Jimmys lack of intrest in the occult.

Cav

Just wondering what the story was behind Jimmys decline in interest in the occult? It seems in the days of Zep he had a great intrest and then it seemed to fall off. I know Jimmy was not into talking about it publicly and i was wondering if it still is an interest of his or did the "fade" of the 60's/70's wear off him as it seemed to do for other artists of that time?

Regards

Cav

Edited by Cav

Just wondering what the story was behind Jimmys decline in interest in the occult? It seems in the days of Zep he had a great intrest and then it seemed to fall off. I know Jimmy was not into talking about it publicly and i was wondering if it still is an interest of his or did the "fade" of the 60's/70's wear off him as it seemed to do for other artists of that time?

Regards

Cav

Oh, it's still there you just have to know where to look. Check out the front cover of the Page/Crowes album, for one recent example. More than meets the eye there.

So far as I know, he never sold off his Crowley artifacts and he had the second largest (if not the largest) collection in the world. Original manuscripts, his robe, cane, etc.

Would you say that with referance to the Crowes/Page album it more "promotional" then interest? I mean it is a well talked about thing in most topics about Page. Also he sold off Boleskine which was the Holy Grail for Crowley enthusiasts.The last i wanted to ask was there were rumours that Page payed for the reprinting of Crowleys works, i was wondering if anybody knew if that were true?

Thanks

Cav

Would you say that with referance to the Crowes/Page album it more "promotional" then interest? I mean it is a well talked about thing in most topics about Page. Also he sold off Boleskine which was the Holy Grail for Crowley enthusiasts.The last i wanted to ask was there were rumours that Page payed for the reprinting of Crowleys works, i was wondering if anybody knew if that were true?

Thanks

Cav

I wouldn't say promotional. I would say his occult interests often result in esoteric art

or symbology. The "JP" symbol from the Outrider era is another example, at least to me!

In February 1992 it was reported he sold Boleskine House and all 48 acres in Scotland for 2 1/2 million pounds. However, he was living on La Gorce Island (Florida) by that time so it wasn't as if he was using it as a weekend retreat. It required maintenance and a caretaker (Malcolm Dent) whom he had a falling out with. He still owned The Tower House as well as Old Mill House, in addition to his residence in Florida.

There's quite a bit of discussion concerning The Equinox in the "Jimmy and Krissy Wood Thread". Suffice to say he successfully had some of Crowley's manuscripts republished.

I am working on compiling a complete bibliography of all the works Jimmy selected for such treatment.

Edited by SteveAJones

well, I may be seeing ghosts here but i found it a bit suspicious that Jimmy broke his finger (and after a week or so it healed miraculously) and that the O2 gig needed to be delayed to the 10th of December 2007.

EXACTLY 100 years after Crowley was inducted as the headmaster of the O.T.O (Ordo Templi Orientis) on the 10th of December 1907.

If you add this to the fact

*that Jimmy's bow-moves are actually some kind of occult rite (expressing your energy to the 4 winds), also executed by Crowley "the beast" himself.

*that his symbol (as the only one of the band) was represented on stage.

*that his (in)famous guitar-bowing moment happened under a Pyramid of lasers (the pyramid is a very outspoken symbol to the hidden occult societies).

Now I know, this topic has been discussed a lot in the past. But when I heard that Jimmy broke his finger, and that the show had to be delayed to that exact date, I really didn't know what to think.

So i guess his "love" for the occult isn't really gone.

well, I may be seeing ghosts here...

So i guess his "love" for the occult isn't really gone.

;)

Obviously, he really did hurt his finger but when it came time to reschedule the show December 10th presented itself.

Not to give you any nightmares, but Page's fantasy sequence for 'The Song Remains The Same' was filmed under the light of a full moon on December 10-11 1973.

The MTV World premier telecast of Jimmy Page & Robert Plant Unledded aired October 12th (Crowley's birthday).

Etc. etc.

In 1971, Jimmy Page bought Boleskine House, Crowley's former hunting lodge and Scottish retreat.

Jimmy Page's daughter was named Scarlet Lilith Eleida Page, born March 1971. The Scarlet Woman was, "a technical term complementary to that of the Beast for the office held by any directly inspired female medium of the gods." [from the editor's notes, _The Confessions_.] Furthermore, Crowley used one of the names "Lilith" for his first child.

