Favorite Guitar Solos

The Rover

While TIME is great, i would say anything from "Animals" is even better. You also can't leave out the songs off "Meddle" or "Wish You Were Here" for David Gilmour brilliance.

I love Meddle. Pillow of Winds, Echoes......just sheer sensual and technical genius. Let's face it, the guy could play the Alphabet Song on his guitar and it would sound amazing, it's just for me.....I don't think Time or even Money gets enough credit as some of his best solos.

I have the Classic Albums DVD for DSOTM and listening to him talk about how he created the guitar sounds was just so fascinating to me.

David Gilmour is truly amazing in his technical abilities. He never got the credit he deserved, IMO. Next to Jimmy Page, David is my favorite guitarist. I saw that on VHI (i believe you are talking about the same thing) and it was very interesting. Did you know, before Pink Floyd, David Gilmour was a model?

So i have noticed you are also a Springsteen fan. Do you have any favorite solo's from that cat?

I would believe it.....poor guy had to eat. :lol:

My favorite Springsteen solos.....Cover Me, Born In The USA, Radio Nowhere and One Step Up all have great guitar moments in them. I think One Step Up is the is the most underrated of them all.

• 2 years later...

I knew a search would lead me to at least one thread of this.

Here are some of mine.

"Toda Tu Vida" - Días De Blues

"Highway Star" - Deep Purple

"Watermelon In Easter Hay" - Frank Zappa

"Achilles Last Stand" - Jimmy Page

"Las Guerras" - Vox Dei

"Tren de las 16" - Pappo's Blues

Ride The Lightning - Metallica

Beyond The Realms of Death - Judas Priest

Stairway To Heaven

Dazed And Confused from TSRTS

Whiplash - Metallica

Blackened - Metallica

Dyer's Eve - Metallica

Stained Class - Judas Priest

The Four Horsemen - Metallica

Am I Evil? - Diamond Head

Grinder - Judas Priest

The Antichrist - Slayer

Fight Til Death - Slayer

those are just some solos that I like a lot, I'll post more later.

"Sympathy For The Devil" from The Rolling Stones Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!

Great interplay between Richards and Taylor.

"Sway" from Carla Olson (with Mick Taylor) Too Hot For Snakes

Mick Taylor picks up where he left off on Sticky Fingers with a beautiful extended solo at the end of the song.

From Zeppelin:

No Quarter - Almost any live version, except maybe some of the shakier '77 performances.

Achilles Last Stand

Stairway To Heaven (Although I do prefer the live versions)

Dazed and Confused (Again, mostly live)

I Can't Quit You Babe

Ten Years Gone

There's but I shall stop there.

Neil Young:

Cowgirl In The Sand

Down By The River (especially with CSNY)

Cortez The Killer

Scenery

Southern Man

Like a Hurricane

Lynyrd Skynyrd:

Freebird

Simple Man

That Smell

Pink Floyd:

Echoes

Time

Money

Comfortably Numb

Sheep

Dogs

Rolling Stones:

Sympathy For The Devil (live from Get Yer Ya Ya's Out, as mentioned earlier in the thread.)

Midnight Rambler

Jimi Hendrix:

Hear My Train a Comin'

Machine Gun

Izabella

Fire

Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

Hey Joe

Foxey Lady

Ten Years After:

I'm Going Home

Help Me

I Can't Keep From Cryin' Sometimes

There is more, but that is a pretty big list. Will add to it when I can be arsed. :D

A lot of great ones here already. Here are some that I agree with:

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven, Since I've Been Loving You, Whole Lotta Love, The Song Remains the Same, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Dazed and Confused (the list goes on; Jimmy Page rocks!)

Jimi Hendix - All Along the Watchtower, Voodoo Child, Bold as Love, Purple Haze

The Eagles - Hotel California

The Who - Baba O'Reilly, Won't Get Fooled Again

The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps (though it's Eric Clapton, technically)

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long, Highway to Hell

Deep Purple - Smoke in the Water

Cream - Sunshine of Your Love

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird

Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing

Here are my others:

Carlos Santana - Black Magic Woman

Eddie Van Halen for Michael Jackson - Beat It

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water

I'm going crazy choosing my favorites :lol: . I guess these will do for now.

"Stairway To Heaven" - Led Zeppelin

"Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin

"Since I've Been Loving You" - Led Zeppelin

"Dazed And Confused" - Led Zeppelin

"Thank You" - Led Zeppelin (both live and studio)

"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - Led Zeppelin

"Heartbreaker" - Led Zeppelin

"Achilles Last Stand" - Led Zeppelin

And many more by Led Zeppelin

"Little Wing" - Jimi Hendrix

"All Along The Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix

"Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - Jimi Hendrix

"Hey Joe" - Jimi Hendrix

"Comfortably Numb" - Pink Floyd

"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" - Pink Floyd

"Time" - Pink Floyd

"Child In Time" - Deep Purple

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - The Beatles

"Let It Be" - The Beatles

"Crossroads" - Cream

"Sunshine Of Your Love" - Cream

"White Room" - Cream

"Hotel California" - Eagles

"Free Bird" - Lynyrd Skynyrd

"November Rain" - Guns N' Roses

"Sweet Child O' Mine" - Guns N' Roses

"Layla" - Derek And The Dominos

Just a few of them. :)

I used to be pretty big on deciding which guitar solos I thought were good, but I decided that a guitar solo is just part of the song at large, so I don't like to dwell on which ones are better than others too much. If it fits the song, it's good.

