JPJ at The Royal Albert Hall

warby

Went to see REM at the RAH last night and who was there but JPJ with Robyn Hitchcock.

Posted some photos at http://www.team-skinny-racing.com

Also have a vid clip which I will YouTube and post link.

Cheers

Warby

I made a thread in another section:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s...mp;#entry150804

Thanks for the pics, wasnt that just the greatest surpise EVER last night?

R.E.M. were awsome too! :D

Very nice photos, Warby -- thank you for sharing. Looks like Peter Buck joined in on Robyn & JPJ's set too, right?

P.S. I'm insanely jealous of all the great gigs you go to!! :) Seems it's all happening in Britain lately, music-wise ...

Very nice photos, Warby -- thank you for sharing. Looks like Peter Buck joined in on Robyn & JPJ's set too, right?

P.S. I'm insanely jealous of all the great gigs you go to!! :) Seems it's all happening in Britain lately, music-wise ...

Yeah, Peter did join them looking a little star struck. Peter also commented during the REM set that he was arguing back stage with JPJ about what year Led Zep played there, JPJ said it was 1970 but Peter said it was 1969 as he had the Bootleg! Anyone confirm who is right.

Trying to upload vid clip to YouTube but it keeps timing out, will let you know if it ever gets there!

I though REM were good but not great, it was a pretty short set and the sound was no brilliant where we were, but still pretty good.

Cheers

Warby

I though REM were go but not great, it was a pretty short set and the sound was no brilliant where we were, but still pretty good.

Cheers

Warby

I agree, the sound was a bit off and the set was dominated by their new album, which I dont usually mind but their album isnt even out yet!

EDIT: but saying that when Plant played the RAH and the Scala in '05 MR hadnt even come out yet but I completely loved his set. But there were still mega hits in Plant's set, the balance was just right, the balance was off last night.

There were some glaring omissions to the set: Everybody Hurts, Bad Day, Nightswimming etc.

I thought that they were great musicially but their set lacked sparkle, in fact the people sitting around me although heavily into the music like myself wernet completely into it as they didnt know the new songs or the lyrics. The feeling in the audience when they played Losing my Religion and the other couple of mega hits was never recaptured until Man on the Moon. I agree that 90 mins is a pretty short time to play for. This was broadcast and so I think its main objective was 'plug the new album.' I think their set when they come back to the UK will be much better, but I wont be seeing them, havent got the cash and I dont really like stadiums.

Also, maybe being preceeded by a member of the world's best band had something to do with it :D . I was still recovering from the surprise of JPJ by the time R.E.M. came on stage.

I agree, the sound was a bit off and the set was dominated by their new album, which I dont usually mind but their album isnt even out yet!

EDIT: but saying that when Plant played the RAH and the Scala in '05 MR hadnt even come out yet but I completely loved his set. But there were still mega hits in Plant's set, the balance was just right, the balance was off last night.

There were some glaring omissions to the set: Everybody Hurts, Bad Day, Nightswimming etc.

I thought that they were great musicially but their set lacked sparkle, in fact the people sitting around me although heavily into the music like myself wernet completely into it as they didnt know the new songs or the lyrics. The feeling in the audience when they played Losing my Religion and the other couple of mega hits was never recaptured until Man on the Moon. I agree that 90 mins is a pretty short time to play for. This was broadcast and so I think its main objective was 'plug the new album.' I think their set when they come back to the UK will be much better, but I wont be seeing them, havent got the cash and I dont really like stadiums.

Also, maybe being preceeded by a member of the world's best band had something to do with it :D . I was still recovering from the surprise of JPJ by the time R.E.M. came on stage.

I have been luck to see many great bands at The RAH and loved Robert's gig there. REM just lacked a sparkle and did not seem to connect to the audience. I have seen them a few times before and they have been excellent. The Hyde Park gig was fantastic and over 28 songs! May be they are just a bit rusty. Couple of the new songs did sound good though.

Video should be there now.

Cheers

Warby

Archived