Vinyl etching on _Led Zeppelin III_ (1970) - side a - "Do What Thou Wilt", side b - "So Mote Be It"

Crowley wrote a poem entitled "The May Queen". this was referred to in the track _Stairway To Heaven_ off of _Led Zeppelin IV_ .

In a W. Someret Maugham's novel, _The Magician_, the character, Oliver Haddo was based on Aleister Crowley. The opening scene takes place in the "Chien Noir" [French for Black Dog]. The Black Dog in this novel is a take-off on the real "Chat Blanc" [White Cat], a small restaurant in Montparnasse [France]. track _Black Dog_ was supposedly inspired by a real, old Black Labrador who wandered on the scene. On the IV album, inner gatefold cover, put Barrington Colby work _View in Half or Varying Light_ up to a mirror and view the "Black Dog".

In 1973, Jimmy Page outbid Kenneth Anger for an Aleister Crowley book, _The Scented Garden of Abdullah the Satirist of Shiraz a.k.a. Bagh-i-Muattar_ (1914).

Page suggested "Swang Song" as the title of Led Zeppelin's record company. Aleister Crowley sometimes called himself Paramahansa (the divine Swan). Aleister wrote "and the wild swan sings ever; and my heart sings ever." [The Electric Silence] The Swan is the spirit of ecstasy and symbolizes the eternal self.

In 1976, Jimmy Page opened a bookshop and named it The Equinox. The bookstore sold Crowley paraphernalia and had the Stele of Revealing in tapestry form in the window.

Led Zeppelin's album, _Presence_ (1976), featured a strange object of the cover— an obelisk that many wondered what it was, and what it was supposed to symbolize. In the 'of the Furnishings of the Temple' section in _Magick and Theory and Practice_, an obelisk is mentioned. When speaking about what should be on the altar, Aleister states, "on each side of it should be a pillar or obelisk, with countercharges in black and white." [p.345]

The Old Absinthe Bar in New Orleans (located at 400 Bourbon Street) was rumored to have been the set-up or at least the inspiration for the cover scenes of _In Through the Out Door_. Led Zeppelin was known to be fond of New Orleans' French Quarter. Crowley also held a certain fondness for the Old Absinthe House as he recalls, "I took a room convieniently close to the Old Absinthe House, where one could get real absinthe prepared in fountains whose marble was worn by 90 years' continual dripping." The Old Absinthe House inspired Aleister Crowley's essay "The Green Goddess". Today, if you go to the Old Absinthe Bar there is a picture on the wall of Jimmy and his ex-wife, supposedly accompanied by a story of how they met there.

Jimmy Page's solo album was titled Outrider. There is a mention in Crowley's Diary of a Drug Fiend, "Oh Thou Outrider of the Sun, that spurrest the bloody flanks of the wind! I adore Thee, Evoe! I adore Thee, IAO!" [p.27 Diary of a Drug Fiend]. [iAO stands for Isis, Apophis, and Osiris... Egyptian gods].

My thanks to Theolyn Brock.

Edited by SteveAJones

wow Steve..

nice stuff

I don't think it's wrong to say page was (and maybe still is) a fan of occult stuff.

But saying he's satan's guitarist (as some would put it) just goes a bit too far.

Maybe he did try to summon some mystical powers through his music, maybe he didn't. Who knows... ?

Maybe it was just like Plant's references to Tolkien or something like that, just putting something that fascinated him into his music.

(by the way, I opened a new topic about this under the O2 forum)

and why did the 10th of December propose itself?

it was a monday... (here in Belgium we never have concerts of that scale on mondays ^^)

wow Steve..

nice stuff

I don't think it's wrong to say page was (and maybe still is) a fan of occult stuff.

But saying he's satan's guitarist (as some would put it) just goes a bit too far.

Maybe he did try to summon some mystical powers through his music, maybe he didn't. Who knows... ?

Maybe it was just like Plant's references to Tolkien or something like that, just putting something that fascinated him into his music.

(by the way, I opened a new topic about this under the O2 forum)

and why did the 10th of December propose itself?

it was a monday... (here in Belgium we never have concerts of that scale on mondays ^^)

That is always the way we have been. What we don't understand we call evil.