* Larry Carlton (Steely Dan) - "Kid Charlemagne".

Just as good as "Reelin' in the Years".

* Brian May (Queen) - "The Prophet's Song".

First few times I heard the solo it seemed out of place, but the more I've listened, the more I like the tone and phrasing. Apparently uses some kind of time-based effect, damned if I know what it was though.

Yeah, Tom Morello is the shit. For the uninformed, he's the guitarist of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave. Both bands shared the same three instrumentalists (Tom Morello - guitarist; Tim Commerford - bassist; Brad Wilk - drummer), the only difference (in terms of membership) was the vocalist: Zack de la Rocha, a politically radical rapper, in Rage Against the Machine; Chris Cornell, former vocalist of Soundgarden, in Audioslave. The difference in vocalists made for a drastic change from hardcore rap verses to eclectic, personal vocals. Not a bad change though: Morello, Commerford, and Wilk weren't being wasted by any means. Morello is good enough to shred, but he's never shown any interest in it. He isn't a low-key grunge player either. Morello experiments with electric toys and unconventional playing techniques to achieve the sounds he wants. Morello isn't dependent on tricks, they enhance his style. Plus, he keeps it pretty fresh by constantly experimenting instead of relying on the same old tone. He continues to make solid music even now when rock seems weak. His riffs are Page-worthy in the best. A major influence on his style was DJs because they aren't bound by rhythmic limitations. In any case, your average Morello solo will be interesting, and when he pulls it off, the effect is just awesome. I could go on about his life, but here are some examples of good solos by him:

* Rage Against the Machine - "Killing in the Name".

My favorite Morello solo by far. Just so cool.

* Rage Against the Machine - "Bulls on Parade".

Not as epic as the solo in "Killing in the Name", but it still impresses. The effect was made by toggling the pick-up switch and rubbing his hands over the strings, which somehow made it sound like a DJ scratching vinyl. Go figure.

* Audioslave - "Like a Stone".

I've always been of the slight opinion that the instrumental work in this track doesn't quite fit Cornell's vocal style and lyrical content, but it's a minor complaint at best - the solo here is still something to behold.

My favorite guitar solo (and song) is "Stairway to Heaven". It's beautiful, ethereal even. Although I've said this on more than one of my posts, it's like a glimpse at an angel flying. The whole song is like a divine revelation.

I wonder if people would think that way about STH if the song hadn't been beaten to death by rock radio. I hear so many people talking about the song or Jimmy's solo in it like it's some kind of religious experience, and I often wonder if they feel that way because it's been drilled into their skulls almost constantly for the last 39 years or if they'd think that way if they'd never heard the song before and just right now played it. I have the same complaints about a whole host of other songs, so it's not like I'm singling Stairway out or picking on it unnecessarily.

I wonder if people would think that way about STH if the song hadn't been beaten to death by rock radio. I hear so many people talking about the song or Jimmy's solo in it like it's some kind of religious experience, and I often wonder if they feel that way because it's been drilled into their skulls almost constantly for the last 39 years or if they'd think that way if they'd never heard the song before and just right now played it. I have the same complaints about a whole host of other songs, so it's not like I'm singling Stairway out or picking on it unnecessarily.

Before I ever listened to STH I heard it had one of the best solos but once I actually listened to the song I was very much underwhelmed. Just my opinion though.

Although I could easily be called one of countless people to praise "Stairway to Heaven", I've actually never had the pleasure of hearing it on the radio (except Pandora). The first time I heard the song I was not blown away (it just struck me as a pleasant if slightly too long song). Every time that I've heard the song (that I am aware of), it was on the internet. Looking back, that post was a bit overdone, but I still stand by the generality of what I said. The reason I listened to it is because so many people prior to me are/were obssessed with the song (because of its airplay), and the song struck a chord with me after God only knows how many times I had listened to it (don't get me wrong, it's not like I listened to the song over and over just to try to get it).

Funny, I was talking to a dude who thought Led Zeppelin was overrated recently. I have a Led Zeppelin patch (Mothership cover, about 2 by 2 inches) which is sewn onto my jeans, and he came over to me and said he thought it was overrated, specifically because of all the praise given to "Stairway to Heaven". I didn't share his sentiment of course, but I wasn't going to get angry at another guy because we didn't have the same exact taste. Besides, he wasn't being a douche about it.

I don't think Led Zeppelin is overrated at all and I'm often shocked when people DO say that. It shows to me, a fundamental lack of understanding about the band and their influence over rock music and popular culture. That said, I think Stairway to Heaven is overrated, though. It's a good song, nowhere near the band's worst......but nowhere near their best either, IMO. So for me, Jimmy's solo in the song is good but to me he did a hell of a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived