The 1967 Dick Clark Caravan of Stars tour

Honeydripper

This was the tour during the brief dual lead guitar period where Jeff Beck decided to get off the bus two weeks into the tour.....never to return. From here on out Page and Grant were to take the helm of the Yardbirds into a new "psychedelic blues" direction and the ideas and spirit of what was to become Led Zeppelin were born.

The Dick Clark tours had been going on since the early 60's and mixed pop, soul, blues, and other various artists on the same bill. This tour featured....in order....The Distant Cousins, Jimmy Clanton, Brian Hyland, Bobby Hebb, The Yardbirds, Sam The Sham and the Pharaohs, and Gary Lewis and the Playboys. (kind of helps build an argumant for Beck's leaving IMO :P )

Here's a few pics of my tour program....which I found in a pile of used Hit Parade/Creem/Circus mags in a used record store for 99 cents back in the mid 80's. (you never know what you might find in those stores ;) )

img0017qj6.jpg

img0018fd8.jpg

img0019cn8.jpg

img0022nh1.jpg

img0023tw5.jpg

I have an original program from that tour too; it cost me a lot more than 99 cents!

The Caravan of Stars Tour was actually late 1966. Jeff Beck flaked out and left the

tour after the fourth gig (Oct 30, 1966 in Corpus Christie, TX). The Yardbirds went

on to cancel three appearances on this tour, two for illness (Nov 24-25) and the

date in Little Rock (Nov 4) for an undetermined reason.

October 28 1966FriAmarillo, TX USATri-State Fairgrounds ColiseumOctober 29 1966SatDallas, TX USAMemorial AuditoriumOctober 30 1966SunHarlingen, TX USACivic AuditoriumOctober 30 1966SunCorpus Christie, TX USAMemorial ColiseumOctober 31 1966MonBeaumont, TX USAMunicipal AuditoriumNovember 1 1966TueAlexandria, LA USAParrish Coliseum 5600 Coliseum Boulevard 71303-3709November 2 1966WedMagnolia, AR USASouthern State College - FieldhouseNovember 3 1966ThuDecatur, AL USADecatur High School - AuditoriumNovember 4 1966FriLittle Rock, AR USAArkansas State Fairgrounds - Barton Coliseum 2600 Howard 72206November 5 1966SatKansas City, KS USAMemorial HallNovember 6 1966SunBartlesville, OK USACivic CenterNovember 6 1966SunTulsa, OK USATulsa Assembly Center ArenaNovember 7 1966MonChanute, KS USAChanute Memorial AuditoriumNovember 8 1966TueDavenport, IA USARKO Orpheum TheaterNovember 9 1966WedTerre Haute, IN USAIndiana State University - Memorial Field HouseNovember 10 1966ThuSt. Louis, MO USAKiel AuditoriumNovember 11 1966FriIndianapolis, IN USAIndiana Fairgrounds ColiseumNovember 12 1966SatAkron, OH USACivic CenterNovember 12 1966SatAthens, OH USAOhio University - Grover CenterNovember 13 1966SunBaltimore, MD USACivic CenterNovember 14 1966MonPaintsville, KY USAPaintsville High School - GymnasiumNovember 15 1966TueBowling Green, KY USAUniversity of Western Kentucky - E.A. Diddle ArenaNovember 16 1966WedCookville, TN USATennessee Technological University - Memorial GymnasiumNovember 17 1966ThuMartin, TN USAUniversity of Tennessee - Field HouseNovember 18 1966FriDetroit, MI USAMichigan State Fairgrounds - Coliseum "Carnaby Street Fun Festival with Dick Clark and his Cavalcade of Mod Stars"November 19 1966SatDetroit, MI USAMichigan State Fairgrounds - Coliseum "Carnaby Street Fun Festival with Dick Clark and his Cavalcade of Mod Stars"November 20 1966SunDetroit, MI USAMichigan State Fairgrounds - Coliseum "Carnaby Street Fun Festival with Dick Clark and his Cavalcade of Mod Stars"November 21 1966MonRichmond, IN USACivic Hall Performing Arts Center 380 Hub Etchison ParkwayNovember 22 1966TuePittsburgh, PA USACivic ArenaNovember 23 1966WedPittsburgh, PA USACivic ArenaNovember 24 1966ThuBeckley, WV USARaleigh County Armory Civic Center 200 Armory DriveNovember 24 1966ThuCharleston, WV USACivic CenterNovember 25 1966FriWinston Salem, NC USAMemorial ColiseumNovember 26 1966SatWashington, D.C. USAWashington ColiseumNovember 27 1966SunHuntingdon, WV USACabell County Veterans Memorial Field House

I know the 66 Caravan of Stars tour included the Byrds, We Five, Paul Revere & The Raiders, and Bo Diddley and Soul Inc.. There's no mention of a date on the program so I figured it must be very early 67.

if you know for a fact that's the yr, I'll gladly chage my post title. I appreciate it.

that's stupid.....you can't edit thread titles...... Oh well, people will figure it out.

There's no mention of a date on the program so I figured it must be very early 67.

if you know for a fact that's the yr, I'll gladly chage my post title. I appreciate it.

that's stupid.....you can't edit thread titles...... Oh well, people will figure it out.

It's definately as the tour dates suggest. I collaborated with Greg Russo for the

concert chronology in his book 'Yardbirds - The Ultimate Rave Up'. Thanks to it,

there are only seven unconfirmed Jimmy Page performances with The Yardbirds,

and they all fall between Dec 26 1966 - Jan 2 1967.

• 3 months later...

Archived