Cav

In 1971, Jimmy Page bought Boleskine House, Crowley's former hunting lodge and Scottish retreat.

Jimmy Page's daughter was named Scarlet Lilith Eleida Page, born March 1971. The Scarlet Woman was, "a technical term complementary to that of the Beast for the office held by any directly inspired female medium of the gods." [from the editor's notes, _The Confessions_.] Furthermore, Crowley used one of the names "Lilith" for his first child.

Vinyl etching on _Led Zeppelin III_ (1970) - side a - "Do What Thou Wilt", side b - "So Mote Be It"

Crowley wrote a poem entitled "The May Queen". this was referred to in the track _Stairway To Heaven_ off of _Led Zeppelin IV_ .

In a W. Someret Maugham's novel, _The Magician_, the character, Oliver Haddo was based on Aleister Crowley. The opening scene takes place in the "Chien Noir" [French for Black Dog]. The Black Dog in this novel is a take-off on the real "Chat Blanc" [White Cat], a small restaurant in Montparnasse [France]. track _Black Dog_ was supposedly inspired by a real, old Black Labrador who wandered on the scene. On the IV album, inner gatefold cover, put Barrington Colby work _View in Half or Varying Light_ up to a mirror and view the "Black Dog".

In 1973, Jimmy Page outbid Kenneth Anger for an Aleister Crowley book, _The Scented Garden of Abdullah the Satirist of Shiraz a.k.a. Bagh-i-Muattar_ (1914).

Page suggested "Swang Song" as the title of Led Zeppelin's record company. Aleister Crowley sometimes called himself Paramahansa (the divine Swan). Aleister wrote "and the wild swan sings ever; and my heart sings ever." [The Electric Silence] The Swan is the spirit of ecstasy and symbolizes the eternal self.

In 1976, Jimmy Page opened a bookshop and named it The Equinox. The bookstore sold Crowley paraphernalia and had the Stele of Revealing in tapestry form in the window.

Led Zeppelin's album, _Presence_ (1976), featured a strange object of the cover— an obelisk that many wondered what it was, and what it was supposed to symbolize. In the 'of the Furnishings of the Temple' section in _Magick and Theory and Practice_, an obelisk is mentioned. When speaking about what should be on the altar, Aleister states, "on each side of it should be a pillar or obelisk, with countercharges in black and white." [p.345]

The Old Absinthe Bar in New Orleans (located at 400 Bourbon Street) was rumored to have been the set-up or at least the inspiration for the cover scenes of _In Through the Out Door_. Led Zeppelin was known to be fond of New Orleans' French Quarter. Crowley also held a certain fondness for the Old Absinthe House as he recalls, "I took a room convieniently close to the Old Absinthe House, where one could get real absinthe prepared in fountains whose marble was worn by 90 years' continual dripping." The Old Absinthe House inspired Aleister Crowley's essay "The Green Goddess". Today, if you go to the Old Absinthe Bar there is a picture on the wall of Jimmy and his ex-wife, supposedly accompanied by a story of how they met there.

Jimmy Page's solo album was titled Outrider. There is a mention in Crowley's Diary of a Drug Fiend, "Oh Thou Outrider of the Sun, that spurrest the bloody flanks of the wind! I adore Thee, Evoe! I adore Thee, IAO!" [p.27 Diary of a Drug Fiend]. [iAO stands for Isis, Apophis, and Osiris... Egyptian gods].

My thanks to Theolyn Brock.

Steve,

You are a plethora of JPP info.

Dave

well, I may be seeing ghosts here but i found it a bit suspicious that Jimmy broke his finger (and after a week or so it healed miraculously) and that the O2 gig needed to be delayed to the 10th of December 2007.
Jimmy only sprang his little finger and it takes two to four weeks for complete recovery.

Jimmy only sprang his little finger and it takes two to four weeks for complete recovery.

It was broken (in 2 places?). But as it's a small bone and he would have had the best of medical care, it healed a little faster I suppose. Usually 6 weeks is the expected time for a large bone breakage, Page had a little over 5 weeks to recover.

In some ways, every true artist is an occultist. An artist needs to open oneself to a higher conciousness, to view the secrets of his or her art.

