The bassist basement

Pb Derigable

I notice a lack of bass guitar talk, lots of 6 stringers, but what about the 4 or 5 stringers.

I have a Squire P-Bass with converted to a P/J with EMG pickups. I'm almost sure my next one will be the Fender 24. It's a Fender jazz with a 24 fret neck with 3band EQ, Active/passive mode, and Seymour Duncan pickups. I'm still trying to figure if i could throw in a Series/Parallel switch in it. I just finally found the "JPJ" strings which is called "Piano style" by Rotosound, i should be getting them in the mail soon. I have a peavey 12in combo and a 400watt SWR rig with 4x10 and 1x15, but i mostly play through the peavey.

So what kind of a bass do you guys own, what do you like. Strings, amps, effects? Which bassist do you think been most influential to you. my top 5 in no particular order.

John Paul Jones ( My Hero)

John Entwistle

Geddy Lee

Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band)

Justin Chancellor (Tool)

Ive listened to the Victor Wooden and Jaco Pastorus and too me they are just wanna be guitarist, but they are highly skilled.

Im still up for suggestions for new basses and money is no option

Yeah I hate my squire. When i went in to get the new P/U installed, the guy looked at me like i was insane. I told him why i wanted it and he said just go buy the squire Jazz or P/J. I told him i thought about it, but if i was going to buy a new bass, its going to be the one. Yeah i always loved the Fender Jazz, i started to get into Washburn's and Spectors, but i just didn't like playing them, plus i sand down the neck because i hate the feel of lacquer, so I can't buy anything with a painted. You should really look at the fender 24, it's basically a Fender Jazz with more control options, like the Jaguar, which i don't like just because the way it looks. Still, the best bass i played is just the $500 Standard Fender Jazz, but i want a slightly different look and the extras that comes with the fender 24.

My Gibson Firebird is still my greatest treasure. I wanted one for the longest time and got the chance to purchase one really cheap off a friend who didn't want it anymore. I changed the pick ups on it and gave it a nice polish. The thing sounds fuckin' bad ass.

I like bass:

big_bass_are_harder_to_catch.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Joking aside, I have just taken on a student that wants to learn bass. I've told him that he actually needs a bass guitar first otherwise it will be useless him spending money for an hour each week to learn something that he can't practice.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought about starting another Suggestion Thread like I did on the old thread, but this'll do

I need help...

Which should I get. I'm pretty set on getting a Les Paul bass, problem is I don't know if I want to get the Gibson or Epiphone one. I'm not great, but my Squire-shit is simply dying on me and I need a quality bass with good sound. It only has to last a couple of years until I purchase my dream bass (Fender Jazz Bass, not gonna post details or anything).

I'm leaning towards Epihphone because it's cheaper and they always make quality guitars, so I figure this can't be that bad. I heard from another person that they both sound the same. Anyone else have a thought on the subject?

i sorry i didn't know you posted.

Buy squier jazz bass. I know you don;t like squier but you can buy a good one thats is usually better than any American made one. The only reason i think my squire is a piece of shit is because i didn't know nothing about guitars 10 years ago. even a active electronic squire jazz goes for only $300 and even the cheap fender jazz is only $450. I don't like Gibson so i won't give you any opinions on them. I still can't decide on a bass and it's been 3 years. so last year i just put new pickups and hardware on my squire. i just painted the headstock flat black. It will only sell for $25, but it plays good and sounds good

still if want your dream bass, wait until you feel comfortable to put it on payments. a $1200 you can get for $50 a month and if you pay it off in a year, the interest is almost nothing. I bought my bass rig that way and ended up paying it off in 3 months.

How much are you willing to spend on your next guitar. if you don't mind me asking.

Well I don't want to spend above a thousands bucks.

The reason I don't want a Jazz bass right now Pb, is that it's literally at the top of my list for guitars. I want a Fender Jazz Bass more than anything else. But, since it's my dream bass, I want to buy a top-notch one, not a cheaper model. I figure I'll spend the money when I have it (after college or so), but for now, I just want a quality bass with good sound, so I turned to Gibson (even though I much prefer Fender basses).

Squier is not that bad, yes it does not compare to a fender, but it get the job done. The only thing agaist them is they look shitty. so having it to bang around in your dorm room for the next 4 years may not be bad. Im starting to come around on gibsons, but i only heard bad things about them.

The jazz that you want, is it the american series that sells for 1,400. even the brand new fender jazz for 450 has pickup switching to add to the tone.

Well I'm a bassist

My collection is mostly 60's basses, such as a Hofner Senator and Hofner Artist (the solid body bass)

Also an Eko violin bass.

The Hofner Senator, a beautiful-looking hollow body rounded bass with f-holes, but can sometimes be a complete bitch to amp, because of the fact its a single pickup, which is placed right at the very end of the neck, which of course means is a very bassy, thumpy sound, sometimes it's too boomy, and bandmates will complain...Plays beautifully though with black nylon flatwound strings

I did have a Rick 4001, but I got rid of it as I could never get a decent tone out of it. I also have a fretless Ibanez Fender P Bass copy, which is quite interesting to play, if you set it up right, you can make it almost sound like a double bass.

