me in the first place! :D And yes, "High Visibility" and "By The Grace of God" are indeed their best offerings (like you very rightly pointed out), but "Super Shitty To The Max" (should be renamed "Super Explosive To The Max") is really amazing too! :wub: And I'm really loving "Head Off" so far (best birthday present, a girl could ask for! :wub:). OK, I'm getting really carried away here! :lol:

BTW, I see you've made some really nice purchases too! I love "The Sonics", "The Sparkles" and "The Wailers" too! :D Enjoy your 45's! :D

Yes, I love all their albums, Supershitty to the max is great. Another excellent album is Payin' the dues. It's somewhere between the sound of Supershitty and High Visibility. It's great to hear that the albums are available in NZ, I do believe they became quite popular there and in Australia and also went there and toured. They were big fans of Aussie band Radio Birdman, so that's probably why they went there in the first place. B)

Yes, I love all their albums, Supershitty to the max is great. Another excellent album is Payin' the dues. It's somewhere between the sound of Supershitty and High Visibility. It's great to hear that the albums are available in NZ, I do believe they became quite popular there and in Australia and also went there and toured. They were big fans of Aussie band Radio Birdman, so that's probably why they went there in the first place. B)

I have proof that "The Hellacopters" have definitely made a mark here in NZ. I know I'm way off topic but I can't help myself! I have to tell you this!

About a month ago, I went to the Music Library at the University of Auckland (that's where I study by the way) to borrow Zep's biography "When Giants Walked The Earth". I (out of curiousity) was checking out the CD collection there (which depends on the music tastes of the Faculty of Music). I found the usual bands like Zep and Floyd. Just a couple of shelves away under "H", while I was looking for stuff by another fav of mine, "Herman's Hermits", (CDs are arranged as per the artist / band's name), I found "Supershitty To The Max"! (Seeing the back of the CD cover with the phrase "Respect The Rock" was so cool!) That was the only album by "The Hellacopters" I found there (unfortunately! :() but I just couldn't believe it to be honest! :D I got all excited and stuff and I listened to it, through my laptop and that really made my day! :D After listening to it, I made up my mind to buy it ASAP!! :D I really do wonder who on earth in the Faculty of Music is a fan!

The tracks "TAB", "How Could I Care", "Born Broke", "24th Hell" and "Gotta Get Some Action Now" were instant stand-outs in my book!

Again, apologies for being off topic! I just couldn't help myself! B)

Oh and I'm thinking of buying "Rock & Roll Is Dead" and "Payin' Their Dues" next! LOL! I know! I have to control myself! But, I am obsessed! :whistling:

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

I have proof that "The Hellacopters" have definitely made a mark here in NZ. I know I'm way off topic but I can't help myself! I have to tell you this!

About a month ago, I went to the Music Library at the University of Auckland (that's where I study by the way) to borrow Zep's biography "When Giants Walked The Earth". I (out of curiousity) was checking out the CD collection there (which depends on the music tastes of the Faculty of Music). I found the usual bands like Zep and Floyd. Just a couple of shelves away under "H", while I was looking for stuff by another fav of mine, "Herman's Hermits", (CDs are arranged as per the artist / band's name), I found "Supershitty To The Max"! (Seeing the back of the CD cover with the phrase "Respect The Rock" was so cool!) That was the only album by "The Hellacopters" I found there (unfortunately! :() but I just couldn't believe it to be honest! :D I got all excited and stuff and I listened to it, through my laptop and that really made my day! :D After listening to it, I made up my mind to buy it ASAP!! :D I really do wonder who on earth in the Faculty of Music is a fan!

The tracks "TAB", "How Could I Care", "Born Broke", "24th Hell" and "Gotta Get Some Action Now" were instant stand-outs in my book!

Again, apologies for being off topic! I just couldn't help myself! B)

Oh and I'm thinking of buying "Rock & Roll Is Dead" and "Payin' Their Dues" next! LOL! I know! I have to control myself! But, I am obsessed! :whistling:

Cool! :-) We used to have a great library in my home town as well, they had a great selection of music. I like the fact that they have music as well as books.

Cool! :-) We used to have a great library in my home town as well, they had a great selection of music. I like the fact that they have music as well as books.

Me too! That's what makes libraries dedicated to music some of the most interesting places to hang out, on the planet! To think that some folks actually feel that libraries are exceptionally boring places! They are dead wrong if you ask me! B)

After financial issues made me cancel my pre-order for the vinyl of this album a couple times, I FINALLY got it today, and let me tell you -- it looks as good as it sounds. The jacket is very glossy, it's a gatefold and there's really not much to it, but the vinyl is very heavy and looks like a dream. I took some pictures of it, and I was able to remove the shrink wrap without destroying it, so I can put it back on before I put my special plastic sleeve over it for double the protection.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2483/msvinyl001.jpg

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/8747/msvinyl003.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/636/msvinyl007.jpg

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/6369/msvinyl009.jpg

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7163/msvinyl012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

17525.jpg

I used to have this on vinyl, which was released in the late 80's. If my memory serves me correct there were a really cool version of Mandrake Root on it.. Somebody borrowed the record from me, haven't seen it since that day.

Edited by Swede

I used to have this on vinyl, which was released in the late 80's.

Yeah, called Scandinavian Nights ?

If my memory serves me correct there were a really cool version of Mandrake Root on it.. Somebody borrowed the record from me, haven't seen it since that day.

Yeah, that and Wring That Neck are both over 30 minutes long !

The version I just bought was released in 2005 and is remixed from the original master tapes. The running order of the tracks is also different to Scandinavian Nights as they had to change them around bit to suit the time restrictions of vinyl.

Excellent live album anyway. :)