Jimmy does no more or less than a true artist would. He allows the Outside to come Inside - and there-in reveals his secrets to us all in various ways.

Crowley was no different, he related his findings to all who can see.

It was broken (in 2 places?). But as it's a small bone and he would have had the best of medical care, it healed a little faster I suppose. Usually 6 weeks is the expected time for a large bone breakage, Page had a little over 5 weeks to recover.

My bad!! I read he sprang it, however this comes from God himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-N42S8BFT8

What I also want to add is that Jimmy called Ahmet a "coconspirator" in a recent interview (about the O2 show). It's funny that he uses that word, because many believed that the world of Rock n Roll was ruled by conspiracies and secret societies. Also Crowley's O.T.O was seen as a conspiracy. Why did Page use thát word to tell us more about Ahmet's contribution to Led Zeppelin.

Also one thing more about Page's symbol being represented on stage.

I thought he lost faith in his symbol, it wasn't there on the Atlantic show, it wasn't there on the Live Aid one, also not represented in the Page/Plant tour, not with the Black Crowes, ... .

And then there it was, as the only symbol, as if it never was any different.

Oh, it's still there you just have to know where to look. Check out the front cover of the Page/Crowes album, for one recent example. More than meets the eye there.

So far as I know, he never sold off his Crowley artifacts and he had the second largest (if not the largest) collection in the world. Original manuscripts, his robe, cane, etc.

Steve, didn't Ross Halfin photograph Page wearing an OTO t-shirt while on holiday at Angkor Wat in Cambodia a couple of years ago? It seems Jimmy still has an interest....

What I also want to add is that Jimmy called Ahmet a "coconspirator" in a recent interview (about the O2 show). It's funny that he uses that word, because many believed that the world of Rock n Roll was ruled by conspiracies and secret societies. Also Crowley's O.T.O was seen as a conspiracy. Why did Page use thát word to tell us more about Ahmet's contribution to Led Zeppelin.

I thought he lost faith in his symbol, it wasn't there on the Atlantic show, it wasn't there on the Live Aid one, also not represented in the Page/Plant tour, not with the Black Crowes, ... .

The runes or symbols were only ever associated with Led Zeppelin, particularly the fourth album.

However they did crop up during the Page and Plant years and with Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes.

logpphb6.jpg

These Page & Plant symbols were on the cover of the official program for the 1996 Australian tour.

liveatthegreekwb9.jpg

Yeah, that's true. I've broken my left hand's finger in November too and it took 15 days to recover. Actually I don't care very much about Page's interests, I only enjoy his music, without looking for "obscure things". Plus, I on't believe in occult.

PS: Excuse me for the bad spell :thanku:

When Jimmy called Ahmet a "coconspirator", I didnt' think that he was referring to anything that had to do with a conspiracy, secret society or OTO. My interpretation of the quote was based on the fact that, when LZ, the Stones, and other rockers were touring and Ahmet Ertegun accompanied them, he would be around every matter of "strange and unusual" activities. Ertegun appeared matter-of-fact and nonjudgmental. When he was discussing and focused on business-related matters (sometimes right in the middle of the antics), he was (seemingly) detached from what was going on around him. No doubt another reason why the rockers loved him. At last year's Ertegun tribute at Jazz at Lincoln Center, Mick Jagger referred to him as a "wicked uncle". So, when I saw that quote, my first thought was that it pertained to what transpired during the tours and Ertegun's acceptance of the rockers' lifestyle. Ertegun saw many things that he could have reported on or written about in a sensationalized "tell-all" book but he was discreet and chose to keep what he saw confidential. I can understand why so many rockers had great respect for him. JMO. :)

I don't specifically recall an OTO t-shirt being worn but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I do

doubt it was the one photo-shopped in the thread above LOL!

This doesn't look photoshopped to me. It would be a lot of effort.... Note the distortion on the pic above - this is a lens distortion and to superimpose the logo with the same distortion would be very difficult.

jimmy-page-colour73.jpg

travel-bw92.jpg

Note how the shape of the logo is different in the B&W compare to the others, as Jimmy's body is turned to the side. If this is photoshopped it is very elaborate and I have never seen Ross photoshop any other images for a laugh.

Edited by Cactus