Most of my basses are shortscale because I have such little fingers! It's one of the main reasons why I'm not interested in going anywhere near a 5 string bass because my fingers would never get round it. I'm thinking of buying a Fender Mustang bass, maybe, I also want to add the Danelectro Longhorn to my collection ;)

Squier is not that bad, yes it does not compare to a fender, but it get the job done. The only thing agaist them is they look shitty. so having it to bang around in your dorm room for the next 4 years may not be bad. Im starting to come around on gibsons, but i only heard bad things about them.

The jazz that you want, is it the american series that sells for 1,400. even the brand new fender jazz for 450 has pickup switching to add to the tone.

Yeah, but still, I'd prefer to go all-out when I get a Jazz.

I used to hear bad things about Gibson basses, but I've played a few, and the Les Paul was fuckin shweet, so I decided, why not?

• 1 month later...

Any thoughts on getting an Ibanez bass? I've heard great things, but I haven't played one yet (obviously I will but I'd still like to know other peoples' opinions)

I'm not a beginner (anymore) but I'm not awesome, so I guess I'm intermediate. I'd like my next bass to hold me over for a few years so it's got to be sturdy and reliable.

So what do you guys think, just how good are they?

Any thoughts on getting an Ibanez bass? I've heard great things, but I haven't played one yet (obviously I will but I'd still like to know other peoples' opinions)

I'm not a beginner (anymore) but I'm not awesome, so I guess I'm intermediate. I'd like my next bass to hold me over for a few years so it's got to be sturdy and reliable.

I had an Ibanez P-bass copy, and the original owner took out the frets and sanded the finger board down a bit to turn it into a fretless. I thought it was great. I could make it sound like a double bass. I even used it during a production of West Side Story, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble with Ibanez.

Ibanez Soundgear are good quality, easy to play, good looking, and not too expensive. If you can spend in the 400-700 range, check out Spector basses.

Uh, IMO.... ;)

I thought about starting another Suggestion Thread like I did on the old thread, but this'll do

I'm leaning towards Epihphone because it's cheaper and they always make quality guitars, so I figure this can't be that bad. I heard from another person that they both sound the same. Anyone else have a thought on the subject?

I didn't see this thread before, so I started a " Beginner Bass Thoughts" one. Some information in this thread really goes against what others offered in that thread, though - glad I checked here.

By the way, Jack Casady has a personal model hollowbody Epiphone that sells for around $ 900.00. He claims to take totally stock samples from production on tour all the time. He usually plays the first set unplugged, then plugs in for the second set. I've never seen him break a sweat, or have equipment troubles.

I'm leaning toward the Ibanez soundgear, for my first bass. It's the only one in my price range that I don't get conflicting opinions on...

Always, and I cannot stress this enough, play what's in your budget. But play as many as you can. Take them off the wall and hit the loud room! So many people pick what they want from reviews or color, or bodystyle, whatnot. And too many regret it. I've been through it. Find an instrument that has a voice. No buzzy frets. A nice slab of resonant wood. I know music stores can be a hostile environment, with little kids blazing away making horrible noise, but if you have cash in pocket, and are serious about a purchase, take every advantage! Don't be shy about it! Play it like you mean it! That room ain't just for when Slash goes shopping! Besides, you know what these guys at Guitar Center make? More if you buy something! Don't be intimidated by being a first time buyer! Don't let some spotty faced kid tell you "I like the Ibanez". If you like the Ibanez, play all ten they have in stock! When I've bought my guitars, the first thing I do is walk the wall and knock on each and every one. Literally! When one piece of wood stands out, I inspect the fretwork. Then, and only then, I plug the fucker in and see if it sings. And not into some random amp on the showroom floor. No! I take it into the quiet room and plug it into the best goddamn amp I can find, and play it like I INTEND to play it. Then I know. Trust me! :beer:

There's a quiet room in these places - like a cone of silence? That would be good! But like you said - why shouldn't I just grab a few, and let it rip? It's not like I'll be arrested, for disturbing the peace. Maybe they'll just give me one for free - just to get me out of the place? Nice stradsgety - thanks!

Most music stores have a room for serious buyers, where they keep the good shit. The upscale amps and guitars and such. Just ask the salesman if there's somewhere you can get away from the noise and decide if this is really the instrument you want to buy. Fuckin use it! :beer:

And you little bastards banging away with no cash in your pocket, stay the fuck out of there! That's what the main floor is for! Enter fucking Sandman, Teen Spirit, endless noise making....don't get me started!! If you can't afford a guitar, please don't learn how to play through a 100watt Marshall stack in the middle of the showroom! :rolleyes:

Thank you. :beer:

Archived