Killer Bonzo beats

TypeO

I designated studio because I don't own any bootlegs, except for the snippets on the 2-DVD set.

For me, the flurry of beats 12 seconds into The Wanton Song makes me "feel funny down there" erry time I hear it.

What other killer beats make you crazy?

I have a really hard time trying to narrow it down because, there are so, many that are just amazing. For me no one plays like Bonzo did. Although I do have some other favorite drummers that I've come across in recent years that have amazing talent.

In no particular order here are some of my favorites:

Wanton Song

How Many More Times

Sick Again

The Ocean

When The Levee Breaks

Achilles Last Stand

Royal Orleans

The Crunge

The Rover

Hots On For Nowhere

Candy Store Rock

Dazed and Confused

Celebration Day

Communication Breakdown

D'yer Mak'er

Fool In The Rain

Good Times Bad Times

How Many More Times

The list like the wheel rolls on. But, I'll stop there for now.

Nobody's Fault But Mine

It's so powerful how he maintains a practically separate beat from that wailing lead, and then it flows back together.

Also the end of STH how Bonzo and Page seem to be slowing down at different rates, yet it flows back together eventually.

The coordination it takes to play drums always blows me away, and Bonzo takes my amazement to whole new spheres.

That flutter in Wanton for sure

Right near the end of Custard Pie (drop down, drop down) he drops two huuuuuuge tom hits

The first lonely, lonely fill of the new movie soundtrack's Rock n Roll, that wasn't on the old one! Its freakish...

and about 10,000 others

In My Time Of Dying sends shivers down me everytime, it's a-mazing. A very, very worthy mention also to When The Levee Breaks and, naturally, Moby Dick.

Agree with these choices and would add Gallow Pole

• 4 weeks later...
And Kashmir as well.

Who else in rock history has the right foot of Bonzo?

Nicko McBrain has!!! But he is a great fan of Bonzo :)

By the way: His best beats are in "Fool in the rain" "Misty mountain hop" "GTBT" and of course many others (maybe all? :rolleyes: ). It was just Bonzos playing that brought me to Led Zeppelin (and Jimmys Stairway solo in TSRTS movie)

I would say there are quite a few to name.

When The Levee Breaks

Kashmir

Fool In The Rain

The Wanton Song

How Many More Times

Moby Dick

In My Time Of Dying

......oh my....i'm going to stop...there are so many...i don't want to slight any of them. :shifty:

I agree with everyone's response. I didn't see Whole Lotta Love, the beat he lays down really makes that song more interesting. Like Jimmy and JPJ are the foundation and Bonzo is soloing with his crazy pattern :) The more I listen to the man, the more I see why they didn't go on without him unlike other bands. For so long, I was all about Pagey. Now that I am older I am more and more impressed with John. I was listening to Dallas '73 (Fractured Ribs) last night and he was blowing me away during No Quarter. There will never be anyone as creative, yet driving that beat like Bonzo. RIP.

Peace.

Nicko McBrain has!!! But he is a great fan of Bonzo :)

By the way: His best beats are in "Fool in the rain" "Misty mountain hop" "GTBT" and of course many others (maybe all? :rolleyes: ). It was just Bonzos playing that brought me to Led Zeppelin (and Jimmys Stairway solo in TSRTS movie)

nicko! he is good, actually! "up your irons!" as they used to say..."tell me why I had to be a powerslave...I dont wanna die, i'm a god, why cant i live on...."

They were one of the few good things post-zep! the bass player Steve Harris was an awesome musician, as well..

whoops, sorry off thread there a minute...

um, killer Bonzo beats...easy.

I have a memory of being 15. I have some lz albums. I do not own my own record player at that point and had to play my records in the family/living room. One day my dad was sitting in the living room reading the paper. I had been doing the same while listening to the first album. The lp got to the end, with the bass line and drums lock in rythmn for "How Many More Times". I notice my dad (a career city cop) bouncing his feet in time to the record...It was the first time I had seen this hardened homicide detective enjoy led zeppelin...and then bonzo comes crashing in, followed soon after by jimmy...now that's a killer-fucking-bonzo-beat!!! You know the part...at the beginning bonzo comes blastin' in, cannons 'a blazin'...

IN MY TIME OF DYING!!!!

That's gotta be the one, isn't it?

hell yeah!! the artillery he unleashes at the end of the song blows me away!!!!!!!

sick again as well!!!!!

every tune blows me away, Wanton is my favorite!!!!!!! :D

recently I heard a Youtube of Bonzo practicing Fool In The Rain in the studio - I've never paid that close attention before, but his drumming on that track is truly masterful.

I, too, have developed an entirely new appreciation for how unique and brilliant he was.

Archived